Schiit Modi USB DAC
May 22, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #766 of 870
I'd like to make a small request: I have a Modi2U with 120V wall-wart which I have used up until now, with a step-down converter from 230V. Today the converter unit went bust, kinda, so i'm thinking of trying an alternate AC adapter which I have. It's rated at 18VAC output, which is pretty close, but measuring at 21VAC from my DMM. Can someone please do me a favor and measure how much the standard wall-wart output is?

It will take a 16vac it says so in the back of the modi. The stock wallwart should measure close to 16vac.

Also for those who are interested, I have a bifrost multibit for sale.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #768 of 870
Just got the message that my Modi 2U got shipped this morning. It will replace the Audioengine D1 which I currently use a s a DAC to feed into my Vali 2. The AE D1 will then be moved to my office to run as a combined DAC/AMP again.

If anyone is interested I can do a quick comparison Modi 2U vs D1 before I move it out.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #769 of 870
If anyone is interested I can do a quick comparison Modi 2U vs D1 before I move it out.

That would be very interesting, the D1 was one of the DAC/AMPs I was looking towards before deciding on the Magni/Modi combo.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #770 of 870
That would be very interesting, the D1 was one of the DAC/AMPs I was looking towards before deciding on the Magni/Modi combo.

I received my Modi 2U this morning  .... FedEx dropped it off at 7:30 am

I will let it run for a few days before doing the comparison though.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #771 of 870
Has anyone else had trouble with Schiit Modi (first version)? Mine was so sensitive that it would mute every time I would walk past it too close. It also picked up a lot of noise when other appliances were turned on or off.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #772 of 870
  Has anyone else had trouble with Schiit Modi (first version)? Mine was so sensitive that it would mute every time I would walk past it too close. It also picked up a lot of noise when other appliances were turned on or off.

I had the muting thing happen once or twice when someone else would walk by at work. But that was literally only a time or two in the couple years I had it, so not with any real frequency.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #774 of 870
  For you guys that just received a Modi 2 uber recently, you're in for a surprise!

They quietly upgraded the dac chip to the AKM 4490 and believe me it is a step up.

any idea how to find out whats in there? I received mine just a few days ago.

Would be interesting if its the old batch or a new one ...

PHILIP

PS: Just seen its now changed on the webpage as well: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

"D/A Conversion IC: AK4396 (Modi 2), AK4490 (Modi 2 Uber)"

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #775 of 870

PHILIP

PS: Just seen its now changed on the webpage as well: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

My sources tell me that it has been in production for the last month, so my best guess is you got the good stuff! 
cool.gif

You can always open it up and look, but might void the warranty not sure.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #776 of 870
Nick from Schiit also confirmed that it should be a new 4490 unit what I received (serial 7796)

NICE!

So we now have kind of a Modi 2.5 Uber ... too bad it's not marked better if it's such a big step up.

*goes back to listen to some music*

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #777 of 870
  For you guys that just received a Modi 2 uber recently, you're in for a surprise!

They quietly upgraded the dac chip to the AKM 4490 and believe me it is a step up.

Was looking forward to this one...

I recall reports from people who've heard both that Schiit's Bifrost AKM4490 soundly beats Astell&Kern's... well, any of them, let's say AK320. Given the comical A&K pricing scheme, this is a slap in the face.

Anyone has an idea if Modi 2 Uber with AKM4490 can hold its own against A&K's premium products?

PS As an aside, I find it pretty hilarious how Schiit takes one of the premium DS off-the-shelf chips residing in products costing more than an Yggdrasil and slaps it into their entry level 150 bucks gizmo...

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #778 of 870

PHILIP

This is quite interesting. I would love to know how the old Modi 2 Uber with AK4396 compares with the new one (AK4490). Perhaps someone from Schiit can explain the advantages and the reasons for this silent upgrade.

I got the Modi 2U last year and was debating whether to go for it or Bifrost 4490. Now I wish I had waited. Kind of sucks that it is not possible to upgrade to the new chip.
Another comparison that would be really interesting is between the Bifrost and the new Modi 2U considering they have the same DAC chip.

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #779 of 870

PHILIP

This is quite interesting. I would love to know how the old Modi 2 Uber with AK4396 compares with the new one (AK4490). Perhaps someone from Schiit can explain the advantages and the reasons for this silent upgrade.

I got the Modi 2U last year and was debating whether to go for it or Bifrost 4490. Now I wish I had waited. Kind of sucks that it is not possible to upgrade to the new chip.
Another comparison that would be really interesting is between the Bifrost and the new Modi 2U considering they have the same DAC chip.

Me too although I have a Modi 2 (non-uber) AK4396.  Now we have a Modi 2U and Bitfrost with 4490s.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #780 of 870
  <snip>

PS As an aside, I find it pretty hilarious how Schiit takes one of the premium DS off-the-shelf chips residing in products costing more than an Yggdrasil and slaps it into their entry level 150 bucks gizmo...

When you sell products at a hun and a half bucks, your quantities are thousands more than products at 30 times the price.  This lets you grind down the price to a relatively small percentage of your competitors' price.

<snip>

Kind of sucks that it is not possible to upgrade to the new chip.

Upgradable products cost considerably more than those which are not.  Bifrost and above clients were offered 4490 upgrades months ago.  The multi-pcb construction requires much more space which is a much higher priced chassis, much higher labor, and a vastly superior power supply is required to accommodate a wide variety of anticipated (or sometimes not) new circuitry.  That is precisely why a BiFrost is 2.67X the price of a M2Uber.  The superior power supply and geometry is why it sounds better than its non-upgradable little siblings.  At $100-$150 DAC price levels, non-upgradable is the best we can do.  Our competition, however, seems to offer non-upgradable DACs at many times higher prices than we do.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back