Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jul 17, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #931 of 2,024
I ordered the ragnarok last night. It shipped TODAY!!

Lucky you! Congrats.
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #933 of 2,024
I can't believe it. Too much good luck. I'm waiting for some bad luck to even it out. But I am so excited. I did think I had more time to get my balanced cable for my th900 lined up. But I'm not complaining.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #934 of 2,024
Well, I got my Ragnarok today and hooked it up. I use an Emotiva DC-1 connected to my iMac 5k and I use Roon to feed it all my music. I also use Emotiva Airmotiv 4 monitors so the Ragnarok appealed to my because I could run balanced cables to the Schiit then on to the monitors. I also have a subwoofer connected to the RCA jacks at the same time. That all works with the Ragnarok in the middle and it all sounds great. My headphones sound great through the chain even though I'm not burned-in yet (Oppo PM-3, Mr Speakers Ether and even Shure SE846) and I image that it will just get better. The only thing that I not liking so far is the volume clicking and the size of the Ragnarok. I have a hard time fitting it on my desk with everything else. I'll see if I can live with this for the next few days.

If you have the space, this is a great amp and it's exactly what I need for my setup.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #936 of 2,024
I've been a/B comparing the ragnarok and the lyr 2 with telefunkin e88cc (1967). Been At it for a few hours with selections chosen over a few weeks as music that might reveal differences in amps. And honestly I think the lyr 2 sound every bit as good if you have great tubes. Now it's true I do not have balanced headphones yet. Please tell me the difference between balanced and SE is huge. Both amps sound great to me.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #937 of 2,024
I've been a/B comparing the ragnarok and the lyr 2 with telefunkin e88cc (1967). Been At it for a few hours with selections chosen over a few weeks as music that might reveal differences in amps. And honestly I think the lyr 2 sound every bit as good if you have great tubes. Now it's true I do not have balanced headphones yet. Please tell me the difference between balanced and SE is huge. Both amps sound great to me.
Yes balanced output is where you will tell a difference. Also the Rag can drive on the cans the lyr can't such as the he6 etc(yes the lyr will produce sound from the he6, but it will be distorted and lack output). Something like the lcd2 will sound pretty good from both. What headphones are you a/b-ing with? that will likely explain what you are experiencing, that or lack of burn in, which is around 50hrs.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #939 of 2,024

I have both also and still using both. My Lyr 2 uses Amperex OG and it very good match with my DAC-19. With my NFB1-DAC (sabre) I didn't quite like the pairing with the Lyr 2. As for Rok's SE and balanced out, the balanced out is a level (at least) above the SE out. I am also using balanced cable for my Oppo PM-3 and am loving it!

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #940 of 2,024
I have both also and still using both. My Lyr 2 uses Amperex OG and it very good match with my DAC-19. With my NFB1-DAC (sabre) I didn't quite like the pairing with the Lyr 2. As for Rok's SE and balanced out, the balanced out is a level (at least) above the SE out. I am also using balanced cable for my Oppo PM-3 and am loving it!

Once I go balanced there's little going back. It would be a cable change. Which is more permanent than trying synthetic oil.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #941 of 2,024

When say it's a level above when balanced, out of how many levels? 10? 100?

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #942 of 2,024
When say it's a level above when balanced, out of how many levels? 10? 100?

I would say its like not knowing you have bad eyesight (not blind, just not 20/20) and then putting on glasses for the first time.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #943 of 2,024
I just got my ragnarok today. What is the burn-in on the Rag?

I've had mine for two weeks and it keeps getting better. Based on my experience with a Gungnir, an Yggy, and now the Rag, you might want to give your Schiit a solid month before coming to any serious conclusions.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #944 of 2,024
I would say its like not knowing you have bad eyesight (not blind, just not 20/20) and then putting on glasses for the first time.

I was hoping that single ended rag compared to lyr2 would be like putting glasses, and that then going balanced would be like putting on glasses on top of glasses. When I listen to my lyr2, I can't imagine how it could sound better. I really like the way fire2368 expresses it. My problem is that it is very very very easy to do a/B comparison of "without glasses/with glasses." If you had to take out you're eyes and then send them away for 3 - 8 weeks, it's such a relief when your eyes get back they might SEEM better even if they haven't changed. Our maybe it's like using glasses and them sending the glasses away. It's hard to make comparisons when the glasses come back again.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #945 of 2,024
I've had mine for two weeks and it keeps getting better. Based on my experience with a Gungnir, an Yggy, and now the Rag, you might want to give your Schiit a solid month before coming to any serious conclusions.

Can't do that. A solid month is twice the amount of time schiit gives me to make a return. Schiit doesn't suggest a burn-in period. They say the characteristics of the Rag are "set in stone"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back