Schiit Modi USB DAC
May 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #751 of 870
Hey everyone,
I am currently searching for a DAC as kind of a hub to feed my PC, my Bluray Player and my TV into my fairly old stereo chain [NAD 7220pe and Linn ls 150 helix] because I think that this should be the best way to connect all the components and boost the sound from the digital files from my PC.
I was thinking of buying the modi 2 Uber because it pretty much hast all the connectivity I need. Now I just want to know what people say about it and if there are better options at that price point.
I would like for the DAC to deliver a flat/unchanged/clean (whatever the terminology is, I'm new to this
biggrin.gif
) sound as possible, because I feel, that if the sound should be tweaked then by the way more expensive receiver/amp. I feel that that way I can replace the receiver/amp/speakers later and not run into too many problems because the DAC itself has a unique sound signature.
Would I need to step up in price (higher model from schiit or completely different device) to achieve that goal?
Or is my theory flawed?
Please point out everything you think/feel/whatever I might have missed.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Modi 2 Uber is probably the least expensive product for this that I'd recommend, with the disclaimer that I haven't tried any FiiO stuff, so that might also be a way to go.

As far as different sound signatures; all of Schiit's DACs measure very very close to neutral. Whether they sound different is up to your own ears (personally I quite like what I've heard of their multibit line), but from a high level overview, they all deliver a very neutral signal that you can then tailor to your taste with your amp and transducer selection.

Please note, I'm being very "maybe" and "might" and "up to your own ears" as I'd hate for this to devolve into yet another discussion on whether DACs sound different. Bottom line is, objectively all Schiit DACs measure basically neutral when it comes to frequency response. Whether you can hear the differences from the other specs is between you and your ears :)

May 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #752 of 870
  Ran into a strange issue with my modi2 today. While it works fine with PC, when I plug into to iMac (late 2015) it won't even recognize the device. The power led is on, but it won't show up in the sound menu or Audio midi devices. I tried using a powered USB2 hub, and that didn't resolve the problem, and also I tried using a different USB cable. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

That's precisely what happened to me with my Modi 1. Contact Schiit if it's still under warranty.

May 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #753 of 870
Contact Schiit, even if it is not under warranty.
They truly do care about their products and their customers, both used and new. I have had excellent service from them regardless.

May 6, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #754 of 870
You guys were right, I contacted customer service and they helped me do a little more troubleshooting and we got the process started for repair. I was really impressed with how quickly they responded to my emails. Even up until 9PM PST, wow.

May 8, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #756 of 870
Hi all,
I need some information about modi(gen 1), since im thinking about buying it.

So, there are rca input and usb in the back of it. I wonder if the USB is also an input,or just to power up the modi?

May 18, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #761 of 870
I'd like to make a small request: I have a Modi2U with 120V wall-wart which I have used up until now, with a step-down converter from 230V. Today the converter unit went bust, kinda, so i'm thinking of trying an alternate AC adapter which I have. It's rated at 18VAC output, which is pretty close, but measuring at 21VAC from my DMM. Can someone please do me a favor and measure how much the standard wall-wart output is?

May 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #762 of 870
That's a good features in such price.
Going to try one before buying it
biggrin.gif

No, I meant a speaker amplifier would have speaker binding posts on the back. The Modi doesn't. Given it has a USB input and there isn't a headphone output either then I can't imagine why the RCA won't be seen as an output. Even if you don't know yet you can look at complete specs on their homepage.

May 19, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #763 of 870
Got my modi 2 back from repair today and it works perfectly now. Schitt's customer service was really pleasant. Everything was resolved in about week (including shipping time there and back).

May 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #765 of 870
Hello guys, I have something to share. For who cannot install firmware and make the Modi 2 U recognized on computer: Just check if the dac is connecting to an USB 3.0 port. If yes, unplug it and connect to an USB 2.0 and everything works smoothly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back