Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jan 13, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #736 of 870
I fear my Modi is dead..
Whenever i connect it to my computer windows reports USB error 43.
I have tried all usb 2 and usb 3 ports.
2 different brands of external powerd usb hubs.
2 different cables.
And i still get the error :S
Do i send it back to the store or is there anything else i can try?

EDIT: I forgot to mention something wierd. When i try and connect the modi to my powerd usb 2 hub.
The hub gets disabled in windows device manager. And all other devices on it stop functioning...
I have to reset the hub each time this happens.

Did you ever get this figured out? My Modi just started doing the same thing recently.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #737 of 870
I returned it to the store 4 months ago.
Got a replacement Modi 2 from them last weekend.
Will never know what happend to the original modi unit.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #739 of 870
Hello, I've had my Modi for just over 2 years and it's suddenly not getting recognized after every boot of my PC. The problem started a few months ago, but now seems to happen about 50% of the time I start my computer. If I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, that usually fixes it. Sometimes though I have to restart my computer as well before it gets recognized. I've tried another brand new USB cable with the same result. I thought maybe it was my USB ports going bad, so I moved it from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port on a completely different USB chipset and still the same problem. My other USB devices are all still operating fine. 

So the issue is isolated to the DAC itself. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #740 of 870
Hello, I've had my Modi for just over 2 years and it's suddenly not getting recognized after every boot of my PC. The problem started a few months ago, but now seems to happen about 50% of the time I start my computer. If I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, that usually fixes it. Sometimes though I have to restart my computer as well before it gets recognized. I've tried another brand new USB cable with the same result. I thought maybe it was my USB ports going bad, so I moved it from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port on a completely different USB chipset and still the same problem. My other USB devices are all still operating fine. 

So the issue is isolated to the DAC itself. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks.

Yes i had this problem for a long time before the dac stopped working all together.
I returned mine to were i bought it and got it replaced with the modi 2.
I have not had ANY problems with the new one.
Btw, i had my modi 1 running off a powered usb hub. Made no difference.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #742 of 870
Which DAC chip and USB receiver chip does this unit have?
Someone mentioned ODAC as being invalidated by Schiit Modi, but I honestly doubt this unit is even in the same category. ODAC competes with $1500 Benchmark DAC1. Does Modi?..

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #743 of 870
  Which DAC chip and USB receiver chip does this unit have?
Someone mentioned ODAC as being invalidated by Schiit Modi, but I honestly doubt this unit is even in the same category. ODAC competes with $1500 Benchmark DAC1. Does Modi?..

It's all on their website:

Input Receiver: 

USB: C-Media CM6631A
SPDIF: AKM 4113

D/A Conversion IC: AKM4396
Analog Summing, Active Filtering: Based on AD8616 with precision thin-film resistors and film capacitors.
Output: RCA (single-ended)
Output Impedance: 75 ohms
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB
Maximum Output: 1.5V RMS
THD: <0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at max output
IMD: <0.003%, CCIF, at max output
S/N: >104dB, referenced to 1.5VRMS, unweighted
Crosstalk: -80dB, 20-20kHz

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #744 of 870

It's all on their website

I've read the site but didn't find my way to the specs, thanks. Same chip as my EMU 0404 USB then. Not too bad.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #746 of 870

Chips used is only a very small part of DAC sound and/or specs. An important part, yes, but in no way the only defining factor.

The chip sets the upper boundary. The lower boundary, of course, has no limit.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #747 of 870

The chip sets the upper boundary. The lower boundary, of course, has no limit.

Well yes, but even with that said there's no way to know if what you like or dislike about your EMU (or any other equipment) is due to the chip or any of the surrounding implementation.

That's all I was trying to say; it sounds like we agree :)

May 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #749 of 870
Hey everyone,
I am currently searching for a DAC as kind of a hub to feed my PC, my Bluray Player and my TV into my fairly old stereo chain [NAD 7220pe and Linn ls 150 helix] because I think that this should be the best way to connect all the components and boost the sound from the digital files from my PC.
I was thinking of buying the modi 2 Uber because it pretty much hast all the connectivity I need. Now I just want to know what people say about it and if there are better options at that price point.
I would like for the DAC to deliver a flat/unchanged/clean (whatever the terminology is, I'm new to this :D ) sound as possible, because I feel, that if the sound should be tweaked then by the way more expensive receiver/amp. I feel that that way I can replace the receiver/amp/speakers later and not run into too many problems because the DAC itself has a unique sound signature.
Would I need to step up in price (higher model from schiit or completely different device) to achieve that goal?
Or is my theory flawed?
Please point out everything you think/feel/whatever I might have missed.
Thanks in advance
Andy

May 5, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #750 of 870
Ran into a strange issue with my modi2 today. While it works fine with PC, when I plug into to iMac (late 2015) it won't even recognize the device. The power led is on, but it won't show up in the sound menu or Audio midi devices. I tried using a powered USB2 hub, and that didn't resolve the problem, and also I tried using a different USB cable. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back