Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
May 24, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #331 of 972
I had that same impression when I got my Gumby. I said on that thread that music I was listening to seemed to go from da da DA da to da daa DA da and it was freaking me the hell out. What could possibly be the explanation for that effect?

More data coming into your brain for it to process

JC

May 24, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #332 of 972
More data coming into your brain for it to process

JC

Or maybe less distortion of some sort that overworked the brain? So your brain has "more time" to enjoy the music?

Or it's that drug from the Dredd movie with Karl Urban.

May 25, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #333 of 972
Actually, it's early birthday. I'm turning 50 next month!

Delirious Lab,

On your upcoming 50th:

I'm right behind you. I'll hit the half-century mark of my own 'World Tour' in July.

Not sure what I'll do to mark the occasion --something symbolically significant seems mandatory.

Congrats on your system. Very solid and respectable set of gear you have assembled.

-Cheers!

May 25, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #334 of 972
Only two (too short) evenings with the new gear, and already I've had a couple of "whoa, scary good" moments with it:

Night One was with the Tung-Sol tube on Saga; at one point I try the Rite of Spring (Boulez/Cleveland), and somewhere in the middle of part 1 I realize how much freaking detail is in that music. Like a painting with a myriad of hidden codes that are in plain sight, only you look at it a little more carefully than usual and you notice it for the first time. As I said before, I had the impression that things were slowing down so I could examine all the interweaving woodwind parts.

Night Two was LISST time, and after trying on various things I go "Let's have some Zeppelin". My go-to track is Whole Lotta Love - yeah, good punch, Bonham is banging them cans and all is good, but as we got to the middle section with the effects and the wild left-right stereo pans (if you know the song you know what I'm talking about) the soundstage began to get downright eerie on me. Imagine the sound going from 7:30 to noon to 4:30 on a clock, back and forth, with me being in the center...

Both moments, with completely different genres of music, left me tripping as if I had taken something.

Recently there was an incident documented over on Jason's thread where (IIRC) Schiit's shipping account was compromised by drug traffickers. Maybe there is more to the story and you got one of the "lucky" units ...

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #335 of 972
Good morning @Alcophone & folks!
Hope all is well!

Thanks! Mine's a Hackintosh... ASUS Sabretooth motherboard... I might try to play with another cable, but I guess it ain't that much of a biggie... I'll check and degrease the ends just in case as well... :)

Cheers!
I always suspected there’s good schiit north of 60. Greetings from the South. Real question: how do their products handle the electrical power supply in the North? I have my setup on a UPS, with a conditioner...

May 27, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #336 of 972
I've been looking for a central place to discuss Schiits offerings in the world of two channel equipment. Specifically the Saga, Freya, Vidar, Ragnarok and of course the Schiit DACs used in the two channel environment.

No passwords or secret handshakes required, just an interest in two channel from the Schiit point of view.

All are welcome. Anyone care to join?
biggrin.gif

Count me in! I am keeping it simple with a Ragnarok + Gumby run mostly through speakers...but there is that HP capability. <g> Looking forward to the eventual arrival of a Gen 5 USB upgrade. At the moment, an ultraRendu is doing enough good for me to enjoy the present.

Probably like some other Gumby owners, a combination of happiness and curiosity sustains an itch to eventually hear a Yggy. Most of all, I would like to find out if the Yggy improves on the presentation of acoustic bass in some of my favorite jazz trio tracks. Until then -- and maybe even after then -- I like this combination.

May 27, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #337 of 972
Out of curiosity I would like to hear the Yggy in my 2ch setup.

I did hear it over headphones and it was impressive. After that I concluded that I'm good with the Gumby.

May 27, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #338 of 972
Hey @ScubaMan2017 , folks! Hope you are all enjoying a great Sunday! If this is TOO way off, we (or anyone else, actually) can join a private msg... :)

I always suspected there’s good schiit north of 60. Greetings from the South. Real question: how do their products handle the electrical power supply in the North? I have my setup on a UPS, with a conditioner...

