Schiit Modi USB DAC
Oct 22, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #826 of 870
  Hey guys, 2 quick questions:

1) The usb port is not only the powersource but also the input for the ''music data'' ?
2) Is it possible to connect directly headphones to the modi using y-rca cable with female jack or do i need an amp? (Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear)

Im just planning to upgrade my Realtek 892 Onboard with the Modi, (headphone use), but i dont want to buy an amp at the moment.

1) The Non-Uber version of Modi, it's USB is both the power input (gets power from the source, phone, PC) as well as the input for the digital data.
2) The Modi is not an Amp, there's no getting around that. It has a line output.

The Uber and Multibit versions have power supplies of their own.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #827 of 870
1) The Non-Uber version of Modi, it's USB is both the power input (gets power from the source, phone, PC) as well as the input for the digital data.
2) The Modi is not an Amp, there's no getting around that. It has a line output.

The Uber and Multibit versions have power supplies of their own.

Thank you for your reply. English is no my native language so don't wonder :).

You mean it would be possible to connect headphones (with an adapter cable like this https://www.thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x360/pics/prod/287265.jpg ) because a line out is the source for the headphones (like onboard audio or a mobile phone there are line outs too) but it could be that im hearing nothing or to quiet?

Just for understanding, how does it come that e.g. the line out of a mobile or pc are working even there is no amp too?

Thank u so much.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #829 of 870
I've had it with this Schiit!
I purchased a Schiit Modi from a fellow head-fi'er.
I can't get my Macbook Pro or my MacPro at work to recognize this piece of Schiit.
The seller included a usb cable but it doesn't work.
I went to office depot and purchased a few 2.0USB cables and it still doesn't work.
Which USB cable are you guys using to get this Schiit to work?

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #830 of 870
Quote:
You mean it would be possible to connect headphones (with an adapter cable like this https://www.thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x360/pics/prod/287265.jpg ) 

No, he actually meant the exact opposite - you can not, or must not - use the Modi to connect directly to a headphone with that.

It's possible in the same sense that you can put a scooter's engine on a pick up truck chassis and run at 1kph, or mount an engine directly to the driveshaft without a transmission to control it, but if you can imagine the problems with either, you'll basically have the same issues when connecting a headphone to the line output.

...because a line out is the source for the headphones (like onboard audio or a mobile phone there are line outs too) but it could be that im hearing nothing or to quiet?

Just for understanding, how does it come that e.g. the line out of a mobile or pc are working even there is no amp too?

That kind of device is different. For a dedicated sound card it would typically have the DAC chip, the output stage chips for the DAC going to its own headphone amplifier chip. Some onboard audio follows the same architecture, as well as some rare mobile phones with audio circuits designed to mimic CDPs and DAPs.

Other circuits like most mobile phones and tablets use an integrated audio chip which has the DAC and amplifier output stage in it. This looks like an efficient space saving design until you realize that the amp isn't running off higher voltage rails nor does it have its own power capacitors. Think of this as something like using an AMD APU, which has the CPU and GPU chip in the same die, but they'd have to share the RAM and powerline from the PSU to the motherboard (in other words, you can't just mate a Vega and Ryzen into a single die).

While you don't need a heck of a lot of power for some headphones or most earphones/IEMs, the thing is, having something that resembles an output stage more is still better. Going back to the video game analogy, it's like running an MMORPG with an AMD APU, vs trying to run a PC-based MMORPG on a current smartphone (maybe 10yrs from now you can play WoW smoothly on a phone).

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #832 of 870
How are you guys connecting the Schiit Modi to your Mac and getting it to work?

I haven't been able to use my Schiit Modi which I purchased over a year ago. This is absolutely ******** frustrating to say the least.

I am trying to connect my Schiit Modi to my MacBook Pro running El Captian v.10.11.6 using the Amazon basic USB 2.0 a-b 2m cable (which was recommended to me from Nick at Schiit) and the DAC does not show up.
I have tried other USB cables which I have purchased from Office Depot and still no luck.

I have also tried connecting the DAC to my 2016 MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro at work.
What..?!?!?!?! This Schiit has me ******* mad! Seriously. No pun intended. 
mad.gif

My 2016 MacBook Pro is running Sierra v.10.12.3 and I'm not sure what OS Version my Mac Pro at work is running. Which I'll check on Monday. I have the latest Mac Pro fully spec'd.

My Schiit Modi's power light turns on when I plug it in, but no devices show up in my Midi Audio Devices dialogue box.
Please help!

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #833 of 870

I have used Modi2 Uber successfully with my MacBook Pro 2015, no problems. This was with El Capitan.

Since your Modi doesn't work with any of the three computers you have tried it's possible the the Modi itself is faulty. Have you tried it with a Windows PC or laptop?

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #834 of 870
People are having trouble with the Modi on Windows 10 too.  I ended up giving up on mine and getting a ME2.  

Check the top section for an explanation of the problem: http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #835 of 870
@pahhhoul
I'd suggest you get in touch with Schiit about your issue.  My experience with them when I had problems was excellent. If you have access to a powered USB hub you could try that, but that's all I can think of.  I have a Mac Mini running El Capitan and it recognizes my Modi fine. I use a garden variety USB cable, nothing fancy.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #836 of 870

People are having trouble with the Modi on Windows 10 too.  I ended up giving up on mine and getting a ME2.  

Check the top section for an explanation of the problem: http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

@pahhhoul
I'd suggest you get in touch with Schiit about your issue.  My experience with them when I had problems was excellent. If you have access to a powered USB hub you could try that, but that's all I can think of.  I have a Mac Mini running El Capitan and it recognizes my Modi fine. I use a garden variety USB cable, nothing fancy.

pahhhoul just wanted to copy/tag you and ensure you see the link in WhiteKnite's post, and D Smith's suggestion of an externally powered USB hub which is #3 on that Schiit list. This is a common problem, and it's not unique to the Schiit product. 

May 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #839 of 870
If I'm not mistaken all Modi 2 Uber use ths AKM AK4490.

They switched from the AK4396 to the AK4490 last spring or summer. You might be able to e-mail Schiit with the serial number, but otherwise I don't think there is a way of knowing without opening it up (and potentially voiding your warranty).

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #840 of 870
I've had both a Modi 1 and Modi 2 fail in the exact same way. When the original Modi failed, it was out of warranty and I considered it a Fluke and replaced it with the Modi 2. However, this time my Modi 2 was in warranty, but Schiit hasn't responded to me in 2 weeks. I've tried both their webform and direct emails. Their website mentions that you should prefer email to phone, and I'm considering leaving a message on their answering machine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back