Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #635 of 941
No, I don't think so - get a good one, but you should be fine with a longer one. I will get eviscerated but spend the extra $10 or $20 on an Oyaide or an Audioquest. But everyone will just say to buy the Amazon Basics and save $10. This is where it's unfortunate that Schiit chose a MicroUSB for the Modius, not because of the quality of Micro, but because it's much easier to find quality standard USBs and everyone has a few lying around.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #636 of 941
No, I don't think so - get a good one, but you should be fine with a longer one. I will get eviscerated but spend the extra $10 or $20 on an Oyaide or an Audioquest. But everyone will just say to buy the Amazon Basics and save $10. This is where it's unfortunate that Schiit chose a MicroUSB for the Modius, not because of the quality of Micro, but because it's much easier to find quality standard USBs and everyone has a few lying around.

Thank you for this. 😊

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #637 of 941
Hi,

Asgard 3 + Modius + HD6XX?

Thanks!
I have not listened to the Modius but I know Asgard 3 with the HD650 and the JDS Labs OL DAC sounds amazing. Adding the Modius to the chain instead of the OL DAC won’t make it worse I am sure. Will it make it better? I seriously doubt it. The amp is much more important than the DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #638 of 941
I need a slightly longer usb cable for my desk arrangement; would there be any issues if I get a cable for my Modius that's double the length of the included micro usb cable?
Personally, I don't understand the need for expensive USB cables. The cable transfers 1's and 0's. There shouldn't be any problem with EMI.

I've been using the 10 foot length from this set to connect my Modius to my computer. Dead quite, no problems.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #639 of 941
Edit : Problem solved (replacement unit)

Hi everyone,

Just received my unit and sad to report it just dont work with usb at all using self powered connection and usinq usb adapteur .
Tested on Imac and PC ...

I probably received a defective unit. Hope Schiit SAV will handle as I'm based in France and paid quite a lot of shipment for this unit.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #640 of 941
Just received my unit and sad to report it just dont work with usb at all using self powered connection and usinq usb adapteur .

I probably received a defective unit. Hope Schiit SAV will handle as I'm based in France and paid quite a lot of shipment for this unit.

I've really struggled with USB cables - QED and Supra USB cables didn't work (though they work fine with a Mojo), and I dug through a pile of unknown brand cables on hand - and found only a single cable that worked (I didn't happen to try the Schiit cable that was included - I was already using that run to a USB power adapter).

Since your Mac isn't showing the Modius available as an output device - I think you could have a similar USB cable issue.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #641 of 941
JDS Element 2 or a Modius/Asgard3 stack? I have a birthday coming up and my parents said they will buy me a new setup.

Currently I have an HD6xx, Sundara, and X2HR. I get that none of these require as much power but I would like to futureproof, especially since the money is not coming out of my pocket right now!
I love the aesthetics of both the Element 2 and the Modius/A3 stack but I give the edge to the Element because I LOVE the look of the huge knob. But the Modius/A3 also looks great and has the benefit of being 2 separate units if I ever feel the need to upgrade in the future.
Not really considering balanced now because of the increase to cost to headphones which will come from my pocket lol

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #642 of 941
Hi everyone,

Likewise, been running it for 4 days. Plays for hours, but if cable is bumped or touched in any way, it loses datastream at the micro end and has to be unplugged and reconnected. Easily repeatable, so sensitive to movement that if a spider ran across the desk and bumped it, the stream would be broken. Tried other micro cables, but they must be charge only, no data. Emailed Schiit tonight.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #643 of 941
Likewise, been running it for 4 days. Plays for hours, but if cable is bumped or touched in any way, it loses datastream at the micro end and has to be unplugged and reconnected. Easily repeatable, so sensitive to movement that if a spider ran across the desk and bumped it, the stream would be broken. Tried other micro cables, but they must be charge only, no data. Emailed Schiit tonight.

hi gefski , My unit usb connexion is not partially working. Not working at all.

I've really struggled with USB cables - QED and Supra USB cables didn't work (though they work fine with a Mojo), and I dug through a pile of unknown brand cables on hand - and found only a single cable that worked (I didn't happen to try the Schiit cable that was included - I was already using that run to a USB power adapter).

Since your Mac isn't showing the Modius available as an output device - I think you could have a similar USB cable issue.

Hi Mikem1062,

I tested with the 3 micro usb cables i had on hand (including the provided cable) and also on a PC instead of the Mac. It's probably a defective unit because i get no power or light when i connect the self powered usb port only.

The DAC worked fine with Optical SPDIF.

I'm shipping the unit back to Schiit after contact with SAV. I'll update when I'll receive a new unit.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #644 of 941
JDS Element 2 or a Modius/Asgard3 stack? I have a birthday coming up and my parents said they will buy me a new setup.

Currently I have an HD6xx, Sundara, and X2HR. I get that none of these require as much power but I would like to futureproof, especially since the money is not coming out of my pocket right now!
I love the aesthetics of both the Element 2 and the Modius/A3 stack but I give the edge to the Element because I LOVE the look of the huge knob. But the Modius/A3 also looks great and has the benefit of being 2 separate units if I ever feel the need to upgrade in the future.
Not really considering balanced now because of the increase to cost to headphones which will come from my pocket lol
Element 2 has a nice look to it (similar to Hel and fulla), but its likely a chip amp, and using 9mm volume pot, versus the all-discrete design of Asgard 3 and a 27mm Alps "blue beauty" volume control. while I don't have an Element 2, I do have A3 and it's an excellent amp (driving 16 ohm planars with it) fed from a Bifrost OG Multibit. Modius / A3 stack will have higher performance, especially into low impedance HPs (since you seem to be planning for a HP upgrade someday, possibly a second-hand Susvara??? Modius also has a Unison USB interface.

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #645 of 941
Hi everyone,

Total BUMMER I'm sure.

Any chance it is a cable problem? I have had cable problems in the past, especially with power. I ended up getting "expensive" name brand USB cables that have much better wire quality and wire isolation which solved many USB related issues for me.

And no, you don't need 'snake oil' price-gouged cables, however, quality name brands like "ANKER" in my case do make a difference compared to the normal cheap USB cables that ship with everything these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back