Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #406 of 972
The Ophidian are not sold in the United States. ;-(

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #407 of 972
Ok, as I contemplate adding another vidar to the mix the thought of having to turn on and off three power switches for the rag and two vidars just to listen to music is annoying. I guess I could bring my power strip out from behind the cabinet and use the main power switch but that's inelegant and ugly. I've been looking at silver power conditioners that would match the silver rag and vidars but haven't been able to find a reasonably priced one. Any suggestions or other solutions?

I have my Tacx Neo wireless indoor bike ac power controlled by a remote controlled wireless outlet, https://tinyurl.com/ycuf5gw. If you plugged your audio devices into your power strip, and the strip power cord into the remote wireless outlet (plugged into an ac wall outlet), you could remotely turn on-off your audio devices, all together.

Just make sure that the wireless remote outlet can handle the total audio devices current. You may be able to code 2 or more wireless remotes to the same code, and split the audio devices among two or more power strips, if required.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #408 of 972
I have my Tacx Neo wireless indoor bike ac power controlled by a remote controlled wireless outlet, https://tinyurl.com/ycuf5gw. If you plugged your audio devices into your power strip, and the strip power cord into the remote wireless outlet (plugged into an ac wall outlet), you could remotely turn on-off your audio devices, all together.

Just make sure that the wireless remote outlet can handle the total audio devices current. You may be able to code 2 or more wireless remotes to the same code, and split the audio devices among two or more power strips, if required.
That is an interesting way of doing it as well. I didn't think of that. Thanks for the info.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #409 of 972
Ok, as I contemplate adding another vidar to the mix the thought of having to turn on and off three power switches for the rag and two vidars just to listen to music is annoying. I guess I could bring my power strip out from behind the cabinet and use the main power switch but that's inelegant and ugly. I've been looking at silver power conditioners that would match the silver rag and vidars but haven't been able to find a reasonably priced one. Any suggestions or other solutions?
Line conditioner works fine for me

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #410 of 972
My Schiity two channel system is coming together. I put the Rag into the mix today. I had planned on getting another Vidar to used the balanced out of the Rag but the single Vidar drives my 4ohm Dalis effortlessly.
How does it sound?

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #412 of 972
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #413 of 972
Line conditioner works fine for me
I've been going back and forth the past couple of weeks. I can get a used Belkin Pure AV p60 for fairly cheap but I like the automatic voltage regulation of the Panamax M400 pm and the Furman Elite 15i pfi. I like the display of the Panamax but it only has 2 high voltage outlets vs 4 on the Furman. The APC H15 is in the mix as well but I don't believe it has the option for unswitched outlets.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #414 of 972
Shall sound lovely. My friend uses hifi amphions in his studio driven with pro yamaha great nearfields!

They don't seem loud/big enough, probably going to exchange them for 3S or Helium 520.

Other than that they sound incredible, this is driving them w/ a PS Audio Sprout100.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #415 of 972
A85CD0EA-B147-4936-A4A2-526EBFA70080.jpeg
Hey folks... Hope you are all having a great summer (well, those in the Northern hemisphere anyways... :)

Just wanted to share my happiness of receiving a new "toy" that is complementing my pile of Schiit... I just got the power amp from Audio Electronics/Cary Audio (Hercules) hooked up to the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost DAC... Sweeeeeeet! I AM a happy puppy!!! Well, even happier now... :)

I have a question though... When I was using the (solid state) receiver as amp... my speakers were DEAD quiet without humming... BUT now with the EL34's I can notice a low humming coming from the speakers... Nothing crazy, but if I DO pay attention, it's there...

I will be playing with placing the DAC away from the power amp, and maybe try to isolate the problem... cables/which equipment is causing it, etc... but wondering if it's kind of "normal" from a tube perspective... Ideas??? :)

Cheers!

=====
post fix edit :) :) :);

I ended up disconnecting everything and reconnecting one component at a time, so now everything is running from a single power bar.

Also, i moved the schiit stack away from the power amp. Bifrost and Valhalla 2 are far way from the power amp.

The 2 components that have 2 prong plugs have also been moved to another outlet.

The photo above is how the setup looks now! I am a happy puppy for sure!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #417 of 972
Just finally redid my setup. It is now more even as the speakers are parallel and towed in a little instead of being on each side of me as the computer displays were in the corner of the corner desk.

Think I am done with this setup:
Yggy>>Loki>>Freya>>Vidar>>B&W 805 Signatures and SVS SB1000.

