Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #721 of 941
Stream of consciousness impressions:

*received the modius this morning...went to work with music playing and came back late afternoon to listen.

*really digging the form factor and stackability with Jot 2/Asgard 3.

*color and finish is different than Jot2. It's not dramatic. I actually like it better than the amp finish. Has a "pearl" luster to it. Maybe call it aluminum pearl. That might make a great name for automotive paint. Hmm...

*now starts the listening. There is definitely a sharper leading edge, particularly up top with lower and mid treble frequencies than something like bf2 or any multibit DAC for that matter. Overall signature sounds a little bit harsh and not quite as natural as I'm used to. Cymbals taps and snare brush strokes are edgy and slightly strident and not as natural. Not getting that emotional connection to singers voices which are typically captivating to me on test tracks. Bass is pretty tight and punchy if not a little elevated. So far this is with Jot 2 and Ether 2.

*the functionality is great. It's wonderful to have balanced at this price point. Speaking of balanced, it sounds noticeably better than SE IMO. Maybe not truly gimped SE (ala OG bifrost) but certainly an improvement.

*switching to modius and asgard 3, this setup is struggling to drive this headphone. I'm a fairly low level listener and I almost never get past 12 on the dial. But with this combo I'm pushing the amp to nearly 3:00 and there is a little clipping. With Jot 2 this is no problem and the amp drives ether 2 perfectly with good grip on those planar drivers.

*possibly this is a case of accepting something lesser once you're used to a higher level DAC. (this is a second rig for my bedroom) Maybe if you are new to the hobby and haven't owned higher tiered dacs, then the modius would sound just great. I'm going to reserve final judgement for now. I will give the system time to burn in properly and test more combinations of gear and different headphones with it (hd650 is next). But so far I'm finding that the modius is simply priced appropriately for what you get. It's no giant killer and why would schiit make it so? I'm hearing that it's maybe about 5% better than a modi 3 if memory serves correctly. Even with balanced connections, I'm not hearing 25-30% better than modi...nope. Now I could say that about the bifrost 2, easily. But so far, what I hear is that you're getting what you pay for at the $200 mark based schiits other products, which is certainly not bad at all.

more to come...

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #722 of 941
Stream of consciousness impressions:

*received the modius this morning...went to work with music playing and came back late afternoon to listen.

*really digging the form factor and stackability with Jot 2/Asgard 3.

*color and finish is different than Jot2. It's not dramatic. I actually like it better than the amp finish. Has a "pearl" luster to it. Maybe call it aluminum pearl. That might make a great name for automotive paint. Hmm...

*now starts the listening. There is definitely a sharper leading edge, particularly up top with lower and mid treble frequencies than something like bf2 or any multibit DAC for that matter. Overall signature sounds a little bit harsh and not quite as natural as I'm used to. Cymbals taps and snare brush strokes are edgy and slightly strident and not as natural. Not getting that emotional connection to singers voices which are typically captivating to me on test tracks. Bass is pretty tight and punchy if not a little elevated. So far this is with Jot 2 and Ether 2.

*the functionality is great. It's wonderful to have balanced at this price point. Speaking of balanced, it sounds noticeably better than SE IMO. Maybe not truly gimped SE (ala OG bifrost) but certainly an improvement.

*switching to modius and asgard 3, this setup is struggling to drive this headphone. I'm a fairly low level listener and I almost never get past 12 on the dial. But with this combo I'm pushing the amp to nearly 3:00 and there is a little clipping. With Jot 2 this is no problem and the amp drives ether 2 perfectly with good grip on those planar drivers.

*possibly this is a case of accepting something lesser once you're used to a higher level DAC. (this is a second rig for my bedroom) Maybe if you are new to the hobby and haven't owned higher tiered dacs, then the modius would sound just great. I'm going to reserve final judgement for now. I will give the system time to burn in properly and test more combinations of gear and different headphones with it (hd650 is next). But so far I'm finding that the modius is simply priced appropriately for what you get. It's no giant killer and why would schiit make it so? I'm hearing that it's maybe about 5% better than a modi 3 if memory serves correctly. Even with balanced connections, I'm not hearing 25-30% better than modi...nope. Now I could say that about the bifrost 2, easily. But so far, what I hear is that you're getting what you pay for at the $200 mark based schiits other products, which is certainly not bad at all.

more to come...
Sadly I missed out on your Modius + Asgard 3 sale. Do you have any final thoughts on the combo?

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #723 of 941
Hello, I have a weird little problem. I'm in the process of selling my Modius and when gathering all the pieces to put in the box, I'm unable to find the wall wart. I don't even remember receiving a wall wart with my Modius, actually, but I want to make sure I'm including everything that came with it. It should be easy to spot amongst all my Schiit warts, because the Modius one uses a micro-usb input rather than the traditional barrel style - but so far no luck. At minimum, I stopped using the wall wart immediately and just ran off USB power.

Can anyone confirm or post pics of the micro-USB wall wart that is included with Modius? I'm worried I may be hunting for something that doesn't even exist, but it does say it comes with one. I looked on the Schiit site under their wall wart section and can't even find a Modius-specific wart.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #724 of 941
Hello, I have a weird little problem. I'm in the process of selling my Modius and when gathering all the pieces to put in the box, I'm unable to find the wall wart. I don't even remember receiving a wall wart with my Modius, actually, but I want to make sure I'm including everything that came with it. It should be easy to spot amongst all my Schiit warts, because the Modius one uses a micro-usb input rather than the traditional barrel style - but so far no luck. At minimum, I stopped using the wall wart immediately and just ran off USB power.

Can anyone confirm or post pics of the micro-USB wall wart that is included with Modius? I'm worried I may be hunting for something that doesn't even exist, but it does say it comes with one. I looked on the Schiit site under their wall wart section and can't even find a Modius-specific wart.
https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ch...&keywords=5v+wall+wart&qid=1615930520&sr=8-31

it's basically a black basic one like this, like ones you see come with cell phones these days.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #725 of 941

Yes, a wall wart is included.
Whoops, didn't see tha post above.

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #726 of 941
Yes, a wall wart is included.
Whoops, didn't see tha post above.
Thanks, that was very helpful - now I knew what I was looking for and surprisingly, found it. Crisis averted!

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #727 of 941
Ok I have it now. But wonder how does SE and balanced compare? Would it make sense to try XLR to rca cable to take advantage of bal circuitry (just less volts)
on se amp? Especially since ppl claim that both outputs sound different

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #732 of 941
Yes, an email from Schiit and Fedex a few hours later. I got my HD 6XX earlier this week, they are in the garage getting some hours on them with a balanced cable due shortly. Turning out to be a fun month for gear.

EDIT: just checked the letterbox, cable from Ali Express came. Only waiting on the Modius now to complete the set-up with the Burson Soloist 3X.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #734 of 941
Isn't it better to choose jotunheim with build-in dac module for additional $100?
I haven't heard the built-in dac module, but go for the Modius. For me, this is the best value proposition as far as dac goes. Been using the X-Sabre Pro for a long time, I was surprised at how close this gets for only USD200. The Modius also has a very friendly tonality in my opinion, meaning it can fit systems easily.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back