Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Oct 13, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #1,786 of 2,035
I am using a pair of HiFiMan he500's (32Ω) and hear no grayness.
Indeed I hear 'livelyness' that is most compelling.

JJ
I thought they were 38 ohms. Either way the 500 is a great match - stock or modified. Same goes for the v2.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,787 of 2,035
I thought they were 38 ohms. Either way the 500 is a great match - stock or modified.
I guess we both are incorrect because according to the inner fidelity test they measured as 47Ω.
Thanks for pointing this out.

JJ

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #1,788 of 2,035
I guess we both are incorrect because according to the inner fidelity test they measured as 47Ω.
Thanks for pointing this out.

JJ
Look at this. Your site says 47 @ 1k.

The other sites: 33.2, 52, and six at 38. Usually planars are quite flat. Not important, just funny.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #1,789 of 2,035
Yeah that is 'interesting that there are so many different 'measurements'.
I tend to trust Inner Fidelity since that is based upon an actual measurement from his test setup.

And I did try and find an actual genuine HiFiMan data/spec sheet but none showed up in my searches.

And this is kinda important to me because I need to 'dial in' the actual Ω to match the 32Ω taps on my 71A tube amp.

JJ

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #1,790 of 2,035
Yeah that is 'interesting that there are so many different 'measurements'.
I tend to trust Inner Fidelity since that is based upon an actual measurement from his test setup.

And I did try and find an actual genuine HiFiMan data/spec sheet but none showed up in my searches.

And this is kinda important to me because I need to 'dial in' the actual Ω to match the 32Ω taps on my 71A tube amp.

JJ
reference-audio-analyzer.pro

Has tests and a graph. But two numbers, check it out. 33.7 and 31.6 - if so the 32 ohm setting looks good.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,791 of 2,035
do you have a direct link to their test?
It is a russian site and while I can translate it there is no direct access to that test.

Also when I use my trusty fluke 289 it measures the 2 channels as 52Ω and 47Ω

JJ

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,792 of 2,035
Anyone paired a Ragnarok with Triangle speakers like the Borea or Comete line? Just wondering if the treble would be a bit too much of a good thing as the Borea especially can be a bit too much of a good thing. I’ve read some reviewers recommend a bit laid back sound for Triangle when amp pairing.

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #1,793 of 2,035
Anyone paired a Ragnarok with Triangle speakers like the Borea or Comete line? Just wondering if the treble would be a bit too much of a good thing as the Borea especially can be a bit too much of a good thing. I’ve read some reviewers recommend a bit laid back sound for Triangle when amp pairing.
I have a pair of Triangle Celius 202's from about 20 years ago. My main speaker. 2 6-7" woofs with port, 5-6" mid, and I replaced the OG tweeter (metal too bright) with a ribbon, and upgraded the caps. They sound very good now. The later models have a better tweeter.

How is your room? How about the ancillary stuff? There is EQ and you could change the resistor in the xover to cut volume to tweeter a hair. And #1 improvement in any speaker. Upgrade to a metal film cap for the tweeter. Or if you do not care about bass the Rag is magic with the Maggie .7i.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,794 of 2,035
My ragy2 fully loaded (MB dac) is paired with a pair of Triangle Lyrr 222 (5 HPs) and it's the best amp I've ever heard with these speakers (before schiit, i had used several amps : AudioGD Precision 2, Cairn class A mono blocs+4808 preamp, Atoll IN80).

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #1,796 of 2,035
I have a pair of Triangle Celius 202's from about 20 years ago. My main speaker. 2 6-7" woofs with port, 5-6" mid, and I replaced the OG tweeter (metal too bright) with a ribbon, and upgraded the caps. They sound very good now. The later models have a better tweeter.

How is your room? How about the ancillary stuff? There is EQ and you could change the resistor in the xover to cut volume to tweeter a hair. And #1 improvement in any speaker. Upgrade to a metal film cap for the tweeter. Or if you do not care about bass the Rag is magic with the Maggie .7i.
My room is 13 x 15’ with windows out the front the house. I’ll probably have the windows to my back. I’ll have the speakers on the triangle stands, probably about 5-6’ away. Just a desk that I sit at which will be between the speakers. I don’t really care about bass and would probably get a REL sub if I really needed it.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,797 of 2,035
My room is 13 x 15’ with windows out the front the house. I’ll probably have the windows to my back. I’ll have the speakers on the triangle stands, probably about 5-6’ away. Just a desk that I sit at which will be between the speakers. I don’t really care about bass and would probably get a REL sub if I really needed it.
So near field. The 3 Triangles I know we're all most resolving/pleasing at about 8-14'. The tweeter might sound disconnected to some extent from the mids, and more dominant. Before I changed out my tweeters I cut out a felt circle and mounted it around the tweeter, which cuts volume and also cuts back the reflection they take advantage of to get increased livliness, but we would probably agree it's a bit much. Was happier with them that way. But being a tweaker and ribbon addict i couldn't stop myself. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,798 of 2,035
For Rag 1 owners with the amp on a solid shelf and equipment below it, that leave the Rag on a fair amount:

I never paid attention to how short the feet are on the 1. And the screws are metric 4's. How dinky can you get? I've had it on a Salamander wood stand since day 1 on these 1/2" high anti skid cups.

I just noticed the other day when I adjusted my Gumby a bit higher on the shelf below the Rag how much heat was coming thru the 3/4" wood - had to be near 130F. Anyone stacking it on a Gumby or Yggy directly - you are getting a lot of heat dumped into them. No other equipment or an open metal shelf - carry on.

So I got 1.5" 4M screws, 3 1" diam .25" thick fender washers, 2 1" diam .25" thick 70 Duro sorbothane, and 2 other small metal and two small rubber washers., and it's about 1.25" higher and the bottom of the shelf is just a bit above room temp and it's insulated better against vibration.

And I also moved the Rag to the far side and back edges too for more air flow.

I'm sorry but that's a stupid design by Schiit. Can't recall if the 2 is the same. Jeez spend another $3.50 on some decent feet... Even w/o the sorb.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #1,799 of 2,035
I dealt with this many years ago.
I have the Rok on ≈ 1.5" risers insulated with wood, sitting on top of my Jggy dac, and added a very slow speed/cfm fan sucking air out from the top vent holes as well.

This dropped the temperature of the case from 5-20°F (depending on where it's measured) and lowered the temp between the Rok and the Jggy by ≈ 10-15°F as well.

Did I 'need' to do this?
No, but caps (and there are MANY in the Rok) last longer with lowered temps.
I figure it's cheap insurance.

JJ

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #1,800 of 2,035
Hi there, hoping to get some advice from you all about adding a remote control to my Rag 1 setup.

My current setup is Gungnir (balanced out) > Rag (balanced in) > Speaker outputs and balanced HP out. A couple options I’m considering are adding a Saga or a Freya. A few questions…

SE vs Balanced Inputs
If I place the Saga between the Gungnir and Rag I’d have to switch to a SE path compared to my current balanced path all the way through. Will this cause any (theoretical) loss in sound quality? Will the Rag still take full advantage of its circlotron-style output stage? Cable runs are all very short and I would still be using the Rag’s balanced HP and speaker outputs.

Doubling Preamp Stages
If I use the Saga/Freya in passive mode there should be no issues since I’m not doubling preamp gain stages, right?

If I use them in active mode, could this lead to any issues?

Better alternatives?
Really all I want is a remote control for my Rag and the $300/$600 price tags for the Saga/Freya are steep for that. Are there better options?

Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back