Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Jan 1, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #1,577 of 1,646
Some questions NOS vs OS.

NOS without the brickwall filter? That's a thing apparently. I think Schiit's NOS foregoes the filter?

My understanding (such as it is) of digital theory says you have to have that brickwall filter at 22KHz (for CD).

What the OS gets you is an easier-to-implement filter with fewer artifacts in the human hearing range.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #1,578 of 1,646
@automojo ah you removed your message before I have time to reply.

But anyway I will say you're not the only one. I've been the odd one out for a long time because I prefer sound signature over resolution. And quite often I like very colored sounding gear as opposed to neutral gear, which makes it even harder.

So I had a really hard time finding dac that has good synergy with my headphone and matches my preference. All this time I've tried many DACs around Bifrost 2's price range and level then always fall back to SDAC which is like pretty low level but somehow sound the most musical to me so I stuck to it.

Hopefully one day I can find something matching in sound preference + good resolution. Normally it feels like you can only have one but hard to satisfy both.

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #1,579 of 1,646
I have both.
And like both.
They are different but both are thoroughly enjoyable IMHO:)

I tried the MMB2 side by side with the BF2 OG and the 2/64 and I was surprised at how close the performance was to the BF DACs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how little you're giving up by downsizing to the MMB2. That said, make sure you come back and let us all know how it works out for you. These are the kind of opinions/comparisons that make this thread worthwhile.

Happy listening!

I agree. The MMB2 and BF2 definitely sound more alike than different. It was only when I got a Gungnir MB that I felt everything made a significant jump up in SQ.

Thanks for the input. I’m looking forward to trying the MMB2 and curious to see how they compare.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #1,580 of 1,646
IPerhap

The BF2OG is similar, but overall does not sound the same.
Even my wife with tin ears can tell the difference.
Preference that’s another thing.
I could live with either-because they do what they do well, even though it’s a different flavor.
But that’s me.
I could certainly see people having a large preference for either just because of their difference in presentation.
Just my opinion, but I think one has to be careful about generalizing two things that have the significant difference.
Like the bright comments of a few that went in for pages in this thread and the BF2/64 threads.
Myself… in my system the YGGY was not a significant improvement, or improvement if any.
The BF2 OG much better.
Yes even my wife agreed, among others.

Sure
I have not updated my BF2OG to NOS capability.
I don’t prefer the NOS mode with the MMB2 in that half of my system.
Sounds a little soft, lack of definition.
I have a Project DAC Box FL ( TDA 1543x4 NOS
I run it off the coax of my Polk XM radio tuner
The BF 2 OG of the Polk's Toslink
Surprising both DACS have a very similar presentation, tonality rhythm and dynamics, with the BF2 OG being a few notches up in clarity and sound layering.
So it already kinda sounds NOS anyway.

@automojo ah you removed your message before I have time to reply.

But anyway I will say you're not the only one. I've been the odd one out for a long time because I prefer sound signature over resolution. And quite often I like very colored sounding gear as opposed to neutral gear, which makes it even harder.

So I had a really hard time finding dac that has good synergy with my headphone and matches my preference. All this time I've tried many DACs around Bifrost 2's price range and level then always fall back to SDAC which is like pretty low level but somehow sound the most musical to me so I stuck to it.

