Schiit modi3 or multibit dac?
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ultramabi

Head-Fier
Hey guys you may have already noticed the modi3 has been released from schiit. I am wondering if the multibit is worth the extra money from the modi3. Anybody had try using both to compare? I am looking for a good dac to pair with a magni3. Should I get the modi multibit or the modi3?

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Another member wrote up a nice little review comparing the two in another thread:

Here's my short 'n sweet Modi 3 review - -

Well, I've had the Modi 3 turned on and playing music continuously for the past few days and I think I have a pretty good handle on its sound. I evaluated it using mainly CDs, but I also used some Hi-Res and 320AAC files.

First, it runs cool as a cucumber, which is nice since many of Schiit's products run nearly burn-your-fingers hot. And everything works as advertised. No problems switching between inputs, although it does sometimes make a moderately loud 'pop' sound when switching between different resolutions, but this is a known issue with Schiit DACs. I also tried using it with my iPhone 8 and a Lightning-USB 3 Camera Adapter, and when the Modi 3's power supply was plugged into its power-only Micro USB input, it received the iPhone's signal and worked without any problems. And when I plugged in a Lightning cable (which was connected to a 5W AC charger) into the Camera Adapter, it allowed the iPhone to charge while playing music.

As for the sound, there really is a lot to like. When listening to it on its own, nothing seems out of place. Everything sounds very well balanced and there are no glaring additions or omissions going on. It has plenty of tangible resolution and just sounds really damn good. It's only when you directly compare it to a higher quality DAC, that its minor shortcomings become more noticeable. When compared to the Modi MB, it becomes obvious that it is not as resolving as it. The Modi MB is across-the-board more detailed sounding and has a more incisive sound signature than the Modi 3, and the better the recording, the better the Modi MB sounds when directly compared to the Modi 3. But the double-edge of the Modi MB (or any highly resolving DAC) is that when it is paired with an already incisive sounding amp and/or headphone, it can become too much of a good thing, and tip the overall SQ of the system towards an unenjoyable signature.

What I really like most about the Modi 3 is that it has enough audible resolution to be very satisfying, while not having so much resolution that it might push your system over the edge into detail overload. It's this 'just right' amount of resolution that makes the Modi 3 an excellent choice for someone who is just getting started. Also, I found that it pairs very well with the Magni 3 and the two have a real synergy that seems to amplify their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses. And for $200, this has to be the best bang-for-the-buck DAC/Amp combo on the planet right now!

So for $99 bucks, you get a genuine 'Made in the USA' DAC that offers switchable USB, Coax and Optical inputs, plays nice with an iPhone, and oh yeah, sounds great (and not just 'for the money'). I think that's about as good as it gets for the $$, folks! :L3000:

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for that, it's still a coin toss which option to go for in my head at the moment but that review definitely helps. I'd love it if I could hear them both side before making a decision.

I'm pretty sure they will both blow my IQAudio DAC away.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for that, it's still a coin toss which option to go for in my head at the moment but that review definitely helps. I'd love it if I could hear them both side before making a decision.

I'm pretty sure they will both blow my IQAudio DAC away.
You can. Buy them both and return the one you like less. Then you will never wonder "what if"...

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 14
I've read (on a site that shall not be named) that the ak 4490 (modi 3) has greater clarity and "headspace", at the sacrifice of a more "digital" sound compared to the modi multibit (mimby).

I don't have a modi 3, but I do have a ha2se that uses a sabre 9028 and a modi multibit. I've tried both with the lyr 3, and here's my subjective opinions:
  • ha2se feels more "clean," with more treble details (e.g. cymbals sound more detailed in "Fragments of Time" by daft punk)
  • mimby has a more "powerful, spacious" sound with more "depth". mimby feels more warm.

Overall, I enjoy the mimby greatly. I end up valuing that powerful sound more so than the cleaners sound of the ha2se, and I feel it is worth $250.

I agree with @earChasm though, and if it's in your means buy both, a/b, and return the one you like less. Keep in mind the mimby doesn't include a usb cable, so if you don't have one it'll cost you a bit extra for that option.

Another thing to consider: I've found the mimby has a slight audible hum from its USB 3 inport (and I've read that the modi 3 has this too) - if you have sensitive headphones, you might consider getting a ($179) Eitr for a truly clean sound. This Schiit adds up...

EDIT: also remember that schiit only allows returns for three orders a year. if you think you'll be wanting to "try out" lots of schiit gear in the future, keep this in mind.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 14
I've read (on a site that shall not be named) that the ak 4490 (modi 3) has greater clarity and "headspace", at the sacrifice of a more "digital" sound compared to the modi multibit (mimby).

