Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Nov 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #166 of 2,027
Anyway, I'm very excited to get this amp, hopefully sometime in the next few months. Being able to use it with everything is a major selling point, and the fact that it seems to more or less live up to its goal of outperforming the competition regardless of price (at well under $2,000, no less!) solidifies my decision.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #167 of 2,027
  If I had SE headphones and a rag which I knew would be better with a balanced connection, why not clip the end off and solder on a 4 pin XLR for like $15?  We spend thousands more on smaller improvements, this seems like a the greatest gain for the smallest amount of money possible.

If you're lucky, then you can easily reterminate a cable, but some cans combine the grounds before they exit into the cable. In those cases, you need to do some rewiring. Whatever the case, I agree, it's a minor cost.

I'm agnostic on the whole balanced vs. unbalanced debate, but as mentioned, circlotron topology is inherently balanced and the Mjolnir doesn't even offer single-ended output. That tells you something.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #168 of 2,027
  Anyway, I'm very excited to get this amp, hopefully sometime in the next few months. Being able to use it with everything is a major selling point, and the fact that it seems to more or less live up to its goal of outperforming the competition regardless of price (at well under $2,000, no less!) solidifies my decision.

Very true, the flexibility makes it a very attractive option!

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #169 of 2,027
  If I had SE headphones and a rag which I knew would be better with a balanced connection, why not clip the end off and solder on a 4 pin XLR for like $15?  We spend thousands more on smaller improvements, this seems like the greatest gain for the smallest amount of money possible.

Exactly, if you are going to invest in an amp that goes for $1799 I think you wouldn't mind spending a little bit extra to make sure your using it for it's best capability, especially in this hobby where people spend thousands to get better sound quality. Just because it sounds better balanced doesn't mean you need to run out and buy some fancy balanced cable, even a stock balanced cable that most high end headphones come with will be fine.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #170 of 2,027
I just ran into what may be the biggest problem with Rag.

I just ordered speakers for my office at home: Sierra-2.

Should I order Kef LS50s too, returning the speakers I like less?  I assume the Sierra-2s will make me happy.

First decent speakers ever.  My wife doesn't want real speakers in the living or family room.

I prefer the sierra 2s to the LS50. Either would make you happy. Alternatively, Philharmonix philharmonitors are great and only $850

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #171 of 2,027
Im
I think you should get both and report back to us.  I need opinions.  I finally sold my maggies, so the hunt is on.

I'm thinking towers, maybe Zu Audio (because there's a picture from Schiit's offices of a set connected to Rag) or something else with a good price to performance ratio.

I'm going to be pairing mine up with the EA MicroOnes. It's using ceramic drivers rated at 86db at 6ohm so rather pretty difficult load. Currently have Goldmund Job225 to A/B the Ragnorak with. The Job225 have rather established a pretty good performance to value ratio from the owners on the Web (cost $1,699.00 also running A/B) so it will be interesting.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #173 of 2,027
I think what MusicAlchemist is saying is: Forget that the Ragnarok has an uber-magical balanced output. Then, not even considering that output at all, compare the remaining feature set & cost & SE output performance against the other SE amplifiers out there. If that comparison puts the Ragnarok on top, the Ragnarok is the best value and hence a good purchase even when it will only used for SE headphones.

Well that is not a logical argument. As stated the circlotron topology is designed as a balanced mode output. Period. The SE output is just a nice bonus -but- the primary intention was to use the balanced output for headphones. One must decide exactly what they really want and then purchase appropriately. Since there are several great choices for strictly single-ended available, why not just grab one of those unless the speaker drive capability is also really desired as well. In that case prioritize between headphone SE or speaker outputs and there ya have it. A decision! If you want SE headphone out AND speaker out, then the rag may be for you. If ya want only SE headphone out, then quite obviously the Ragnarok is NOT for you. At least that is the way I see it. I want balanced headphone out and speaker drive capability and killer SQ so the Ragnarok is on order.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #174 of 2,027
  Well that is not a logical argument. As stated the circlotron topology is designed as a balanced mode output. Period. The SE output is just a nice bonus -but- the primary intention was to use the balanced output for headphones. One must decide exactly what they really want and then purchase appropriately. Since there are several great choices for strictly single-ended available, why not just grab one of those unless the speaker drive capability is also really desired as well. In that case prioritize between headphone SE or speaker outputs and there ya have it. A decision! If you want SE headphone out AND speaker out, then the rag may be for you. If ya want only SE headphone out, then quite obviously the Ragnarok is NOT for you. At least that is the way I see it. I want balanced headphone out and speaker drive capability and killer SQ so the Ragnarok is on order.

I was implying that even if in objective terms there are better SE alternatives, some people may still prefer its sound.

I'm certainly not saying it's the best choice for that; it's just that there's no way to predict personal preference.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #175 of 2,027

I was implying that even if in objective terms there are better SE alternatives, some people may still prefer its sound.

I'm certainly not saying it's the best choice for that; it's just that there's no way to predict personal preference.

I agree. If you have single ended headphone and the Rag sounds better than any other amp you have heard at the same price point, then get one. If you like it better, great. You'll be happy.

However, for me, I could not stand the idea of knowing that a connector upgrade could give me much better sound with the amp I have on my desk. I think many people feel the same way about getting the most out of their gear and using the gear the way it was meant to be used.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #176 of 2,027
  I agree. If you have single ended headphone and the Rag sounds better than any other amp you have heard at the same price point, then get one. If you like it better, great. You'll be happy.

However, for me, I could not stand the idea of knowing that a connector upgrade could give me much better sound with the amp I have on my desk. I think many people feel the same way about getting the most out of their gear and using the gear the way it was meant to be used.

[a little off-topic]

Well whaddaya know...you're the developer of the Out Of Your Head software that I want to try out eventually.

How would you say it compares to the Smyth Realiser A8? Does using them in conjunction enhance the experience? (I noticed you own both.)

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #177 of 2,027

[a little off-topic]

Well whaddaya know...you're the developer of the Out Of Your Head software that I want to try out eventually.

How would you say it compares to the Smyth Realiser A8? Does using them in conjunction enhance the experience? (I noticed you own both.)

Yes, that's me. We should move any discussion of Out Of Your Head to the Out Of Your Head thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #179 of 2,027
My Raganarok was delivered a few hours ago. It's set up and I'm listening now through my KEF R100s...

I've been on a music-listening hiatus for several years and I have to say, it's really, really good to be back.

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #180 of 2,027
I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really enjoy the Mjolnir with my lcd2.2. I just found it too aggressive, and on the cold/brighter side. Does the Rag have a similar sound signature (assuming I'm not crazy, and the only one who felt this way about Mojo :) )

I should also add that its been suggested to me that it's because my wyred4sound dac2 just isn't a good match with Mjolnir. Still, I'm curious to hear how the sound signature of the Rag compares to that of Mjolnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back