Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Oct 8, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #601 of 941
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #602 of 941
I guess I didn’t clarify. I meant bifrost 2. Also measurements doesn’t always equate to better sound. It’s one indicator. I had the D90 and bifrost 2 as well and to my ears the bf2 sounded better.
Fair, and I do agree that measurements aren't the absolute standard to use, but they are very important, not just one factor. And with DACs in particular measurements are very important as the job of the DAC is not to introduce any character into the sound. If the DAC is introducing character, well that is a flawed design. The DAC must simply, and faithfully take a digital stream and convert it for analogue output. And the analogue stage should also be designed to not introduce character as that is certainly not the job there either. End devices such as headphones or speakers are where character is introduced and that makes sense as for one, it is pretty difficult to not do so, plus it is the excepted place in the chain where it makes the most sense.

I also make a distinction between audible and inaudible measured parameters. So even though I say measurements are very important, and they are, not every difference between devices is meaningful. Distortion or noise products below the threshold of audibility are a curiosity but not impactful. When I use such reviews as the ones that I linked I look for what is audible so if a distortion product or signal to noise measure become audible, that is where the objective clearly should take precedence over the subjective. Some people may actually enjoy the type of distortion, look at the love some tube amps get when clearly the distortion products are very audible, but despite that the distortion is frequently perceived as pleasant. I do think that adherence to measurements needs to be nuanced and realistic. Not everything matters, but to just discount measurements altogether, that isn't a great position to take either.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #603 of 941
To each their own then. To me the Jotunheim sounded congested and harsh compared to the the thx 789 and A90. I did use it with both the add on multibit dac and Modius dac. As soon as i switched over to the other two amps I felt the music opened up and lost the harshness that I heard with the Arya and Elegia. I’ve since bought the bifrost and that’s obviously another level from the Modius both in sq and price.
Isn't it great we have a choice?

Some like vanilla, some like chocolate, ice cream, like music, is great!

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #604 of 941
The sound is reported to be much warmer when using the SE output. Ideally the sound should be the same, with balanced having a lower noise floor and higher output voltage. Am I missing anything?
I've used the balanced and SE with a Neve headphone amp and there wasn't much of a discernable difference between the two. At least to my ears.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #605 of 941
Right had my Modius and Asgard stack now on most of the Day not sure if i like this DAC any better then me old M/F V90 DAC burr brown chip its replaced i really want to like it cause the stack looks really nice me old Dac with the magni 3 looked out of place. Maybe i should give it few days to see what happens

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #607 of 941
Is everyone still loving their modius as much as I am? Anyone caught upgraditis?

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #610 of 941
Yep id go for the Bifrost 2 as my next DAC but don't think you will get a massive upgrade in sound for the money difference. No doubt it will be better then the Modius but don't think it will be the money difference worth. The reason i will stick with my Modius it sounds great to my ears

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #611 of 941
Yep id go for the Bifrost 2 as my next DAC but don't think you will get a massive upgrade in sound for the money difference. No doubt it will be better then the Modius but don't think it will be the money difference worth. The reason i will stick with my Modius it sounds great to my ears
I'm sticking with the Modius for now.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #612 of 941
I guess I didn’t clarify. I meant bifrost 2. Also measurements doesn’t always equate to better sound. It’s one indicator. I had the D90 and bifrost 2 as well and to my ears the bf2 sounded better.
I just heard the D90, and not worth it. I would recommend going with something like Modius and save money. I wouldn't correlate sound performance strictly on SINAD or that sort of nonsense, and if you did, you can end up with something not worthwhile like the D90.

Ok, Matrix X-Sabre Pro actually does sound good and measures well, but this will not always be the case.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #613 of 941
Hey guys,

If you're on the fence between the Bifrost 2 and the Modius, I've done a review and comparison around them both over here if you're interested.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 4.24.15 PM.png
1606800340039.png

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #614 of 941
Hey guys,

If you're on the fence between the Bifrost 2 and the Modius, I've done a review and comparison around them both over here if you're interested.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 4.24.15 PM.png
1606800340039.png
Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and comparison. I too went through the Jotunheim Multibit then the Modius before ending up with the Bifrost. The bifrost does sound more engaging and less digital but the difference between the three is not that much. Knowing myself I would also wonder what if and decided to just bite the bullet and get the BF. I have it paired with the A90 like you and enjoy that pairing very much.

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #615 of 941
Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and comparison. I too went through the Jotunheim Multibit then the Modius before ending up with the Bifrost. The bifrost does sound more engaging and less digital but the difference between the three is not that much. Knowing myself I would also wonder what if and decided to just bite the bullet and get the BF. I have it paired with the A90 like you and enjoy that pairing very much.
Nice one mate, thanks for taking the time to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back