Hopefully one day I can find something matching in sound preference + good resolution. Normally it feels like you can only have one but hard to satisfy both.
Sorry about that!
Agreed
What is the SDAC?
Frankly, I was surprised that I do like the MMB2.
I think if I switched it over to the other half of my system, I probably wouldn’t like it so much.
It works well with the AMT3’s.
They are a lively speaker, where the infinities are more delicate.
But I disagree with that you can just swap out a MMB2 for a BF2OG.
They don’t sound the same.
As I recall with the 2/64.. the presentations are different.
I’m not a headphone guy… but I would think that this would be even more evident with a decent set of cans.
Even though my system is all tubes, both speakers are fairly high resolution compared to most.
Even then-it makes even rough program material listenable-compared to typical 'high res' systems.
In fact, this was driven more than home, went on a whim, I picked up a set of KLIPSCH Quartets.
I had a set of KG 5.5’s have bought new back in the 90s.
Brief encounter with a set of heresy, so I was familiar with their sound .
I was stunned at how colored these Quartets were. And thin sounding frankly.
They sounded like speakers-not music.
Obviously they were a bad match for my Evo300 amp (which I'm surprised-it drives the seal bass twin 10" woofers of my Infinities perfectly).
If I had DSP-and/or the Klipsch simply had L-pads for the mids and tweets(why they don't is beyond me)-they would have been easier to make them listenable.
Getting back to the point-all the Schiit MB Dac's have a noticeably different flavor-so using that as a guide IMHO is more helpful then emphasizing their overall general MB similarities'.
Because YMMV considerably.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,581 of 1,646
What is the SDAC?
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-grace-design-standard-dac?mode=guest_open

lol to be honest it's nothing fancy, it was popular at the time because it's cheap and good enough ($79.99 at the time).

But it's really just another AK4452 dac.

I like it because it has a specific sound signature that I've yet to found in anything else that I've tried. OH though recently I find iFi Zen Air Dac sound very close actually.

So maybe I like the iFi house sound.
Because YMMV considerably.
Definitely this, I think for me specifically maybe it just has good synergy with TH900. It fixes a lot of the issues that I had natively with TH900.

It might not pair as well with other things, and in your case speakers.

But I brought it up just to illustrate that despite price point, maybe when you get a good synergy going then it's just good no matter what.

So it's totally ok to like a cheaper gear over more expensive gear.

Though I'm trying MMB2 for the 2nd time so who knows, maybe expensive gear would win again LOL. :joy:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #1,582 of 1,646
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-grace-design-standard-dac?mode=guest_open

lol to be honest it's nothing fancy, it was popular at the time because it's cheap and good enough ($79.99 at the time).

But it's really just another AK4452 dac.

I like it because it has a specific sound signature that I've yet to found in anything else that I've tried. OH though recently I find iFi Zen Air Dac sound very close actually.

So maybe I like the iFi house sound.

Definitely this, I think for me specifically maybe it just has good synergy with TH900. It fixes a lot of the issues that I had natively with TH900.

It might not pair as well with other things, and in your case speakers.

But I brought it up just to illustrate that despite price point, maybe when you get a good synergy going then it's just good no matter what.

So it's totally ok to like a cheaper gear over more expensive gear.

Though I'm trying MMB2 for the 2nd time so who knows, maybe expensive gear would win again LOL. :joy:
Sure-makes sense.
I don't think any of my stuff is hi-end-fancy.
Not the most inexpensive-but most was second hand-blems etc.
Except for the 2 Schiit Dac's.
Even in the 70's/80's-up I would get the floor models/returns if possible.
At least from Schiit-the discount isn't much, and used ones of those are 2 close to new-with no warranty.
After my first round of Schiit MB's-I used a Grant Fidelity Tube Dac for a few years till the BF2 OG came out.
IMHO-it's been one of the better buy's I have had in audio over 50+ years-even at full list.
The other dac I really like on a consistent basis is the HRT Music Stream ii.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #1,583 of 1,646
Hello friends,

I have been using the MMB2, for the last 6 months, feeded directly from my Imac, with USB, and going into a Gilmore Lite MK2 amp.

I don´t have any major complaints. I´m gonna improve the source by going for something like a Wiim Pro streamer so that I use Coax with the DAC instead of USB.

But you know how it goes, one is always looking at the next "upgrade".

I guess my question is, if one really wants to improve the DAC in a way that it is audible to someone like me who doesn´t have golden ears for sure, what are we talking about?

