Schiit Modi USB DAC
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #391 of 870
The initial problematic cable that I used was just a random no name brand kind of thing that I have lying around the house. Obviously, it didn't work well...

The subsequent cable that I used is taken from my rather old Canon flatbed scanner. It was a thick, sturdy cable with good shielding, and as I was saying, had the ferrite beads at either end to passively filter out some of the electrical noise.

I experienced micro-stutter and drop-outs where windows would just randomly stop recognizing my Modi. I was using a 3ft old USB A cable that I had, so I replaced it with the short PYST USB A cable from Schiit and I haven't had a problem since.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #392 of 870
you should try pangea-usb-pc cable there only $29 . its got 24 gauge solid copper with 4% silver plating so you know your going to get full power to your dac. even if you don't think your going to hear any difference with a good usb cable you know your dac won't be starving for power.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #393 of 870
Well, after 3 different usb cables, a powered usb hub, and 2 different modis, I have finally resolved the issue with my audio dropping out.

If you have installed the USB 3.0 Extensible Drivers from Intel, go ahead and uninstall them. I'm not particularly sure as to why it causes the audio to drop out, but this will helped me fix 2 weeks of frustration, just from uninstalling these useless drivers.

Glad to say that I am no finally satisfied with my M&M stack.

The only strange thing is that it affects osu!... causes the game to glitch in the very beginning or end.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #394 of 870
  you should try pangea-usb-pc cable there only $29 . its got 24 gauge solid copper with 4% silver plating so you know your going to get full power to your dac. even if you don't think your going to hear any difference with a good usb cable you know your dac won't be starving for power.

30% in cables for a DAC, that's steep. I think I can budget about $15 for a nice USB cable with angled adapters at the most. In another setup I could probably use a $5 USB cable. I noticed that HRT sent me a Monoprice USB cable with the $500 Music Streamer HD, now that is a NICE USB cable.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #395 of 870

30% in cables for a DAC, that's steep. I think I can budget about $15 for a nice USB cable with angled adapters at the most. In another setup I could probably use a $5 USB cable. I noticed that HRT sent me a Monoprice USB cable with the $500 Music Streamer HD, now that is a NICE USB cable.

Bingo, get another Monoprice USB cable.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #397 of 870
Feb 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #398 of 870
  I experienced the same issue on Windows 8.1 (Soundcloud, Youtube, Winamp). Try switching the USB ports around and the USB cable if possible (I was using a printer USB cable, but it shouldn't matter as long as it's USB 2.0 rated). Has nothing to do with the restricted LAN (source: IT guy).

It's a bit late, but I've found this to be my Exact problem. The computer semi-freezes randomly when uusing Youtube, Winamp or some games when the Modi is plugged in. My cable is Usb2.0 rated and I've tried all of the USB ports on the desktop (Windows 8 based). It seems like it's not happening on my Macbook Air. 

Any solution to this? The fact that it doesn't happen on the Air makes me want to rule out a USB-cable or Modi-sided problem.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #399 of 870
  It's a bit late, but I've found this to be my Exact problem. The computer semi-freezes randomly when uusing Youtube, Winamp or some games when the Modi is plugged in. My cable is Usb2.0 rated and I've tried all of the USB ports on the desktop (Windows 8 based). It seems like it's not happening on my Macbook Air. 

Any solution to this? The fact that it doesn't happen on the Air makes me want to rule out a USB-cable or Modi-sided problem.

Don't worry, you can rule out USB cable or device issues. 

It's a Windows driver issue, happy hunting.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #402 of 870
  Because nobody replied I can now confirm that the Modi works with Linux (Ubuntu 13.10) by just plugging and selecting it as output source.

That is really odd because I can't get it to work with Ubuntu 12.4. Pulseaudio just goes crazy and locks up my whole computer. Maybe I will try to upgrade to 13.10 this weekend and see if that helps.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #403 of 870
I had a problem with the modi dropping for a sec every so often.  I can see it disappear and reappear under playback devices.   The problem was that I bundled the usb cord along with cords from my keyboard and mouse and ziptied them together.  separating them solved the problem.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #404 of 870
^^ Wow... I gotta say I'm surprised to see that little bit of interference being the culprit... But it's great that you found what the problem was.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #405 of 870
All it takes is corrupted signal and that is what you get. We had a monitor at work which had a parallel run with a power cable for the VGA cable and it had some terrible interference, since it was an analog signal it showed up as distortion rather than dropout though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back