Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jan 24, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #346 of 870

I use ratshack version, about $1.50 per.  Splits modi to magni and to emotiva a-100.  You definately do not want to do frequent plug changes on the modi, the connections will fail.

Do you notice any degradation of sound quality when using these?

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #348 of 870
  Thank you!  I will definitely keep that one in mind.

I can't even find many reviews for CD players online anymore.  It seems like it's really a disappearing tech, which I find sad.

It IS! All hard media is it seems. They want us to stream everything, pay them monthly, thus paying MORE money and then theyll give us lower quality media. The REALLY sad part IMO is the dying-ness of multi-channel SACDs and DVD-Audios! Oh man I LOVE my collection and which there was A LOT more. But people just dont know or dont have the money for good surround sound setups. Sad. That being said the one good thing about is you can buy music on CD all day long for VERY cheap on eBay. And once you have the CD you can of course convert it to whatever you want, FLAC, WAV (though Im not sure why you would), Apple Lossless, MP3, OGG, etc. and you only have to pay for it ONCE!

But yes, regarding the CD players, there are pretty much five main ones that are still out now that audiophiles looking for sanely priced units buy. They are:
  • Onkyo C-7030
  • Onkyo C-S5L
  • Marantz CD5004
  • Marantz CD6004
  • Teac PD-H600
  • Anything Oppo

2, 4, and 5 I believe are discontinued or being phased out, but you can find them still around the net and on eBay fairly easily. The Teac H600 is supposed to be the end game for non insanely priced CD transports, but I havent heard one myself. Still waiting to find a good deal on one to upgrade. Then Ill probably sell my Onkyo C-7030. Number 6 is a bit of a different beast as its really a do all disc media transport supporting all audio and video discs. I have an Oppo and LOVE it but its in my home theater setup for use with video stuff too.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #349 of 870

I use ratshack version, about $1.50 per.  Splits modi to magni and to emotiva a-100.  You definately do not want to do frequent plug changes on the modi, the connections will fail.

Do you notice any degradation of sound quality when using these?

It would just lower the output voltage of the Modi which would then be compensated for by amplifier.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #351 of 870
Or, just go with a switch? What I'm trying to do is to be able to connect my DAC to a headphone amp, a set of powered desktop speakers, or a vintage Pioneer receiver's AUX In. I would only want to use one device at a time, and want to avoid any potential loss of sound quality.

The switch considered -

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #353 of 870
  Or, just go with a switch? What I'm trying to do is to be able to connect my DAC to a headphone amp, a set of powered desktop speakers, or a vintage Pioneer receiver's AUX In. I would only want to use one device at a time, and want to avoid any potential loss of sound quality.

The switch considered -

Problem going this route is that any thing or circuitry in whatever switch you use it added to the signal path and very well could make the audio sound like crap, or introduce noise, or who knows. Can be a tricky game splitting audio signals.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #354 of 870
Oh man this is long over due but I kind of checked out of head-fi for a bit with finals and all recently. Anyways, a while back I asked about how the modi would work with a usb 3.0 port and I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that helpded out :)

It turns out that I'm not even having any issues with the usb 3.0 as an output on the hp spectre 13t. (though the headphone out is atrocious)

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #359 of 870
I would experiment with USB cables (They made a difference for me).  I ended buying a Pangea .5m cable for $69.  I had a few that I already had from hard drives and the like, and though I was skeptical the Pangea Definitely made a difference.  I'm not a big fan of buying expensive cables (diminishing returns especially on low to mid tier stuff) and typically make my own, but the Pangea was a good buy and gave the music more body.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #360 of 870
You must have had a serious issue with your old stock of USB cables.

I really like cables from http://www.usbfirewire.com/. You can get angled cables and short cables that you can't find anywhere else. A durable corrosion resistant gold plate and nice insulation straightens out well. I'm really happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back