I wonder if something like a Musician Pegasus with the upgraded fuse would be a good option or maybe a Gustard R26, which includes a streamer, very useful in my case. These are around the price range that I would be willing to go, so I´m just wondering if the price difference can justify the possible improvement in SQ.

If any of you had the chance to try different DACs and the MMB2, it would be nice to get some real feedback experience.

Please don´t get offended by my asking but I believe this is the best place to ask something like this.

Cheers.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,584 of 1,646
Hello friends,

I have been using the MMB2, for the last 6 months, feeded directly from my Imac, with USB, and going into a Gilmore Lite MK2 amp.

I don´t have any major complaints. I´m gonna improve the source by going for something like a Wiim Pro streamer so that I use Coax with the DAC instead of USB.

I guess my question is, if one really wants to improve the DAC in a way that it is audible to someone like me who doesn´t have golden ears for sure, what are we talking about?

I wonder if something like a Musician Pegasus with the upgraded fuse would be a good option or maybe a Gustard R26, which includes a streamer, very useful in my case. These are around the price range that I would be willing to go, so I´m just wondering if the price difference can justify the possible improvement in SQ.

If any of you had the chance to try different DACs and the MMB2, it would be nice to get some real feedback experience.

Please don´t get offended by my asking but I believe this is the best place to ask something like this.

Cheers.

The Schiit DACs (like the MMB2) with Unison USB ports offer a key advantage for reconstruction of digital data… why move to something that does not have USB out? Coax or anything else loses that advantage.

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,585 of 1,646
Hello friends,

Cheers.
SQ is subjective.
The MMB2 is a great sounding DAC.
Frankly-I think it's a better sounding DAC overall-along with the BF2 OG-then a Yiggy OG-certainly a A1/A2 Gumby.
But that's my opinion.
And my system.
IMHO-you need to be aware of your system, how changes effect it.
The start searching for a DAC with the qualities that you think would improve your listening experience.
It will save you alot of wasted time and money.
Sometimes you find out-as I did, your in the zone-so to speak.
I think alot of forums-and marketing get's guy antsy about upgrading.
If they don't get how there dac-for example fits in their systems-IMHO it kinda pointless.
Then you end up with off base comments, like being "bright" etc.
This/that is the problem-etc-etc-when it's simply their own error as a consumer.
Kinda blows my mind.....
A DAC is one SMALL part of your system.
Understand how it really works as a whole.
But hey-if you got the $$, and time-go for it.
It's a cool hobby.....
But don't be suprised if it doesn't work as planned....
IMHO if you really understand your system-it makes thing way more enjoyable over time.....

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,586 of 1,646
Hello friends,

Cheers.

I own the Gustard R26 and it is definitely an upgrade in both sound and features. It has the traditional relaxed and liquid smooth presentation expected from a quality R2R implementation. It also maintains high levels of microdetail and dynamics to go with that presentation instead of compromising on those things like some DACs of lesser quality do. The integrated streamer is very easy to use and quite convenient. Personally, I found the R26 to one of the very best DACs in its price range for the cash and certainly the best for my preferences.

As for improving the MMB2 experience, I do find that it sounds a bit better and more expansive over optical than USB. I haven't done much listening to it via coax so I don't know if that input provides the same benefit. I use a Wiim Mini over optical to my MMB2 as one of my listening rigs while I'm on the road which is about two-thirds of the year and sometimes more and I find the listening experience to be very good despite owning much higher level gear for use when I'm home or posted up in a hotel room for decent periods of time.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything else and I'll help if I can. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,587 of 1,646
I own the Gustard R26 and it is definitely an upgrade in both sound and features. It definitely has the tradition relaxed and liquid smooth presentation expected from a quality R2R implementation. It also maintains high levels of microdetail and dynamics to go with that presentation instead of compromising on those things like some DACs of lesser quality do. The integrated streamer is very easy to use and quite convenient. Personally, I found the R26 to one of the very best DACs in its price range for the cash and certainly the best for my preferences.