Knock on wood... it's been good... I haven't really been measuring in a regular basis (it's at 116V now), but the power grid has been fairly stable (diesel generators). I used to live in Iqaluit for quite a few years before Kuujjuaq, and over there as well, I never really had any power problems...

(We are still south of 60... but remote enough to be in the "north"... :wink: I know even from Iqaluit, I had some friends teasing me we were not "north"... as they live all the way in Grise Fjord, Ellesmere Island... waaaaaaay up north indeed!!! Beautiful place, BTW... :)

Just a quick disclosure... :wink: I must confess I am "not" an audiophile in the sense I will be trying to get a separate electrical circuit just to feed the audio system, etc... Neither I would invest in crazy cabling to "clean up" the signal, etc... so, my idea of "ok" might be completely wrong! I am happy though... as I cannot identify any power related hiccups... :) :) :) My Schiit so far has just been happily pilling up...

cheers!

May 27, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #339 of 972
(We are still south of 60... but remote enough to be in the "north"... :wink: I know even from Iqaluit, I had some friends teasing me we were not "north"... as they live all the way in Grise Fjord, Ellesmere Island... waaaaaaay up north indeed!!! Beautiful place, BTW... :)

I lived in Inuvik from '77 to '80 -- 68.3607° N

Also diesel powered but very stable apart from the frequent blackouts.

JC

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #340 of 972
Morning @JohnnyCanuck and peeps! Hope you all had a great weekend!

I lived in Inuvik from '77 to '80 -- 68.3607° N

Also diesel powered but very stable apart from the frequent blackouts.

JC

Never had a chance to visit the western arctic other than the airport in Yellowknife... but I did experience the midnight sun when I was in Igloolik years ago.... what an amazing experience... I want to experience the lack of sun as well... We had short days in Iqaluit during winter, but there was still a few hours of sun light... but 24/7 of darkness must be quite interesting as well... it would be an awesome excuse to sit down in a listening room and enjoy music 24/7, hehehehe :)

Cheers!

May 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #341 of 972
Vidar has been here for a week, and it definitely needs running in. At first music was very clear, but also uninvolving and often boring, which was worrying. I thought i had made a big mistake. This weekend music is finally coming back to life. The clarity and excellent imaging that I first heard are still present and correct, but now the vim and verve of music have returned, and the Saga and Vidar combo are at least as good at PRAT as the British amplifiers I previously used in my system over the years, but with the added bonus of tonal accuracy.
For just over £1000.00 for the pair Saga and Vidar are an absolute bargain. Definitely hi-end sound at a reasonable price.
Schiit products do not get reviewed often here in the UK Hi-Fi press, which is a shame, as it would be interesting to see this pair compared with the current favourites at around a grand (Rega, Naim, Audiolab etc).

May 28, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #342 of 972
Vidar has been here for a week, and it definitely needs running in. At first music was very clear, but also uninvolving and often boring, which was worrying. I thought i had made a big mistake. This weekend music is finally coming back to life. The clarity and excellent imaging that I first heard are still present and correct, but now the vim and verve of music have returned, and the Saga and Vidar combo are at least as good at PRAT as the British amplifiers I previously used in my system over the years, but with the added bonus of tonal accuracy.
For just over £1000.00 for the pair Saga and Vidar are an absolute bargain. Definitely hi-end sound at a reasonable price.
Schiit products do not get reviewed often here in the UK Hi-Fi press, which is a shame, as it would be interesting to see this pair compared with the current favourites at around a grand (Rega, Naim, Audiolab etc).

How is the "grip" of the Vidar with your B & W speakers?

May 30, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #343 of 972
It seems to control the B&Ws well. The bass is extended but tuneful and not boomy.

May 30, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #344 of 972
It seems to control the B&Ws well. The bass is extended but tuneful and not boomy.

Nice! I recently purchased a set of foam plugs for my B & W's, I had bought them used and the plugs were long gone. I found that they added some depth, and more importantly accuracy, to the bass. I was surprised at how much of a positive difference (to my ears, in my system, etc.) they made for such a small investment.

May 31, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #345 of 972

Users who are viewing this thread

Back