Schiit products, shipping to Canada?
Nov 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #31 of 39
I just wanted to let fellow Canadians know about my experience as of Oct 23/2013. I placed an order for a Schiit Magni and Modi through the Schiit.com website and the cheapest shipping option I had was for USPS Priority International $35.75. The order shipped right away and I got it the following day (fast!).

Strangely Schiit had used FedEx instead of USPS which was listed on their site and when I received the package I had to pay for customs duties ($13.24) + GST ($10.84) + ROD fee ($10.50) = $34.58. That's $35.75 USD + $34.58 CAD for roughly $70 in shipping costs overall on a $200 purchase.

I contacted Schiit and they said:

I'm sorry that this happened.  We recently signed a new agreement with FedEx that has better pricing that makes it comparable to USPS and much faster delivery.  I was assured by our rep that there wouldn't be brokerage fees for our Canadian customers.  You are the first customer who has been charged a brokerage fee since the agreement was put in place.  Please send me a copy of your bill that lists the brokerage fee so I can investigate this with our rep and get back to you.  While you are responsible for the normal customs and duties, you shouldn't have to pay a brokerage fee.  You will be reimbursed for the fee either by us or by FedEx.

In the end they refunded me $10 which I assume is for the ROD Fee which is likely the brokerage fee he was referring to and $5 for my troubles.

I had also asked him questions about the Magni, about Canadian dealers and providing lower costing/slower shipping options for which I never received answers...

Just so you know!

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #32 of 39
The Headphone Bar in British Columbia carries Schiit equipment and has national shipping. The products are marked up a bit, the Asgard 2 is $269.95 + $8.95 fixed shipping charge. Here is a link www.headphonebar.com/schiit-asgard-2/ . I'm not sure how good their service is, I've only ordered a Fiio E6 from them a long time ago.

Edit: Under product description it says that they are sold out and waiting for more stock...

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #33 of 39
I did check out that site but didn't see the Magni or Modi. It looked a little unprofessional as well. I had just received an order from the US for something else and wasn't charged anything extra so I was feeling confident and a little anxious especially after seeing that they were going to use USPS which is supposed to be the preferred method to use to avoid customs fees. I also thought something may have been calculated into the $35 shipping price so I decided to just go for it.

The Modi and Magni sound great but my warm fuzzies have fizzled a bit due to the overblown shipping costs and the fact I had to dish out a decent chunk of change for cables as well.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #34 of 39
Headphone Bar is an excellent store that you should have no issues dealing with. I don't believe they carry the Magni and Modi , but most of the rest of the line. I ordered my Magni straight from Schiit with no issues

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #35 of 39
Deleted.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #36 of 39
  I just wanted to let fellow Canadians know about my experience as of Oct 23/2013. I placed an order for a Schiit Magni and Modi through the Schiit.com website and the cheapest shipping option I had was for USPS Priority International $35.75. The order shipped right away and I got it the following day (fast!).

Strangely Schiit had used FedEx instead of USPS which was listed on their site and when I received the package I had to pay for customs duties ($13.24) + GST ($10.84) + ROD fee ($10.50) = $34.58. That's $35.75 USD + $34.58 CAD for roughly $70 in shipping costs overall on a $200 purchase.

I contacted Schiit and they said:

In the end they refunded me $10 which I assume is for the ROD Fee which is likely the brokerage fee he was referring to and $5 for my troubles.

I had also asked him questions about the Magni, about Canadian dealers and providing lower costing/slower shipping options for which I never received answers...

Just so you know!

We get the occasional email asking about this thread.  Galactipus' order came during a time when we were ironing things out with FedEx.  There was a misunderstanding and we covered the cost.  It was a one time accommodation between this customer and Schiit Audio.  It is now clearly spelled out on our website: customers are responsible for all clearance fees and taxes including brokerage fees, sales tax, duties, etc. that may be imposed by Canada and your provincial government.  Brokerage fees usually run between $5 and $10.  The other taxes are variable depending on your local tax rate.  We are always looking at ways to get our products out to our international customers in less expensive ways.  To that end, we have negotiated a great shipping deal with FedEx and passed the savings directly to our customers. 

We do have one dealer in Canada, Headphone Bar.  They are located in Vancouver.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #37 of 39
I'm from Kitchener, Ontario and bought my Schiit Modi/Magni combo directly from Schiit. No duty charges were applied but the currency and shipping charges were ridiculous. Then I discovered that HEADPHONE BAR in Vancouver carries a few Schiit products at fair Canadian prices plus their shipping cost reasonable. In short a much better deal. I bought the Bifrost and it arrived in 4 days versus almost 2 weeks directly from Schiit.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #38 of 39
What I find the most funny is that I first ordered a schitt magni from schitt and cost me about 35$ usd and shipped us postal. Then paid 20$ import fees at the door to Canada. I later ordered a audio-gd nfb-15.32 from china which cost me 30$ and 20$ import fees which is comparable the biggest difference was the time it took to get the amps the magni took 3weeks to get from California and the nfb-15 took 4 days from china. Quite a difference considering the distance they both traveled.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #39 of 39
I ordered the Schiit Lyr2 2 weeks ago(I live in Israel) with USPS. it left USA a at 13 of august, But I didn't get any new update on when it's going to arrive, I cross my fingers that it is not stuck in customs. they can be cruel with electronic stuff and big amps... I had to pay more than 200 dollars customs fees for my Bifrost DAC. but I ordered it with Fedex(if it makes any difference or not..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back