Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 28, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #901 of 941
I’ve had bad experiences with SMSL/Topping too, which I only kept for a short time. Good riddance, I say. On the other hand, I’ve had a very positive experience with the Bifrost 2 while I had it for a year or so. The sound was organic and very lively, which I quite enjoyed. As for problems, I was using Windows mainly, but when I tried connecting it to a Mac, I started having Tidal issues. It also clicks when the sample rate changes. Assuming you let your music platform of choice take control over the DAC, you will hear a lot of clicks. But in terms of sound alone it is fantastic.
I've read a lot of great things about the Bifrost 2. I'm still a physical media person and for digital I use an Audiolab transport and coax cable to my DACs. A few years ago I moved out of state and downsized considerably. I sold my record collection, B&W speakers, McIntosh C29 preamp and MC2105 amp, and turntables. I've always had a pair of headphones going back 50 years to my first pair of Koss Pros but now I'm all headphones. No desire to accumulate more heavy stereo equipment just in case I want to move again.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #902 of 941
I ordered the Modius a few months ago and received the Modius E instead. All I know is that it's quite a bit brighter than my Bifrost 4490 - I'm very likely to sell it. The smooth, expansive presentation that I enjoy with my Bifrost is not there, and it sounds very sharp and analytical. How different is it from the original Modius? I have no idea, but either way I'm not a fan of receiving a different product than what I ordered.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #903 of 941
I ordered the Modius a few months ago and received the Modius E instead. All I know is that it's quite a bit brighter than my Bifrost 4490 - I'm very likely to sell it. The smooth, expansive presentation that I enjoy with my Bifrost is not there, and it sounds very sharp and analytical. How different is it from the original Modius? I have no idea, but either way I'm not a fan of receiving a different product than what I ordered.
Schiit should reimburse you in full, and provide a pre-paid label for you to send the product back. Don’t lose time nor money by selling it if that’s not what you ordered. If you want a very smooth presentation (potentially a bit dull depending on system synergy), maybe you could try the Ares 2. The Bifrost 2 is not sharp, but it’s very lively in my opinion.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #904 of 941
Schiit should reimburse you in full, and provide a pre-paid label for you to send the product back. Don’t lose time nor money by selling it if that’s not what you ordered. If you want a very smooth presentation (potentially a bit dull depending on system synergy), maybe you could try the Ares 2. The Bifrost 2 is not sharp, but it’s very lively in my opinion.

I was considering asking for a refund, but I'm likely going to be spending another 1-2 weeks to see if my perception changes at all. I regularly sell on eBay and will likely easily get my money back, so it's not a huge deal for me personally... but Schiit probably should have sent an email out to purchasers asking if they wanted to receive the Modius E, or cancel their order.

It does have its upsides - seems very detailed, with a seemingly blacker background. But I'm not sure it's for me. I may very well attempt to buy an AKM Modius to compare, and keep whichever I like best out of the three.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #905 of 941
Well, that's nothing like the Modius AK4493 and that's a shame.

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #906 of 941
Agreed, bright is not how I would describe the original Modius. Pretty smooth, not overly sharp and was a bit nicer than the Modi 2 it replaced. Part of me wishes I kept it, other DACs I’ve heard with the 9018 including Fulla E I find a bit bright so disappointing to read it being the same w/9028.

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #907 of 941
The Modi 3E isn't bright or harsh in my headphone setup. It was a pleasant surprise from the Topping D50s that I had and sold. Even though I think Schiit did a good job implementing the ES9018 in the Modi I still prefer my multibit or Modius.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #909 of 941
How does the new ES chip change the sound of the AK chip version of the Modius?

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #910 of 941
How does the new ES chip change the sound of the AK chip version of the Modius?
That is an audio myth that people can hear the difference. It may have been possible several years back before when there was a known ESS IMD hump, but even then it was quite unlikely that it was truly audible. You have to remember that the manufacturers use language in their marketing to gain the consumers attention and the create an expectation. That is how they attempt to differentiate themselves. The reality is that DAC chips are now so well designed that they are audibly transparent, meaning they do not colour the sound.

Any DAC that has a sound is flawed, period. It isn't an opinion, it isn't up for debate, it would be flawed. A DAC has one job, and one job only which is to take a digital stream and convert it to analogue output. It is extremely easy to do so in an audibly transparent fashion and it has been for years. Speakers introduce colour into a system, and that makes sense why. Your amp and your DAC are out of the way and it is the speaker or headphone that introduces colour.

I currently own and use two DACs, one has an ESS chip, the other a AKM. I have owned more than one example of both chips before and I never believed that they sound different. Those who tell you otherwise are making claims that they sound different because they were conditioned by reading what others told them they would hear. Nobody is doing proper level matched, multiple trial, blind listening tests. You get an ESS based DAC and an AKM based DAC, properly designed. Have them absolutely level matched and do ten trials blind where they are compared. If 9 out of 10 trials you can tell the two apart, you have some proof. Simply listening to them sighted provides zero evidence.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #911 of 941
So do you think ESS Burned down the AKM factory?

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #914 of 941
That is an audio myth that people can hear the difference. It may have been possible several years back before when there was a known ESS IMD hump, but even then it was quite unlikely that it was truly audible. You have to remember that the manufacturers use language in their marketing to gain the consumers attention and the create an expectation. That is how they attempt to differentiate themselves. The reality is that DAC chips are now so well designed that they are audibly transparent, meaning they do not colour the sound.

Any DAC that has a sound is flawed, period. It isn't an opinion, it isn't up for debate, it would be flawed. A DAC has one job, and one job only which is to take a digital stream and convert it to analogue output. It is extremely easy to do so in an audibly transparent fashion and it has been for years. Speakers introduce colour into a system, and that makes sense why. Your amp and your DAC are out of the way and it is the speaker or headphone that introduces colour.

I currently own and use two DACs, one has an ESS chip, the other a AKM. I have owned more than one example of both chips before and I never believed that they sound different. Those who tell you otherwise are making claims that they sound different because they were conditioned by reading what others told them they would hear. Nobody is doing proper level matched, multiple trial, blind listening tests. You get an ESS based DAC and an AKM based DAC, properly designed. Have them absolutely level matched and do ten trials blind where they are compared. If 9 out of 10 trials you can tell the two apart, you have some proof. Simply listening to them sighted provides zero evidence.
Now this is funny.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #915 of 941
Although not being used anymore, I was using a Modius AKM 4493 with an Asgard 3, then a Jotunheim 2. In both cases I felt the Modius performed well. For the money it was and likely still is considered by many as the benchmark performer. IMHO a musical DAC, not sharp, edgy or analytical. I damped the caps and PC board with fo.Q T-102 which lowered the noise floor and improved performance. Also an iFi iPower X again improved the performance further. I was very happy with the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back