Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jan 9, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #917 of 941
Troubleshooting question for the group.

Got my Modius that I got for Xmas all hooked up . Works great via USB but I tried TOSLINK from my PCs motherboard and it has a stutter/drop for a microsecond at random intervals. Tried all bit/Hz settings and all drivers/firmware on my motherboard are up to date and tried 3 different optical cables. Reason I want to use TOSLINK is so that I can also have my phone/tablet hooked up via USB and change between with the Modius as needed. Any tips/tricks to troubleshoot?

Maybe I could just use a USB switch?

Other than the TOSLINK weirdness it sounds fantastic paired with the little Piety.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #918 of 941
I hooked the Modius up to my TV via the TVs TOSLINK and it worked fine. Probably just bad implementation on my PC motherboard which is a bummer because it is quite an expensive motherboard. I did have to change some settings on my AVR to enable full HDMI passthrough (NVIDIA Shield->AVR->TV) when in standby but other than that it worked seamlessly. Off to Amazon to get a longer TOSLINK cable so I dont have to move my stack around.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #920 of 941
Hi NiftyVT, if you dont mind me asking, which Modius are you using and what TV is it hooked up to? I was guessing Modius E but didn't want to assume.

Its a Modius E as far as I can tell. Just purchased last month direct from Schiit. Going to a Samsung 4k TV via their One Connect Box. TV is pretty old, I think 2013 ish, one of the first to have a one connect box. If you need the TV model number I can get it when I get home from work.

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #923 of 941
I have been researching this question and been a little confused about the exact answer. If I connect the balanced outputs off the modius to a SE amp using a xlr to RCA cable, would I cause damage to either the DAC or Amp? My understanding is the amp would start clipping before max volume due to the 4v input, but besides that it should be ok?

I'd like to run two SE amps off the Modius at the same time if possible.

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #924 of 941
I have been researching this question and been a little confused about the exact answer. If I connect the balanced outputs off the modius to a SE amp using a xlr to RCA cable, would I cause damage to either the DAC or Amp? My understanding is the amp would start clipping before max volume due to the 4v input, but besides that it should be ok?

I'd like to run two SE amps off the Modius at the same time if possib
I would imagine you would do some damage to your equipment that way. XLR is 4v as you point out but se is only 2v. My advice would be to go to the Schitt website and purchase the Schitt Sys which would take your se output and split it into two seperate se outputs controllable with the flick of a button with a volume control to boot. Better safe than sorry and it is only $49!

Disregard, The SYS is for two inputs and one output.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #925 of 941

An RCA Y-splitter or Y-cable would work fine for this, for example (there are lots of alternatives in all kinds of price ranges):

3BD05CCF-9946-4538-BAEB-D43EA5A9F772.jpegF19DA349-2227-48A6-9841-38FFBF5C4DD0.jpeg

(one for each channel)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #926 of 941

I’ve used this configuration with XLR to RCA cables and haven’t noticed any ill effects, although I am running it balanced currently.

May 1, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #927 of 941
I’ve used this configuration with XLR to RCA cables and haven’t noticed any ill effects, although I am running it balanced currently.
Not familiar with the specific reason why but recall hearing Goldensound say cables that convert balanced to single ended are not safe.

May 3, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #929 of 941
I don't think he meant burn your house down unsafe, but more like damage downstream equipment unsafe.
It's not even that dangerous. I've used XLR to RCA adapters in a few situations and use them currently to feed the subs in my main system. The worst thing that can happen is that you get a hum, because some gear doesn't like having the unused pin grounded. Benchmark makes a cable that floats the third pin instead of grounding it, which eliminates the potential for hum:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...ark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating
Not familiar with the specific reason why but recall hearing Goldensound say cables that convert balanced to single ended are not safe.
No way! XLR to RCA adapters are available from numerous respected manufacturers and common in pro and consumer audio systems.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #930 of 941
I hate to bring ASR into this, but a thread over here seems to have been very helpful on this discussion:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../xlr-output-to-rca-input-done-properly.32051/

Instead of shorting it to ground, leave out pin 3 completely in the adapter for maximum compatibility/safety. Pin 3 is commonly shorted to ground, and is usually okay, but not 100% of the time. If you take pin 3 completely out of the equation, no issue. There's also a link in that thread to an adapter made by Emotiva for a reasonable price, that looks like it'd be a perfect solution: https://emotiva.com/products/balanced-xlr-female-to-unbalanced-rca-female-adapter-interconnect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back