Schiit Saga Tube Rolling
Feb 8, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #151 of 167
From the Schiit site news section;

In addition, Schiit added a new tube option for Saga and Freya—new production Tung-Sol brand 6SN7s. Customers had been asking for a new-production option, and the Tung-Sol brand tubes tested the best in a comparison of new 6SN7s.

“This is the first time we’ve recommended a new-production tube as an upgrade from NOS,” said Jason Stoddard. “But we’ve found that the Tung-sols are quieter, less microphonic, and more consistent than NOS, in this case. And, all Tung-sols are measured and matched here, both in terms of single-tube triode-to-triode balance and tube-to-tube.”

:)

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #154 of 167
Has anyone tried the Shuguang Treasure Series CV-181Z tube? I tried to order it but the seller said that the base is too big to fit through the hole at the top.

I haven't, but the socket saver I use pushes the base of the 6SN7 to almost opening level:
(You will need to ask them to not install the bracket in the comments section)

SocketSaver_General.jpg

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Octal-Socket-Saver-6p2775.htm

Unless the base diameter of the Treasure is larger than the SchiitHole, you should be good with a socket saver.

Hope you've been well! If you get the Treasure, let us know how you like it!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #155 of 167
I haven't, but the socket saver I use pushes the base of the 6SN7 to almost opening level:
(You will need to ask them to not install the bracket in the comments section)

SocketSaver_General.jpg

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Octal-Socket-Saver-6p2775.htm

Unless the base diameter of the Treasure is larger than the SchiitHole, you should be good with a socket saver.

Hope you've been well! If you get the Treasure, let us know how you like it!

Thanks! That will work. I thought that the seller was kidding about the Treasure tube, but my new Psvane 6SN7 arrived today and that tube is so fat that it barely fits into the hole, so it may well be that the Treasure needs this adapter.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #157 of 167
Instead of using a socket saver to raise the tube, has anyone tried enlarging the hole?

Why go through the hassle when $10 solves the problem? If you enlarge the hole you either need to do it with the unit upside down or remove the case to prevent metal shavings getting on the PC board. The socket saver also gets heat away from the board and makes it easier to swap tubes.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/SOCKET-74489.html

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #158 of 167
Why go through the hassle when $10 solves the problem? If you enlarge the hole you either need to do it with the unit upside down or remove the case to prevent metal shavings getting on the PC board. The socket saver also gets heat away from the board and makes it easier to swap tubes.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/SOCKET-74489.html
Just asking... If I had a tube that's too wide, I would consider it because I don't have a socket saver lying around, but I do have circular cutters.

And, since it apparently needs to be said, yes of course I would remove the case before doing this.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #159 of 167
Thanks! That will work. I thought that the seller was kidding about the Treasure tube, but my new Psvane 6SN7 arrived today and that tube is so fat that it barely fits into the hole, so it may well be that the Treasure needs this adapter.

Instead of using a socket saver to raise the tube, has anyone tried enlarging the hole?

When I had my Saga I used a Psvane tube in it. It would fit in the hole even with the ceramic base, but it would insert so far that the glass envelope of the tube was touching the aluminum of the case all around. So much so I wasn't even 100% sure the tube was FULLY inserted. I used a good quality socket-saver and didn't think about it anymore. It looks better with the tube raised up anyway, IMO. I think I got mine SS from tubesandmore.com and it was the perfect height It basically put the plug flush with the top of the case... maybe even a hair below. Worked great.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/socket-saver-8-pin

- Woody

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #160 of 167
I have listened to the Psvane 6SN7 for a while now and it has become my favorite tube. The bass is deep and juicy, the midrange is vibrant and lifelike and the treble is extended and not bright. There is something about the midrange on this tube that just makes it really enjoyable and makes me want to listen to more music. Very satisfying - and not without irony that after all my searching for (and spending on) vintage tubes my favorite tube is a new-production tube from China. Or maybe that's a good thing: One day all the vintage tubes will have either burned out or been snatched up by hoarders, so I'm glad that there are really good new-production tubes available.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #161 of 167
I have listened to the Psvane 6SN7 for a while now and it has become my favorite tube. The bass is deep and juicy, the midrange is vibrant and lifelike and the treble is extended and not bright. There is something about the midrange on this tube that just makes it really enjoyable and makes me want to listen to more music. Very satisfying - and not without irony that after all my searching for (and spending on) vintage tubes my favorite tube is a new-production tube from China. Or maybe that's a good thing: One day all the vintage tubes will have either burned out or been snatched up by hoarders, so I'm glad that there are really good new-production tubes available.

Hey Odin, and others using the Psvane tubes, which tube are you folks using? According the the web site (http://en.psvane.com) there are two tubes in the Hi-Fi series that are 6SN7. There are also two CV181 tubes in the T series that Psvane says can replace the 6SN7GT tubes.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #162 of 167
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #163 of 167
I have a Saga on the way. I picked it up used at a great price (owner purchased it and never installed it, as new with box and all contents - owner didn't have a tube for it but included a LSST, just under $300 shipped). No tube included gave me an excuse to source a few NOS tubes. From the source I used to buy guitar amp tubes I purchased a GE 6SN7GTB and a couple of black base RCA 6SN7GTB's, all better than 90%, all with both triodes balanced within 2%, all for under $30! That should keep the Saga sounding good for a while. :)

While I can't provide any comment on stock tube vs the aforementioned NOS tubes I will have an opportunity to provide some comparison between the LSST and the NOS GE & RCA 6SN7GTB tubes. Once the holiday season is over and I've had some time to listen I'll post my thoughts.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #164 of 167
Has anyone inadvertently inserted a tube wrong in the Saga? I don't know if this is inherent to 6SN7 tubes, or the socket that Schiit uses, but the notch in the middle fits quite loosely. To the point where it can even go in when misaligned.

And so, a couple months ago, I put in a Tung-Sol off by 1/8 of a turn. Holy Schiit that was scary.

Everything is now fine after some warranty repair on the Saga and the loudspeakers (this one with a stern talking-to), a broken tube and a fried LISST.

So be careful out there. It's called tube rolling, not tube twisting!

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #165 of 167
Has anyone inadvertently inserted a tube wrong in the Saga? I don't know if this is inherent to 6SN7 tubes, or the socket that Schiit uses, but the notch in the middle fits quite loosely. To the point where it can even go in when misaligned.

And so, a couple months ago, I put in a Tung-Sol off by 1/8 of a turn. Holy Schiit that was scary.

Everything is now fine after some warranty repair on the Saga and the loudspeakers (this one with a stern talking-to), a broken tube and a fried LISST.

So be careful out there. It's called tube rolling, not tube twisting!

I did fry my Freya by putting in the wrong tunes though. I shall note your warning, I have had enough white smoke......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back