Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #646 of 941
And no, you don't need 'snake oil' price-gouged cables, however, quality name brands like "ANKER" in my case do make a difference compared to the normal cheap USB cables that ship with everything these days.

One of the cable I tried is indeed an Anker micro usb Cable purchased on Amazon. I dont have '' audiophile ''micro usb Cables.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #647 of 941
One of the cable I tried is indeed an Anker micro usb Cable purchased on Amazon. I dont have '' audiophile ''micro usb Cables.

:worried: Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you could put it in service with a quick trip to a local store for a better cable. I have had a few similar experiences like that where I "lucked out" and with a tip on a forum like this and found a button to reset or something similar to put my 'toy' in service.

I hope your in-country service center gets you taken care of quickly.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #648 of 941
:worried: Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you could put it in service with a quick trip to a local store for a better cable. I have had a few similar experiences like that where I "lucked out" and with a tip on a forum like this and found a button to reset or something similar to put my 'toy' in service.

I hope your in-country service center gets you taken care of quickly.

Hi sidpost,
Thanks, I really wanted it to work (in usb mode) and I have quite some cables/pc/mac etc at home to test.

It's electronic equipment so it can happen.

I sent back today the unit to Schiit CA. I will report once the SAV process is complete.

Best Regards

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #649 of 941
Likewise, been running it for 4 days. Plays for hours, but if cable is bumped or touched in any way, it loses datastream at the micro end and has to be unplugged and reconnected. Easily repeatable, so sensitive to movement that if a spider ran across the desk and bumped it, the stream would be broken. Tried other micro cables, but they must be charge only, no data. Emailed Schiit tonight.
I've had nothing bus issues with Schiit products and USB. My Bifrost 4490 would not install the drivers nor work in Windows 10. I refuse to even try the Modius via USB. I skipped straight to SPDIF.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #650 of 941
I'm surprised to hear about these issues. I plugged mine in powering via USB from my plugged in laptop. Instant flawless performance and no issues with the cord moving slightly as my standing desk goes up and down.

I'd send it back Schiit if I was having some of the issues described.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #651 of 941
Schiit’s issuing me an RA and sending me a shipping label. Response from them was immediate.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #652 of 941
Hi Everyone.

New Feedback and problem solved on my side.
I confirm 1rst unit had a problem. The second unit is working perfectly.

Customer Service at SCHIIT Audio is very good.
No question asked . I returned my unit and they sent me another unit.
They also paid for return of the first unit.
also I'm Near PARIS - In France 🇫🇷 so not in Neighbourhood :sweat_smile:
Great Support/Customer Service. Problem very well handled.

It's my first purchase of a Schiit product and with my experience I can only recommend to everyone their company.

Back to The MODIUS.

It Sounds very Good. Very Open and wide .
For now & I tested only RCA out with my NAD amp and dynaudio Speakers so it should be even better with XLR balanced.

I will report later with my headphones (HD599, HD6xx , HD800, Beyer DT990 ) and the Bryston BHA 1 if anyone is interested.

First impressions in the video bellow. (Sorry for my English / Accent :D ).

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #654 of 941
I’ve recently ordered Magnius/Modius stack (also Modi 3+/Magni Heresy stack). Excited to try them out whenever they arrive!

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #656 of 941
I’ve recently ordered Magnius/Modius stack (also Modi 3+/Magni Heresy stack). Excited to try them out whenever they arrive!
Would love to hear how you like them.
Are you going to run the Modius/Magnius with headphones balanced?
Read in a couple places that the Magnius is a balanced orientated AMP and not the best for SE usage.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #657 of 941
Would love to hear how you like them.
Are you going to run the Modius/Magnius with headphones balanced?
Read in a couple places that the Magnius is a balanced orientated AMP and not the best for SE usage.

Yes, I will be using Meze 99 Classics w/ 4-pin XLR balanced cabling. I will also use XLR interconnects between Modius/Magnius. Still planning what I’ll use as a source.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #658 of 941
Replacement Modius arrived. No cutting out on micro connector and the feel is completely solid. The first one clearly was loose on the board. So a few days running music, then will see what I think of it.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #659 of 941
Just wanted to note that I sold my RME ADI-2 FS in favor of the Schiit Modius today.

They use the same dac chip but one costs over $1,000 and one costs only $200.

I had an Abyss 1266 Phi TC demo here at home and pairing the RME ADI-2 FS + my GS-X Mini was not the best combination to my ears. I tried pairing the $200 Modius with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC and the same amp mentioned above, and, the sound was less flat and one dimensional. Also sounded smoother and more holographic. Nice dynamics. I had my husband setup a little blind test for me where I paired the RME ADI-2 FS and the Modius with the Headamp GS-X Mini and I tried all sorts of headphones with a blindfold on while switching between dacs. Most times, I picked the Modius in the blind tests so I just decided to sell the RME.

So for anyone wondering if this really is that good of a dac, it truly is. My Bifrost 2 is of course a completely different animal, but, I would wholeheartedly say that this is one really amazing inexpensive dac.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #660 of 941
My Bifrost 2 is of course a completely different animal, but, I would wholeheartedly say that this is one really amazing inexpensive dac.

I'd love to hear your comparison to the Bifrost 2.

Personally, I really like my Modius, especially balanced with my Jot 2. I'd planned to purchase a Bifrost 2 (probably 2nd hand), but I've put that on hold. On the last Schitt Show, featuring Mike Moffat (the digital guru at Schitt), Jason Stoddard made a statement off camera. "2021 will be the Golden Year for digital audio".

If not a new DAC, I believe Schitt will release updated version(s) of at least the Bifrost 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back