Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jan 3, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #391 of 2,005
JJ,

Thank you for the detailed response.

Could you post the diagram you made to remind you of the selected input?

Also what scenarios do you use the BOTH ACTIVE setting then? I like to keep my phones plugged in at all times as mentioned above. With one device at ideal level, it seems to me that the other would be at a significantly lesser or potentially more dangerous greater level.

I know someone will answer "Dude, just keep the frickin' phones unplugged then and plug them in when you need to!!!" Duh, Captain Obvious. I understand that. I'm just trying to determine if there is a way I can eliminate that step and the need to constantly be switching gains and output devce settings like I can with my present setup.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #392 of 2,005
I had the same question! The "both active" setting is useful if you listen to headphones with a subwoofer (either attached to the speaker or preamp outputs). Someone also suggested listening to headphones and speakers simultaneously, which is an interesting effect.

There are probably many strategies for switching outputs! I use the middle gain setting exclusively these days, and "speakers only with headphones unplugged" is the default configuration. When I want to listen to music with headphones -- often when people are asleep in the house -- I turn the volume way down, start the music, and cycle outputs until the speakers stop (1 click barring misfires). Then I turn the volume all the way down, plug in the headphones, and adjust. When I'm done, I cycle outputs again until the headphones stop (2 clicks), and then unplug. Not super convenient, but it's a (now familiar) routine that keeps equipment safe, sleepers sleeping, and allows the next person to play music without calling tech support.

+1 on the custom label hack. I sometimes forget the output cycle, and labelled inputs come in handy as well.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #393 of 2,005
Plan B from inner space…

This is the diagram I made and then stuck to the front of my Rok.

JJ
Edit:  Well fracque, the diagram shows up in the editor but not in the post.
hmmmm  and now for plan B…

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #395 of 2,005
snip

Also what scenarios do you use the BOTH ACTIVE setting then? I like to keep my phones plugged in at all times as mentioned above. With one device at ideal level, it seems to me that the other would be at a significantly lesser or potentially more dangerous greater level.

I know someone will answer "Dude, just keep the frickin' phones unplugged then and plug them in when you need to!!!" Duh, Captain Obvious. I understand that. I'm just trying to determine if there is a way I can eliminate that step and the need to constantly be switching gains and output devce settings like I can with my present setup.

I just realized I didn't answer your questions… 
confused_face.gif

I have a 'cheap' set of speakers connected to the speaker outputs and their output level is similar enough to the spl of my 800's that I don't have to worry about switching between and betwixt the 3 output options and worrying about over driving anything.

But it also is a 'good idea' to ALWAYS turn the moar knob down when switching anything, be it inputs, outputs, or the course gain switching.

So for my setup, I don't worry about overdriving either my speakers nor my 800's.

JJ 

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #397 of 2,005
I'll be auditioning this amp at home soon, I've opted for the Chord Hugo to partner it, and some LCD-3Fs (I'll get the balanced Toxic Silver Poison).

I'm looking for a (big) improvement of accuracy and soundstage / 3D over my current setup, while retaining musicality. Would another DAC, or event LCD-X, be a better choice? Big fan of my LCD-2.2s, and never been a fan of overly analytical cans.

So little time, so many pieces of equipment to consider :¬)

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #398 of 2,005
  I'll be auditioning this amp at home soon, I've opted for the Chord Hugo to partner it, and some LCD-3Fs (I'll get the balanced Toxic Silver Poison).

I'm looking for a (big) improvement of accuracy and soundstage / 3D over my current setup, while retaining musicality. Would another DAC, or event LCD-X, be a better choice? Big fan of my LCD-2.2s, and never been a fan of overly analytical cans.

Yggy!!! Will be out soon…i hope :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #399 of 2,005

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #400 of 2,005

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream

Has anyone actually heard the Yggy? :¬)

The link (DAC recommendations) - he really dislikes the Hugo, which goes against so many other reviews from fellow peers and professionals. Far more say they love it than not, so I can't help but take that opinion with a pinch of subjective salt :¬)

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #401 of 2,005

Has anyone actually heard the Yggy? :¬)

The link (DAC recommendations) - he really dislikes the Hugo, which goes against so many other reviews from fellow peers and professionals. Far more say they love it than not, so I can't help but take that opinion with a pinch of subjective salt :¬)

Yes quite a few people have heard the Yggy proto.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #404 of 2,005

General consensus is that it is amazing and everyone should buy it. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I haven't read anyone say a negative thing about it yet.

Hmmm, food for thought. 30 day return on the Hugo, much time to play (and hope the Yggy is released and tested in that time).

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #405 of 2,005
  General consensus is that it is amazing and everyone should buy it. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I haven't read anyone say a negative thing about it yet.

There's actually been one negative thing said: While it is apparently not harsh or etched, it might be too detailed for some people.

Which, admittedly, doesn't sound like a negative at all to me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back