As for improving the MMB2 experience, I do find that it sounds a bit better and more expensive over optical than USB. I haven't done much listening to it via coax so I don't know if that input provides the same benefit. I use a Wiim Mini over optical to my MMB2 as one of my listening rigs while I'm on the road which is about two-thirds of the year and sometimes more and I find the listening experience to be very good despite owning much higher level gear for use when I'm home or posted up in a hotel room for decent periods of time.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything else and I'll help if I can. Happy hunting!
Using a decent USB cables help.
What type of PC your using also matters.
The Unsion is great sounding compared to any older Schiit wise.
Till they come out with a truly noise free USB/PC-it's always going to still be a bit of a compromise.
Even with the separate power supply/ cables-you get noise.
Myself-I just enjoy how good it sounds compared to say-even 5/6 years ago.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,588 of 1,646
Using a decent USB cables help.
What type of PC your using also matters.
The Unsion is great sounding compared to any older Schiit wise.
Till they come out with a truly noise free USB/PC-it's always going to still be a bit of a compromise.
Even with the separate power supply/ cables-you get noise.
Myself-I just enjoy how good it sounds compared to say-even 5/6 years ago.

Yup, I totally agree regarding the use of high quality USB cables. I should also say that I think the USB input on the MMB2 (and all Schiit Unison based DACs I have tried) is actually very good and the increase in sound quality I get over optical is quite minimal. I think the Unison USB implementation is actually very good so I'm definitely not telling anyone to expect night and day differences and I actually think the differences I hear would potentially go unnoticed by many people and probably on some gear as well.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,589 of 1,646
Thank you adias, automojo and JAnonymous5150 for your words and multiple angle approach to the matter.

I agree that, especially hanging in the forums, it is very easy to loose "perspective" and get easily caught in the rabbit hole train! :L3000:

When someone like me, lacks the gear experience, the technical knowledge and doesn´t have the opportunity to test gear, it gets very complicated to filter the reality from the romantic approach.

I guess, at least to my ears, my wake up call was when I got the Empyrean (thankfully in the second-hand market), despite liking the sound, I was shocked because for the price difference to my inexpensive Grado, there was no way a world apart in SQ, just a different sound for different tastes. Just for perspective I enjoyed almost as much the Meze 109 Pro, only at a fraction of the price. The construction alone, independently of brand, for me never justifies the cost. If SQ is the same, I will always go for the cheaper priced gear as long as it doesn´t brake. I couldn´t care less if the wood is lovely, or it is titanium or 500gr lighter (if for desktop use) and so on. As Long as it doesn´t have QC issues, SQ is my only goal and not aesthetics. Comfort is obviously different.

Now, HP apart (and I still believe it is the most important individual aspect of the system), the rest of the gear and its influence (at least theoretically) in the chain and therefore contribution for the final result, gets even darker to understand and quantify. Again, my only "weapon" to make an educated decision of what to do, not to do, change and so on, is reading. But we all know that it is as subjective as discussing SQ and preferences.

I do believe, deep down, that the MMB2 and the Gilmore Lite MK2 are more that I will ever need to be happy listening to music as long as the amp will be able to drive conveniently the Headphones I have / will get. I was curious to try a HE6se v2 but the lack of an appropriate Amp, just made me abandon the idea.
Since I almost exclusively listen to Instrumental Progressive metal (from bands like Plini and Mestis to Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit and a lot in between) and I believe I like the mid bass punch and slam a lot but without being a bass-head, I have plans to get and compare HP like the Sennheiser 660S2, the Fiio FT5, the Aune AR5000, the ND-H30, the Clear OG or even get again a 109 Pro if nothing else will satisfy me. I believe this is the range (to the 1000€ top) that makes the most sense to me.

Of course I crave as much as the next person, TOTL models but realistically, and knowing myself, I will always regret it sooner or later and I firmly believe that nothing will ever be perfect or totally satisfying, considering the already high-quality in sound that one can get with some smart choices at affordable prices, especially considering the used market.