Sweet setup indeed!
Yggy/Vidar/Freya combo looks amazing... and HUGE hehe :) I am used my tiny pile of Schiit... :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #418 of 972
Hey everyone - I just got a Vidar a few days ago and have a question, thought I might ask here. I emailed Schiit tech support 5 or 6 days ago and have not had a response. Maybe it's a stupid question and that's why they didn't answer.

My system is Onkyo DX 7555 CD player, Freya, Vidar, Monitor Audio Silver 10 (4 ohm, 90 dB sens.)

At a fairly loud listening level (I don't have a dB meter), the volume knob on the Freya is about the 4 or 5 o' clock position. It's almost out of headroom on the volume knob. This is in tube stage with NOS Sylvania and Tung Sol tubes. I was kind of expecting more headroom on the volume with a preamp and amp of the same maker. The source is an Onkyo DX 7555 - the line output of the Onkyo is 2v. I guess what I am trying to say is I was expecting a fairly loud volume to be in the 2 o clock area on the volume, not 4 or 5 o clock. Is it because of the source? Here are the specs on the CD player:

Description: Single-box, fixed-output CD player with remote control. Formats played: CD, MP3 CD, CD-R/RW. D/A conversion: 24-bit/192kHz with switchable "Slow" and "Sharp" reconstruction filters. Analog outputs: 1 pair (RCA). Digital outputs: coaxial S/PDIF, TosLink. Headphone jack with volume control. Four-mode dimmer. Frequency range: 2Hz–20kHz. Signal/noise: 111dB. Dynamic range: 100dB. THD: 0.0027%. Maximum output level: 2.0V RMS. Output impedance: 470 ohms. Power consumption: 3W.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/onkyo-dx-7555-cd-player-specifications#4iIi3RJzGIb1wyBK.99

Should I be concerned about the lack of headroom? Is it because of the source or the speakers? There isn't anything unusual about the system.

Thanks, David

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #419 of 972
Hey everyone - I just got a Vidar a few days ago and have a question, thought I might ask here. I emailed Schiit tech support 5 or 6 days ago and have not had a response. Maybe it's a stupid question and that's why they didn't answer.

My system is Onkyo DX 7555 CD player, Freya, Vidar, Monitor Audio Silver 10 (4 ohm, 90 dB sens.)

At a fairly loud listening level (I don't have a dB meter), the volume knob on the Freya is about the 4 or 5 o' clock position. It's almost out of headroom on the volume knob. This is in tube stage with NOS Sylvania and Tung Sol tubes. I was kind of expecting more headroom on the volume with a preamp and amp of the same maker. The source is an Onkyo DX 7555 - the line output of the Onkyo is 2v. I guess what I am trying to say is I was expecting a fairly loud volume to be in the 2 o clock area on the volume, not 4 or 5 o clock. Is it because of the source? Here are the specs on the CD player:

Description: Single-box, fixed-output CD player with remote control. Formats played: CD, MP3 CD, CD-R/RW. D/A conversion: 24-bit/192kHz with switchable "Slow" and "Sharp" reconstruction filters. Analog outputs: 1 pair (RCA). Digital outputs: coaxial S/PDIF, TosLink. Headphone jack with volume control. Four-mode dimmer. Frequency range: 2Hz–20kHz. Signal/noise: 111dB. Dynamic range: 100dB. THD: 0.0027%. Maximum output level: 2.0V RMS. Output impedance: 470 ohms. Power consumption: 3W.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/onkyo-dx-7555-cd-player-specifications#4iIi3RJzGIb1wyBK.99

Should I be concerned about the lack of headroom? Is it because of the source or the speakers? There isn't anything unusual about the system.

Thanks, David
For comparison, when I used one Vidar with a Saga/Bifrost to drive a pair of 1.7i speakers (86 dB, 4 Ohm) I could turn the volume all the way up and still not have it be what I consider too loud. The Saga is unity gain though in tube or passive.

Later I switched to 2 Vidars and a Freya/Gugnir and it of course can go quite a bit louder with those amps in mono probably pushing 550 W before shutting down thermally. I’ve been able to hit ~105 dB or so A-weighted using some dB meter iPhone apps.
Still considering other options for when I need to rock out. (Like some >1kW into 4 Ohm amps) This setup is great though for medium to high volume.
Maybe for the rocking out I should have got a pair of 100 dB 8 Ohm Klipsch, but the Maggies just sound so good when I demoed them.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #420 of 972
I can get mine loud enough, but there just isn't a whole lot of headroom. I just don't understand why it is like this. Surely Schiit didn't design the Freya and Vidar to work together this way....it's got to be either my speakers or cd player. Maybe someone else with a Freya and single Vidar will respond.

Thanks, David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back