Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #377 of 941
They did state that down the road they're going to be transitioning everything to USB C before to long which excites me because c to c is much easier to find than c to micro or worse b and all of my sources are using c right now

I haven't tried my Modius with USB yet, Unison was very exciting, but I've been using optical since I have noise over USB.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #378 of 941
Doing some listening with a Vali 1 I just picked up. Yesterday's session used the Vali, my Modi 3, and Sennheiser HD 558s. Today's session swapped a Modius for the Modi. Music for both sessions consisted primarily of IQ's The Road of Bones, a work that's been getting a lot of play lately.

Well, with the Modius is place, I'm able to hear deeper into the music...I'm hearing much more low level detail. Better transient response and dynamics. Timbre much truer to real life. Treble response is extended, and airy, but not bright. It's hard to tell about bass response, since I listen mainly through speakers. Though bass timbre and detail seems more natural as well. Coming back to low level content, I keep hearing new and before now, unnoticed sounds and notes. Foley effects. Low level jewels just waiting to be unearthed. A fantastic job by the Modius to make the old, new again.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #379 of 941
Doing some listening with a Vali 1 I just picked up. Yesterday's session used the Vali, my Modi 3, and Sennheiser HD 558s. Today's session swapped a Modius for the Modi. Music for both sessions consisted primarily of IQ's The Road of Bones, a work that's been getting a lot of play lately.

Well, with the Modius is place, I'm able to hear deeper into the music...I'm hearing much more low level detail. Better transient response and dynamics. Timbre much truer to real life. Treble response is extended, and airy, but not bright. It's hard to tell about bass response, since I listen mainly through speakers. Though bass timbre and detail seems more natural as well. Coming back to low level content, I keep hearing new and before now, unnoticed sounds and notes. Foley effects. Low level jewels just waiting to be unearthed. A fantastic job by the Modius to make old, new again.

I’ve found Modius to have more space than Gungnir multibit, but the latter has better positioning. I’m more than pleased with Modius.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #380 of 941
Has anyone compared the mobius with the multibit Jotunheim add-on Card? I just bought the 789 and plan to use the balanced pre out from the Jotunheim into it. Will I get a benefit out of getting a Modius to pair with it?

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #381 of 941
Just to be sure, if I use balanced between the modius and 789 I should only use balanced XLR headphone cable right?
I wouldn't be able to use the SE inputs?

if you have a balance dac and balanced amp hooked up with XLR cables, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't use XLR cable with your main headphones too... obviously the cables are expensive so I know most can't do it for all headphones, but your main headphones or favorite ones should def use XLR cable too, to complete the loop in full. also the balanced port on 789 puts out way more power than the single ended

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #382 of 941
if you have a balance dac and balanced amp hooked up with XLR cables, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't use XLR cable with your main headphones too... obviously the cables are expensive so I know most can't do it for all headphones, but your main headphones or favorite ones should def use XLR cable too, to complete the loop in full. also the balanced port on 789 puts out way more power than the single ended
If the amp actually sounds different from each port this might be true. I don’t think it’s universal, and I don’t hear much difference if any at all from my 789 with se vs balanced cables

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #383 of 941
After a few days with the Bifrost2 and Modius, I can make a few comparisons.

the Modius has a bit less resolution which should be expected with the price difference, but it really isn’t much. Its also darker than the BF2, which I like quite a bit. The BF2 while flatter (not dark) produces a high range that is pleasant, it’s clearly more accurate.

the detail presentation differs a bit, and this is hard to quantify. This is an analogy that makes sense to me, so please take it for what it is. The BF2 renders detail in a film-like way, where it breaks down into grains and not pixels. I think this makes sense for people who have seen the resolution film and digital are both capable of, but how it breaks down as you start to look at details. They both break down, but in different ways.

The Modius is an excellent dac, especially for balanced at 1/3 the price of the BF2.
what about multibit warmness/smoothness in BF2?

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #386 of 941
The Modius doesn't click when sample rates change, right? (Like the Bifrost 2 does)

I surmise it has a software mute instead of physical. It makes a soft pop sound in my headphone when switching sources or sample rate.

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #388 of 941
I'm in the market for a budget dac,can get a mint used Bifrost 4490 or a new Modius for basically the same price.Any thoughts which direction I should go??A new Modi multibit is also under consideration for $50 more?

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #389 of 941
I'm in the market for a budget dac,can get a mint used Bifrost 4490 or a new Modius for basically the same price.Any thoughts which direction I should go??A new Modi multibit is also under consideration for $50 more?
The main benefit of Modius is the balanced output. Its single-ended output is inferior to Modi MB IMO. As for Bifrost 4490, I have owned that thing for a year, and it's really not that impressive after the release of Modi MB. In short, if you have a balanced amp, go for Modius. Go with Modi MB for single-ended.

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #390 of 941
The main benefit of Modius is the balanced output. Its single-ended output is inferior to Modi MB IMO. As for Bifrost 4490, I have owned that thing for a year, and it's really not that impressive after the release of Modi MB. In short, if you have a balanced amp, go for Modius. Go with Modi MB for single-ended.
I'm using a Lyr 3 for an amp(single-ended),so the Modi MB looks to be your recommendation.Thanks,will keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back