So in this context, It would be smarter to "improve" the system I already have. HP I won´t consider for now, since this is probably what will change the most in the near future, or just because of owning multiple different choices.

Despite the USB Schiit excellent implementation, in my limited knowledge and based mostly on reading, I had the impression that, despite convenience, audio quality only considered, should be one of the last options to use. Simply and generally putting AES and I2S should be good options, followed by Coax (preferably with cables over 1,5m/2m), then Toslink and finally USB.
Since I mostly use streaming from my Imac24 (not the worst in the PC world but still a computer nonetheless), a streamer in my case seems the obvious choice for a noise "free" path search, with the least investment in price. The Wiim Pro, at the moment, seems a very good option. I have read that, despite not using the internal DAC of any, the Pro has better internals that the mini and has some influence on the SQ outcome. Everything is debatable but considering the price difference, sometimes paying a little more for some ease of mind is not always bad. Coax, in this case seemed to me the best approach between the Wiim and the MMB2.

Now, will this change and investment improve automatically my system overall SQ, to the point that it will make a difference to my ears? I honestly don´t know. But what can I do? Sometimes one just has to take the jump (at a controlled cost obviously) and test it. Otherwise, people can give an opinion but without certainties unless they could replicate my desktop gear, cables, sources, electrical network and environment.

So I believe that I probably won´t be wowed by this change, considering the already good USB implementation on the Schiit unit, but it won't bother me much as I already have a secondary purpose for the streamer in the future.

What else can I improve? Cables... hum... such a controversial topic. Really not sure what to believe. I have an ok USB cable at the moment but that will not matter in the case of a streamer and my Schiit is connected to the Gilmore, obviously, with RCA, in this case Mogami cables. I also have even cheaper KabelDirekt options and in all sincerity, can´t tell them apart in my current system. Do I have to go for a hundred Euros cable or even more to ear any difference? Will I be able to tell? I don´t know but I'm very, very reluctant to believe in cable diferences at this gear level.

What else? I have no idea what to do more, besides what I already wrote. I don´t have the possibility to compare gear or purchase just for the purpose of doing it, so that is not an option for sure.

So either I go on the safe side and make a decision to splash the cash and "improve" the system with better gear like a Gustard R26 (taking into consideration a positive tendency and consensus from a real great deal of people) and then maybe a better amp in the future. Or I just leave it all alone, enjoy what I have, upgrade a few bits here and there (cables, connections, PS) and invest mostly in Headphones with just different flavors for different moods.

Than there is also synergy... but I won´t even go down that path. Let us say, that for the sake of sanity, I tend to find review or opinions of people that at some point had at least dac and amp combination that I have, if HP also, then even better, but obviously also even rarer to find such opinions.

Unfortunately, in my case, considering that the Gilmore is not a very popular Amp, at least nowadays, I will hardly find those opinions. That is why I also tend to go with options (when considering upgrading and therefore spending more) that are more popular and therefore more chance finding opinions about synergy with other future options as the next purchasing piece in the system. That would for sure save you a lot of money and time, if you trust the taste, experience and knowledge of those people talking about synergy of the same 2 pieces you are also planing to have. Nonetheless, still subjective stuff in the end as you will just have to trust someone else´s opinion. Someone that you do not personally know and don´t know what agenda he has, if any.:sweat_smile:

Anyway, I kind of lost myself in my words. :dt880smile: I hope it was not too confusing to read or understand.:beerchug:

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #1,590 of 1,646
Thank you adias, automojo and JAnonymous5150 for your words and multiple angle approach to the matter.

I agree that, especially hanging in the forums, it is very easy to loose "perspective" and get easily caught in the rabbit hole train! :L3000:

When someone like me, lacks the gear experience, the technical knowledge and doesn´t have the opportunity to test gear, it gets very complicated to filter the reality from the romantic approach.

