Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #676 of 941
God no. I had an AudioLab M-DAC years ago that had a Sabre chip. Was bright and hideous and gave me a headache. I hated it. Nothing they have produced since has changed my mind.
I had a Topping D50s and sold it after two weeks. I'll admit it's an entry level DAC and it's the only Sabre DAC I've owned.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #677 of 941
I read somewhere on the web that Schitt had "a years" worth of AKM inventory so, the plant fire for them was not a huge concern in the near term like it might be for some other manufacturers.

I don't know what their annual production volume is or what AKM's minimum chip buy is but, I am under the impression that Schitt is pretty stable right now in terms of production for current models.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #678 of 941
That's actually not a lot and probably puts a lot of pressure on engineering.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #680 of 941
Really basic question coming up. I'm in the UK and the Modius has just arrived and as we know it comes with a US adapter. I have a US-to-UK adapter coming in the post but could I use my existing UK USB plug that is rated at 5V output and has been powering my Modi 3?

1611937151171.jpg

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #681 of 941
Regarding the plug Q above, I think I'm sorted. I'm good to go with the USB plug I have

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #683 of 941
Really basic question coming up. I'm in the UK and the Modius has just arrived and as we know it comes with a US adapter. I have a US-to-UK adapter coming in the post but could I use my existing UK USB plug that is rated at 5V output and has been powering my Modi 3?

1611937151171.jpg

Assuming the amperage delivered isn't way out of spec, it should not be an issue. Some of the newer laptops and high power tablets are using USB for >~3A which is a ton of power for a lot of things that really only use milliamps.

On a related note, a lot of my new electronics these days are rated for 100V to 250V and 50Hz or 60Hz power so, all I would really need during most travel is a universal plug adapter.

If you look at the included plug/wall wart and it calls out ~1.5A, most USB options will be safe to power with whatever USB power source you choose in the same range. Myself, I'm using some USB hubs with either 1.5A or 2.4A outputs without issue for everything from earbuds to cellphones and tablets. My new tablet and cellphone though both need a really long night to charge if they are really depleted. The newer Quicc 3.0 hub with 2.4A output does quick charging much better but, I'm cautious of battery heat for battery lifespan concerns so, an all-night slow recharge is my normal thing.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #686 of 941

Users who are viewing this thread

Back