I don't have a modi 3, but I do have a ha2se that uses a sabre 9028 and a modi multibit. I've tried both with the lyr 3, and here's my subjective opinions:
  • ha2se feels more "clean," with more treble details (e.g. cymbals sound more detailed in "Fragments of Time" by daft punk)
  • mimby has a more "powerful, spacious" sound with more "depth". mimby feels more warm.

Overall, I enjoy the mimby greatly. I end up valuing that powerful sound more so than the cleaners sound of the ha2se, and I feel it is worth $250.

I agree with @earChasm though, and if it's in your means buy both, a/b, and return the one you like less. Keep in mind the mimby doesn't include a usb cable, so if you don't have one it'll cost you a bit extra for that option.

Another thing to consider: I've found the mimby has a slight audible hum from its USB 3 inport (and I've read that the modi 3 has this too) - if you have sensitive headphones, you might consider getting a ($179) Eitr for a truly clean sound. This Schiit adds up...

EDIT: also remember that schiit only allows returns for three orders a year. if you think you'll be wanting to "try out" lots of schiit gear in the future, keep this in mind.

Thank you for the information! I have another question though if you guys by any chance know. What is the definition of a delta-sigma dac? I'm wondering if I should just buy the mimby and buy a fiio e30/k3 if it were to come out soon. Is the e30/k3 also a delta-sigma dac like the modi3? Here is the thread to the fiio amp/dac.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-desktop-usb-dac-amp-fiio-k3-e30-384k-32b-dsd-dop-typec.883341/

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 14
I would worry more if it sounded better than measures better as that is the end result you are looking for. If you were going to do that then save a bit longer and $130 more or so and go Bifrost it has the Gen 5 usb built in and one less power cord to plug in and cable to use.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 14
I would worry more if it sounded better than measures better as that is the end result you are looking for. If you were going to do that then save a bit longer and $130 more or so and go Bifrost it has the Gen 5 usb built in and one less power cord to plug in and cable to use.

Thanks for the help but do you by any chance know if the DAC on the fiio e30/k3 is a Delta-Sigma dac? Sorry kinda new to amps and dacs. I know there are R2R and Delta-sigmas. I'm wondering if the k3 fits into these categories.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 14
Pretty sure delta sigma but can’t say for sure .

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Oh, also does anyone know when the modi3 is paired with the Eitr, would it measure better than the modi multibit or vice versa?

I’ve read that, measurement-wise, the Eitr decreases the noise floor on the modi 3 and multibit by around 10db (-125db -> -135db). The difference is audible to me at least, with greater instrument separation and better depth with the mimby.

Thanks for the help but do you by any chance know if the DAC on the fiio e30/k3 is a Delta-Sigma dac? Sorry kinda new to amps and dacs. I know there are R2R and Delta-sigmas. I'm wondering if the k3 fits into these categories.

According to the head-fi FiiO e30/k3 thread, the dac uses a ak 4452, which is a delta-sigma. In general, sabre (e.g sabre 9028) and AK dacs (e.g. ak 4452, ak 4490 in the modi 3) are delta-sigma.

Again, don't discount delta sigma! There's an awesome article I read that compares delta sigma and multibit technology - I highly recommend you check it out if you're curious to learn the technical differences. the TL;DR: with modern filtering techniques, delta sigma can match/exceed multibit performance, but ultimately it's _up to you_ to determine which sounds best _to you_.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 14
I’ve read that, measurement-wise, the Eitr decreases the noise floor on the modi 3 and multibit by around 10db (-125db -> -135db). The difference is audible to me at least, with greater instrument separation and better depth with the mimby.

According to the head-fi FiiO e30/k3 thread, the dac uses a ak 4452, which is a delta-sigma. In general, sabre (e.g sabre 9028) and AK dacs (e.g. ak 4452, ak 4490 in the modi 3) are delta-sigma.

Again, don't discount delta sigma! There's an awesome article I read that compares delta sigma and multibit technology - I highly recommend you check it out if you're curious to learn the technical differences. the TL;DR: with modern filtering techniques, delta sigma can match/exceed multibit performance, but ultimately it's _up to you_ to determine which sounds best _to you_.

Ty again! This was very helpful.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 14
Just a quick note, this also does depend on the amplifier and headphone that you own.
I personally never really experienced a big difference within Schiit products, but I like the Bitfrost Multibit (Gen 5) for it's form factor and the driver support.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back