I guess, at least to my ears, my wake up call was when I got the Empyrean (thankfully in the second-hand market), despite liking the sound, I was shocked because for the price difference to my inexpensive Grado, there was no way a world apart in SQ, just a different sound for different tastes. Just for perspective I enjoyed almost as much the Meze 109 Pro, only at a fraction of the price. The construction alone, independently of brand, for me never justifies the cost. If SQ is the same, I will always go for the cheaper priced gear as long as it doesn´t brake. I couldn´t care less if the wood is lovely, or it is titanium or 500gr lighter (if for desktop use) and so on. As Long as it doesn´t have QC issues, SQ is my only goal and not aesthetics. Comfort is obviously different.

Now, HP apart (and I still believe it is the most important individual aspect of the system), the rest of the gear and its influence (at least theoretically) in the chain and therefore contribution for the final result, gets even darker to understand and quantify. Again, my only "weapon" to make an educated decision of what to do, not to do, change and so on, is reading. But we all know that it is as subjective as discussing SQ and preferences.

I do believe, deep down, that the MMB2 and the Gilmore Lite MK2 are more that I will ever need to be happy listening to music as long as the amp will be able to drive conveniently the Headphones I have / will get. I was curious to try a HE6se v2 but the lack of an appropriate Amp, just made me abandon the idea.
Since I almost exclusively listen to Instrumental Progressive metal (from bands like Plini and Mestis to Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit and a lot in between) and I believe I like the mid bass punch and slam a lot but without being a bass-head, I have plans to get and compare HP like the Sennheiser 660S2, the Fiio FT5, the Aune AR5000, the ND-H30, the Clear OG or even get again a 109 Pro if nothing else will satisfy me. I believe this is the range (to the 1000€ top) that makes the most sense to me.

Of course I crave as much as the next person, TOTL models but realistically, and knowing myself, I will always regret it sooner or later and I firmly believe that nothing will ever be perfect or totally satisfying, considering the already high-quality in sound that one can get with some smart choices at affordable prices, especially considering the used market.

So in this context, It would be smarter to "improve" the system I already have. HP I won´t consider for now, since this is probably what will change the most in the near future, or just because of owning multiple different choices.

Despite the USB Schiit excellent implementation, in my limited knowledge and based mostly on reading, I had the impression that, despite convenience, audio quality only considered, should be one of the last options to use. Simply and generally putting AES and I2S should be good options, followed by Coax (preferably with cables over 1,5m/2m), then Toslink and finally USB.
Since I mostly use streaming from my Imac24 (not the worst in the PC world but still a computer nonetheless), a streamer in my case seems the obvious choice for a noise "free" path search, with the least investment in price. The Wiim Pro, at the moment, seems a very good option. I have read that, despite not using the internal DAC of any, the Pro has better internals that the mini and has some influence on the SQ outcome. Everything is debatable but considering the price difference, sometimes paying a little more for some ease of mind is not always bad. Coax, in this case seemed to me the best approach between the Wiim and the MMB2.

Now, will this change and investment improve automatically my system overall SQ, to the point that it will make a difference to my ears? I honestly don´t know. But what can I do? Sometimes one just has to take the jump (at a controlled cost obviously) and test it. Otherwise, people can give an opinion but without certainties unless they could replicate my desktop gear, cables, sources, electrical network and environment.

So I believe that I probably won´t be wowed by this change, considering the already good USB implementation on the Schiit unit, but it won't bother me much as I already have a secondary purpose for the streamer in the future.

What else can I improve? Cables... hum... such a controversial topic. Really not sure what to believe. I have an ok USB cable at the moment but that will not matter in the case of a streamer and my Schiit is connected to the Gilmore, obviously, with RCA, in this case Mogami cables. I also have even cheaper KabelDirekt options and in all sincerity, can´t tell them apart in my current system. Do I have to go for a hundred Euros cable or even more to ear any difference? Will I be able to tell? I don´t know but I'm very, very reluctant to believe in cable diferences at this gear level.

