Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #841 of 2,007
Some times I like to rock out at high volumes. I was wondering if I need to be careful on the volume knob to avoid letting the magic smoke come out of my HD800's in balanced or SE and DT990's 600 ohm in SE. If anyone knows I'd appreciate knowing the limits.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #842 of 2,007
  Some times I like to rock out at high volumes. I was wondering if I need to be careful on the volume knob to avoid letting the magic smoke come out of my HD800's in balanced or SE and DT990's 600 ohm in SE. If anyone knows I'd appreciate knowing the limits.

Obviously YMMV and this is not a warranty, but generally speaking you are more likely to destroy your headphones on a lower-powered amplifier than a higher-powered amplifier. The HD800/DT990 can be taken quite loud by a capable amplifier (such as the Ragnarok) without any risk of "over powering" them. There's a limit to this, naturally, but I think you would be in the range of instantaneous painful hearing damage long before it would be a concern.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #843 of 2,007
Lol, yeah probably not... But how does is sound with a he6 next to say an EF6?

I have not side-by-sided these two amplifiers, but in general I've found the Ragnarok to be incredibly clean and neutral and capable with the HE-6. I haven't played with exotic class-A power  amplifiers, but I briefly flirted with a Creek and Bryston power amp powering them and didn't really find a reason to prefer those over the Ragnarok. There's plenty of power and control on tap and the presentation is as neutral as I've come across. If you want clean, capable, and neutral and don't mind its UI quirks, it's a great choice. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #844 of 2,007
The first time I heard the HE-6 is with the Rok and I fell in love with the HE-6 immediately. But when Punit plugged it into his speaker tube amp via some sort of tap adapter, then I knew it was magic. Amazing!

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #845 of 2,007
The first time I heard the HE-6 is with the Rok and I fell in love with the HE-6 immediately. But when Punit plugged it into his speaker tube amp via some sort of tap adapter, then I knew it was magic. Amazing!

When I read impressions like yours, I want to go purchase a set of HE-6 and mod them.:)

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #846 of 2,007
When I read impressions like yours, I want to go purchase a set of HE-6 and mod them.
smily_headphones1.gif

You will hate me because I will actually encourage you. 
biggrin.gif

But wait, it is not all butterflies, I don't like the weight. I don't think I can wear it for a long time without wanting to use a neck support... 
L3000.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #847 of 2,007
You will hate me because I will actually encourage you. :D

But wait, it is not all butterflies, I don't like the weight. I don't think I can wear it for a long time without wanting to use a neck support... :L3000:

Lol I have a bad back so I only sit for an hour before I must get up for a stretch, so the weight of the HE-6 should matter not. :D

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #848 of 2,007
Lol I have a bad back so I only sit for an hour before I must get up for a stretch, so the weight of the HE-6 should matter not.
biggrin.gif

Then you can start hunting for one... 
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #849 of 2,007
Then you can start hunting for one... :beerchug:

I will start looking soon, just need to save up a bit more money. I love this hobby but dislike how it drains my wallet dry. :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #850 of 2,007
I will start looking soon, just need to save up a bit more money. I love this hobby but dislike how it drains my wallet dry.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hear ya! I'm hoping to just listen for awhile. I know my HE-560's sound better than my Paradigm Reference Studio 40 V3's-which sound great with the Ragnarok-even more than with my Denon. So I have some interest in selling them for some used Pardigm Signature S4's…. :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #853 of 2,007
So, I was considering having the Rag sit on it's side to save space. I emailed schiit, and Nick told me that yes I could, but a fall could kill the amp, and don't block the vents. My fiance gave me a look and said "Do you really wanna risk breaking that Schiit?" So it will get a shelf space all by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back