Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #362 of 870
Your choice may be a great alternative also. I just posted a suggestion that worked great for me. I also tried an Audio Quest Emerald USB cable which didn't sound as good as a .5m generic USB cable I was using at the time.

It can't hurt to try if you have the ability to audition before you buy or if the retailer allows for full refund on returns on an open box.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #364 of 870
I agree! Especially for a $100 DAC (though it outperforms it's price point). I just thought I'd give it a shot and It didn't work with the Audioquest, but it did with the Pangea.  The Audioquest I got through a local retailer with a 30 day money back guarantee and the Pangea through Amazon, and I'm a prime member with them.  And yes it's pretty and sounds pretty too!

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #366 of 870
It is, I just picked mine up right from the warehouse a couple days ago. I'm only using Sennheiser HD-280 Pros with the modi and magni and it sounds great. I'm just trying to figure out why the audio playback keeps freezing. I think it might be my cable or it might not be getting enough power, but I keep having to disable and enable it or switch default playback devices back and forth to get it to work. Anyone know what might be causing this? 

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #367 of 870
There are a few things you can try. I would try a different cable for sure. You should also disable your onboard sound and any other audio devices you have on your computer via device manager. since the Modi is a async dac, you should also set the  buffer size on the player your using as low as possible without clicks or pops. On my music streamer II and JRiver WASPI out I have mine set to 25ms. You can also try a self powered usb hub. In my system it made a considerable improvement in sound quality but it also may solve your issue as well. I would try the other options first unless you already have a powered hub. If your using a windows based machine I would also suggest you follow this guide to optimize your PC for audio playback:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-7/

Hope this helps!

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #368 of 870
Has anyone gotten their Modi to work with a Microsoft Surface Pro (or SP2) without needing a powered USB hub?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the last 25 pages...

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #369 of 870
  Has anyone gotten their Modi to work with a Microsoft Surface Pro (or SP2) without needing a powered USB hub?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the last 25 pages...

I don't think I've seen anyone try it with the Surface Pro (at least no one has posted about it)...are you having trouble getting it to work, or are you preemptively asking?

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #370 of 870
I don't think I've seen anyone try it with the Surface Pro (at least no one has posted about it)...are you having trouble getting it to work, or are you preemptively asking?

Trouble getting it to work. I've had the Modi for my regular PC setup, and have the SP2, so figured I'd try and combine the two. But the USB port doesn't seem to want to sufficiently power it (it enables and disables). But works great if I use a powered hub.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #371 of 870
Trouble getting it to work. I've had the Modi for my regular PC setup, and have the SP2, so figured I'd try and combine the two. But the USB port doesn't seem to want to sufficiently power it (it enables and disables). But works great if I use a powered hub.

Well, sounds like you're the first then.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #372 of 870

Sounds like you have your answer. Most OTG type USB ports really can't power much.

I couldn't even convince my iPad or iPhone to use a CCK to read a thumb drive.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #373 of 870
So I just got my modi. I noticed that there were often what I would call "microstutters," Where the audio would cut for about maybe... 1/4 of a second and that would be it. I went into my speaker properties and changed the format to 24/96 which helped reduce it since it happened quite frequently and that seemed to work to an extent, I also unchecked all exclusive mode.

As far as my f2k playback goes, it's been going flawless... for now... So last night I assumed that the issue had been fixed.

But today I was playing some competitive gaming and the audio did that little microstutter in game, again for 1/4 of a second. I noticed it right away since I was too paranoid about it happening again, which unfortunately it did.

I am plugged in via usb 2.0 cable but into a usb 3.0 port in the back of my motherboard. My motherboard only has 3.0 plugs and only the front panel connectors on my case have 2.0 ports but I would like to avoid using them.

Would this be an issue with the cable or the modi itself? I am still testing it out with a continuous playback of music and videos through MPC-HC in order to see if it does stutter, the DPC Latency checker might pick up on something.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #374 of 870
So I just got my modi. I noticed that there were often what I would call "microstutters," Where the audio would cut for about maybe... 1/4 of a second and that would be it. I went into my speaker properties and changed the format to 24/96 which helped reduced it since it happened quite frequently and that seemed to work to an extent, I also unchecked all exclusive mode.

As far as my f2k playback goes, it's been going flawless... for now... So last night I assumed that the issue had been fixed.

I've had these microstutters / recurring popping sounds on my Modi, and in my case, the culprit turned out to be the USB cable. In the first one that I used, apparently the shielding wasn't good enough. When I switched to thicker cable with better shielding and 2 ferrite beads at the ends of the cable, the microstutters / recurring popping sounds went away.

Note that my Modi was connected to a USB 2 port the whole time though.

I'd suggest you try that first, and if the problem doesn't go away, at least you've eliminated that 1 of the potential sources.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #375 of 870
I've had these microstutters / recurring popping sounds on my Modi, and in my case, the culprit turned out to be the USB cable. In the first one that I used, apparently the shielding wasn't good enough. When I switched to thicker cable with better shielding and 2 ferrite beads at the ends of the cable, the microstutters / recurring popping sounds went away.

Note that my Modi was connected to a USB 2 port the whole time though.

I'd suggest you try that first, and if the problem doesn't go away, at least you've eliminated that 1 of the potential sources.

What kind of cable did you use? I purchased a mediabridge 2.0 gold plated one, pretty sturdy material from the looks of it and it's working flawlessly at the moment.

As of right now, the playback has been going without any sort of microstutter. It might have been an in-game glitch, but I have never encountered it in game before at all until I got my modi. I may have described it incorrectly, it wasn't a "stutter," more like a very brief moment where the audio just stopped playing for that moment.

As I have mentioned before, all the ports on the back of my motherboard are 3.0. The 2.0 slots would be in the front panel of the case, and I have read that using these ports is not ideal considering the connections are made from the i/o connectors and then into the motherboard.

I will keep listening for a couple of more hours, maybe put in a game or two and I will keep an update on this.

Thank you for the information though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back