Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 24, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #662 of 2,007

The Mjolnir is such an elegant looking component, whilst the Ragnarok is a ugly behemoth. Gonna miss the Mjolnir.

You're absolutely right in my book, the proportions / design of the Mjolnir are simply perfect.

I don't find the Ragnarok to look ugly in person; but others seem to agree with you (here's a new review) :
http://theproaudiowebblog.com/schiit-ragnarok-review.html

Maybe things improve if you stack it on top of an Yggy :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #665 of 2,007
I stack my Ragnarok on top of my M51 as shown in the pics above. I want to replace the stock rubber feet on the Rag with taller feet to increase the space between the two stacked components. Anything I should be careful of when doing this? The screws holding the rubber feet in place don't secure boards internally do they? And will most screw-in feet/pads be compatible and a straight swap for the stock rubber feet?

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #666 of 2,007
  I stack my Ragnarok on top of my M51 as shown in the pics above. I want to replace the stock rubber feet on the Rag with taller feet to increase the space between the two stacked components. Anything I should be careful of when doing this? The screws holding the rubber feet in place don't secure boards internally do they? And will most screw-in feet/pads be compatible and a straight swap for the stock rubber feet?

The feet only thread into the case.

The screws are a fine thread and seem to be 4-40 size.

One thing to consider is to use a 12" long by 3/4 x 3/4 piece of wood (or larger width).

It will be easier to find (hardware store) and provides a much greater separation distance than any 'normal' feet, outside of aftermarket audiophool feet which can cost $$$$ vs. a couple of bucks for the wood.

I use several such pieces in an arrangement to increase the separation, which helps increase the heat dissapation of The Rok. 

JJ

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #667 of 2,007

Just get four Tenderfeet from Herbie's Audio Lab. Vibration control and increased space.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #668 of 2,007
Jayvee member with a newbie question: Can the 3 pin balanced XLR outputs on the back of the Schiit Ragnarok - or any amp with such a rear panel configuration - be used for headphones or is that a serious no-no?

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #669 of 2,007
  Jayvee member with a newbie question: Can the 3 pin balanced XLR outputs on the back of the Schiit Ragnarok - or any amp with such a rear panel configuration - be used for headphones or is that a serious no-no?

If you are referring to the 'line outputs' then no, not really, these circuits are meant to drive low power inputs (high impedance input loads).

Even high impedance headphones (ie sennheisers 3-600Ω) will try to use more power than these circuits are meant to drive.  While there may be some sound it won't be 'pretty' as they will cause these line level outputs to distort, especially if you want to crank on it…

And more 'normal' headphones (lower impedance) have much greater power requirements.

JJ

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #670 of 2,007
Exactly the kind of informative answer I needed. Thanks!
  If you are referring to the 'line outputs' then no, not really, these circuits are meant to drive low power inputs (high impedance input loads).

Even high impedance headphones (ie sennheisers 3-600Ω) will try to use more power than these circuits are meant to drive.  While there may be some sound it won't be 'pretty' as they will cause these line level outputs to distort, especially if you want to crank on it…

And more 'normal' headphones (lower impedance) have much greater power requirements.

JJ

Exactly the kind of informative answer I needed. Thanks! /Will

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #671 of 2,007
The Ragnarok stomps the Mjolnir in all aspects - except looks. The Mjolnir is such an elegant looking component, whilst the Ragnarok is a ugly behemoth. Gonna miss the Mjolnir.

I just ordered an yggy, so I'm already predisposed to upgrading to my ragnarok. Reading things like this and seeing how long the wait is for one is not helping my wallet recover.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #672 of 2,007

I tried both the Rag and the Yggy out at the Music City meet along with a Woo Audio WA5 (in the background), with Mr. Speakers Ether HP's in foreground, the WA5 with Royal Sophia Princess Tubes is roughly 4-5X's the cost of the Rag, so not a fair comparison.  Per Mr. Speakers the Yggy is outstanding, I agree.  The Ether's are high end HP's.

The Rag is a fine solid state amp, a great amp at a great price, but it runs really hot...

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #673 of 2,007
I just ordered an yggy, so I'm already predisposed to upgrading to my ragnarok. Reading things like this and seeing how long the wait is for one is not helping my wallet recover.

You're running a Modi into a Mjolnir? With the HD800 at the end of the chain? Man... talk about a bottleneck! It's inevitable that the Yggy will rock your world.

I'm quite pleased with the balance I've now struck with my chain. No doubt the Yggy will be another fine component from Schiit but I doubt I'll be stepping up to it for some time. I'm avoiding all threads and discussion on this dac until I add decent speakers and a turntable to my system. Might also have to wait for the Australian dollar to recover to where it's worth something against the greenback.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #674 of 2,007

I tried both the Rag and the Yggy out at the Music City meet along with a Woo Audio WA5 (in the background), with Mr. Speakers Ether HP's in foreground, the WA5 with Royal Sophia Princess Tubes is roughly 4-5X's the cost of the Rag, so not a fair comparison.  Per Mr. Speakers the Yggy is outstanding, I agree.  The Ether's are high end HP's.

The Rag is a fine solid state amp, a great amp at a great price, but it runs really hot...

Not trying to reignite the heat debate, but what's the issue with it running hot, again? Pretty sure the tubes on the WA5 also throw off a lot of heat... The manual says the yggy is going to run hot too, so I'm anxiously awaiting another round of "the big box of schiit is hot" complaints/concerns. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #675 of 2,007
My upstairs stays pretty warm. The Rag is in my office and it, the Yggy, my music machine and a bunch of electronics are running all the time with the door and windows closed when I'm not home. It gets warm, but nothing concerning. It won't burn your skin like fully heated tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back