Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #211 of 231
Mar 7, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #215 of 231
Does anyone know, if I can use the Sys in reverse and still use the volume to attenuate my dac signal? I have my mimby, hooked up to the output, and then my LP amp and Lyr 3 amp, connected to each input. I have the volume on the Sys all the way up, and can switch between amps, with the push of a botton, however, with my Liquid Platinum amp, I need more control on the volume to get past the channel imbalance, and was hoping I could just turn the SYS volume down to about 3 o clock, with it hooked up in reverse? Will this work and can I hurt anything doing this?

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #216 of 231
Does anyone know, if I can use the Sys in reverse and still use the volume to attenuate my dac signal? I have my mimby, hooked up to the output, and then my LP amp and Lyr 3 amp, connected to each input. I have the volume on the Sys all the way up, and can switch between amps, with the push of a botton, however, with my Liquid Platinum amp, I need more control on the volume to get past the channel imbalance, and was hoping I could just turn the SYS volume down to about 3 o clock, with it hooked up in reverse? Will this work and can I hurt anything doing this?

If you want to use the SYS as a reverse switch (1 input, 2 outputs) then the volume pot should be turned all the way up.

If you don't want to get a different pre-amp with independent source volume controls, then what would probably work best in your case is to get a set of RCA splitters to do the splitting and then use the SYS for volume control only (one output, no switching).

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #217 of 231
If you want to use the SYS as a reverse switch (1 input, 2 outputs) then the volume pot should be turned all the way up.

If you don't want to get a different pre-amp with independent source volume controls, then what would probably work best in your case is to get a set of RCA splitters to do the splitting and then use the SYS for volume control only (one output, no switching).
I am not sure that is what i am asking. Basically can i still use the volume of the Sys to attenuate my dac signal, if the sys is hooked up backwords? I know how to use it as a switcher, with volume all the way up.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #218 of 231
I am not sure that is what i am asking. Basically can i still use the volume of the Sys to attenuate my dac signal, if the sys is hooked up backwords? I know how to use it as a switcher, with volume all the way up.

If you hook it up backwards then the volume pot needs to be maximum and you can only use it as a switch. If you want to use it to control volume it needs to be hooked up normal. You could try:

Code:
Mimby -> SYS Output -> Sys Input 1 -> LYR
                    -> Sys Input 2 -> Separate Volume attenuation -> Liquid Platinum

That would require a second thing for volume attenuation (another SYS or inline volume control).

Alternatively:

Code:
Mimby -> RCA Splitter ->  LYR
                      -> Normal SYS for volume control ->  Liquid Platinum

This will be cheaper since splitters are cheap. You could also put the RCA splitter on the SYS output if you want to have it control input level for both.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #219 of 231
If you hook it up backwards then the volume pot needs to be maximum and you can only use it as a switch. If you want to use it to control volume it needs to be hooked up normal. You could try:

Code:
Mimby -> SYS Output -> Sys Input 1 -> LYR
                    -> Sys Input 2 -> Separate Volume attenuation -> Liquid Platinum

That would require a second thing for volume attenuation (another SYS or inline volume control).

Alternatively:

Code:
Mimby -> RCA Splitter ->  LYR
                      -> Normal SYS for volume control ->  Liquid Platinum

This will be cheaper since splitters are cheap. You could also put the RCA splitter on the SYS output if you want to have it control input level for both.
Thanks so much for the detailed info! I was really hoping, i could use it the way i have it set up, in reverse. Oh well, at the moment i dont really need it, but if i ever get more sensitive headphones, i guess i will have to switch it around.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #220 of 231
Thanks so much for the detailed info! I was really hoping, i could use it the way i have it set up, in reverse. Oh well, at the moment i dont really need it, but if i ever get more sensitive headphones, i guess i will have to switch it around.

There are passive pre-amps that support output switching with volume control. JDS Labs makes one and I think there are a lot of generic ones from China on ebay.

If you want to keep using the SYS and just add attenuation on the input to the Liquid Platinum, then you can get something like this for $10 or less: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxess-2-channel-adjustable-rca-level-controller-black/3399286.p

You can also get fixed level attenuation, but they usually cost more: https://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-6-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-242

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #221 of 231
There are passive pre-amps that support output switching with volume control. JDS Labs makes one and I think there are a lot of generic ones from China on ebay.

If you want to keep using the SYS and just add attenuation on the input to the Liquid Platinum, then you can get something like this for $10 or less: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxess-2-channel-adjustable-rca-level-controller-black/3399286.p

You can also get fixed level attenuation, but they usually cost more: https://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-6-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-242
Cool options! Thanks for the info! Those harrison labs look perfect. I am thinking about getting the 12db ones.

edit - I just bought the Harrison Labs 12db line level attenuator pair, and will report back after I try them out, on my LP.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #222 of 231
It has become popular to reverse a 2-input passive attenuator to switch between two outputs. While not exactly recommended, as long as the potentiometer is set to maximum and left at that position the source will only see the additional load of the pot, which is usually between 10K to 100K. The Sys uses a 10K pot.

20190307 Typical unBalanced passive attenuator with switch.png

In normal mode the potentiometer is used to lower output voltage via the divider formed and thus lower volume from the selected input source.

20190307 Typical unBalanced passive attenuator with switch - reversed.png

When reversed to provide output switching the potentiometer is capable of putting a low R load on the input source. Depending on the potentiometer value and whether linear or log taper lower than desirable R could begin much higher than just prior to minimum volume setting on the pot.

20190307 Typical unBalanced passive attenuator with switch - reversed - annotated.png

When fully Counter Clockwise (CCW) a short circuit through the potentiometer will be presented to the source, potentially damaging it.

Best practice is to use devices as they were intended.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #223 of 231
Thanks for that detailed response! I really appreciate it. I hooked up everything, back to normal.

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #224 of 231
I bought a Sys recently and am running the current configuration (using the Sys backwards):

Bifrost 2 > Loki > Sys > (Jotunheim SE + Lyr 3). It seems to work just fine to allow me to use the Loki for both amps. Is there any reason this setup should cause any problems like distortion etc? Would two Loki devices be preferred?

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #225 of 231
Back a few months I needed to add a simple 1-in / 2-out A/B switch to my PC's headphone & near field monitor setup. A lot of the outboard gear is Schiit (2x EITR's, Modi Multibit, Modi 3, Loki Mini, Magni 3, Saga, and Lyr 3) and, since there are a lot of Magni-size chassis' in this rig I was considering a Schiit Sys for this application. The Sys, though, was a good bit more money than it would have cost me for the parts and enclosure to build a custom switch. About that time someone here on Head-Fi posted a used Schiit Sys with some scratches on the top and bottom of the chassis for $25 shipped - definitely cheaper than parts and shipping for a custom switch build. I purchased it and it arrived as described - front panel looked new, scratches only on the top and bottom. I opened it up, removed the volume pot, replaced it with hard-wired jumpers, and put a small, flat piece of brushed aluminum on the inside of the chassis cover to close the hole where the volume knob had been. Works as intended and looks right at home with the rest of the components. :)

Here's a pic showing the modified Sys on the bottom of the components stacked on the right:
LZUfJ6V.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back