Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 22, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #346 of 941
I Just ordered this for my AAA789, I’ve been using the modi 2 does anyone think this would be a significant upgrade? Or maybe I should get a different dac. I’ve noticed my WM1A SE/BAL seems to have better sound alone with my Solaris than my modi>789>Solaris
I had it running off a modi3, I think you’ll notice an improvement. This dac synergies well with THX789 imo because it no longer sounds overly sharpened to my ears.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #348 of 941
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #352 of 941
I ordered a JDS Labs Element II but now I am kinda regretting not ordering this with a AAA 789. I can’t return the Element as it has a custom engraving (oops) so I am going to take some sort of hit $100-200 Canadian I man guessing. Are balanced outputs going to really make a difference when I mainly have aac files and some apple lossless from years ago? I guess also eliminating potential ground loop is another’s benefit? Other then that it’s gaming. Headphones are 660s currently.

I have an Element II and an Asgard 3/Modius stack. They sound very similar, pretty much transparent (the Asgard may be just slightly warmer than the 789, but this is debatable). I definitely can’t say one sounds better than the other. I’d suggest keeping your Element and enjoying it.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #353 of 941
Any comparisons between the topping D50 and the Modius I’m torn in between the two

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #354 of 941
Any comparisons between the topping D50 and the Modius I’m torn in between the two
I had a D50s and prefer the Modius. The D50s had a hard digital sound, for lack of better description, that I found harsh. The Modius has a very open, big soundstage with great separation between the instruments. It's purely subjective and I'm sure that there are people who love the D50s. I was impressed with the build quality of the Topping.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #355 of 941
Easy call, get the Modius. The D50s doesn't sound as good as the Modi 3, IME. I sent the Topping back.

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #357 of 941
After a few days with the Bifrost2 and Modius, I can make a few comparisons.

the Modius has a bit less resolution which should be expected with the price difference, but it really isn’t much. Its also darker than the BF2, which I like quite a bit. The BF2 while flatter (not dark) produces a high range that is pleasant, it’s clearly more accurate.

the detail presentation differs a bit, and this is hard to quantify. This is an analogy that makes sense to me, so please take it for what it is. The BF2 renders detail in a film-like way, where it breaks down into grains and not pixels. I think this makes sense for people who have seen the resolution film and digital are both capable of, but how it breaks down as you start to look at details. They both break down, but in different ways.

The Modius is an excellent dac, especially for balanced at 1/3 the price of the BF2.

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #358 of 941
After a few days with the Bifrost2 and Modius, I can make a few comparisons.

the Modius has a bit less resolution which should be expected with the price difference, but it really isn’t much. Its also darker than the BF2, which I like quite a bit. The BF2 while flatter (not dark) produces a high range that is pleasant, it’s clearly more accurate.

the detail presentation differs a bit, and this is hard to quantify. This is an analogy that makes sense to me, so please take it for what it is. The BF2 renders detail in a film-like way, where it breaks down into grains and not pixels. I think this makes sense for people who have seen the resolution film and digital are both capable of, but how it breaks down as you start to look at details. They both break down, but in different ways.

The Modius is an excellent dac, especially for balanced at 1/3 the price of the BF2.
I'm definitely happy that I went with the Modius. Thanks for that comparison!

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #359 of 941
My Asgard 3 is still at Schiit central for repair.

In the meantime, I substituted my 20+ year old Creek OBH-11 (with linear wall wart) with the Modius.

Just finished Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley. Beautiful (for the 56th time). Frankly, if I didn't know I had a better amp (the Asgard 3) coming, I'd be a happy pup.

The Modius is a special DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #360 of 941
Now that I have my Aeon 2 open back, my impressions of the Modius vs the G6 are mostly the same but I can refine them a little.

The biggest difference and the one most people are going to notice (if they notice anything) is that vocals are much less in your face, G6 sounds shouty compared to the Modius.

Vocals are just pushed further away from you, some people may not like this effect, if you like the more exciting SCREAMING IN YOUR EAR kind of sound. I find this to be the most love or hate it aspect of the AKM sound.

I think vocals are less recessed than they were with the Modi however, I mentioned it before but the Modius seems like its trying to give the positive aspects of the AKM sound (airiness,openness,detail,warmth) without the drawbacks (somewhat diffuse, weakened bass impacts, slight dullness) and I would say it mostly succeeds.I did not like the Modi with the Asgard 3 personally, but i actually like the Modius with it. It got rid of enough of the negatives for me to be happy.

I still think some may prefer Sabre/Cirrus Logic based stuff though.

The other really noticeable thing for me as I mentioned in my previous post is the airy aspect, or the high treble. There is a lot of air compared to the G6! Its actually enough of a difference to me that I added a high shelf filter to cut some of the energy after 10.5k with the Aeon. The Aeon has a lot of energy there already and the modius made it extremely airy. Most headphones will benefit from this effect IMO as most headphones are lacking a lot of energy there.

Compared to the G6 I find the Modius's rendition of treble to be much smoother and more pleasant to listen to, yet paradoxically I also find it to be a bit clearer sounding. There is a feeling that the G6 is slightly hazy compared to the Modius.

The G6 has some issues with harmonic distortion in bass I think that makes bass a little punchier or impactful sounding but also more one notish. The Modius renders bass notes much clearer and accurately imo, this is also an area it is better than the Modi which I found to be a little bloomy in the bass.

All of my testing is with the Asgard 3 so I cant test out the balanced section to see how it differs. I think the Asgard/Modius is a great combo though, if your after a warm,airy experience this combo offers it in spades without taking it too far to the point of being boring.

i think Modius is easily in the top tiers of D/S dacs and the best deal in D/S atm. I wish I had a Geshelli Labs Enog 2 to compare soundwise as that is its only real AKM competition as its price point but the lack of USB on the Enog means the Modius is going to win by default for most people.

Would be interesting to see some comparisons with some of the high end Topping Dacs based on the AKM flagships, I have a feeling the Modius will match or beat them personally. Its certainly going to win in the value category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back