What else? I have no idea what to do more, besides what I already wrote. I don´t have the possibility to compare gear or purchase just for the purpose of doing it, so that is not an option for sure.

So either I go on the safe side and make a decision to splash the cash and "improve" the system with better gear like a Gustard R26 (taking into consideration a positive tendency and consensus from a real great deal of people) and then maybe a better amp in the future. Or I just leave it all alone, enjoy what I have, upgrade a few bits here and there (cables, connections, PS) and invest mostly in Headphones with just different flavors for different moods.

Than there is also synergy... but I won´t even go down that path. Let us say, that for the sake of sanity, I tend to find review or opinions of people that at some point had at least dac and amp combination that I have, if HP also, then even better, but obviously also even rarer to find such opinions.

Unfortunately, in my case, considering that the Gilmore is not a very popular Amp, at least nowadays, I will hardly find those opinions. That is why I also tend to go with options (when considering upgrading and therefore spending more) that are more popular and therefore more chance finding opinions about synergy with other future options as the next purchasing piece in the system. That would for sure save you a lot of money and time, if you trust the taste, experience and knowledge of those people talking about synergy of the same 2 pieces you are also planing to have. Nonetheless, still subjective stuff in the end as you will just have to trust someone else´s opinion. Someone that you do not personally know and don´t know what agenda he has, if any.:sweat_smile:

Anyway, I kind of lost myself in my words. :dt880smile: I hope it was not too confusing to read or understand.:beerchug:

Cheers.

FWIW, when I mentioned quality USB cables I didn't at all mean spending a few hundred dollars on a cable. I simply mean finding cables with adequate gauge (thickness), proper shielding/grounding, and chokes, all of which can be found on relatively affordable cables. I have a lot of very expensive gear and I can honestly tell you that you end up paying thousands of dollars for basically that last 10% or so of performance and I totally agree that for the vast majority of people that improvement isn't worth the money and for many it will largely go unnoticed.

I can also say quite sincerely that if I had to ditch all my gear and keep a single affordable desktop rig, I could be totally happy with a pair of Hifiman Edition XS or even HE560s with my Schiit Lyr or Asgard and MMB2. Everything above that is essentially extras because I enjoy the journey and the experiences that happen along the way and have the expendable income to afford it. I think limiting yourself to what you're comfortable with and ignoring the constant pull to spend beyond that is an intelligent and totally acceptable way to approach this hobby and still have tons of fun. Especially these days, you can get incredible performance that would've cost you a couple kidneys and your first born child not too long ago for very affordable prices. In the sub-€1k price range you mention there is literally a whole treasure trove of killer gear out there to experience.

Lastly, I think you're 100% correct about the transducer (HPs, IEMs, speakers) being the most important and most influential part of a setup. Once you have a solid chain that gives you reasonable power and a good DAC, you can have a great time trying all kinds of different tunings, driver types, materials, etc. Sure, you may not have the capability to run some of the outliers like the HE6 series headphones, but there are so many great options out there that I don't really see that as being very limiting at all. The R26 is a step up in price, but given what you've said about your use case and your economics I will also tell you that you'll likely never need another DAC unless you and your desires change because it offers resolution/technicalities, range, flexibility, and features that make it an easy endgame level DAC for anyone not trying to ring every last drop of performance out of super high-end gear. That said, I also suspect that you would be just fine grabbing the Wiim and working on finding your sweet spot in the transducer side of things before you worry about building a more expensive chain. That's a question you'll have to answer for yourself though.

Lastly, who says the Gilmore isn't a good amp? I don't own one myself, but I know I few folks in the hobby that do and they have always said good things about them to me. I mean, it's not the most powerful and the measurement chasers have their criticisms, but there are plenty of owners out there that have been using them for years and find the Gilmore Lites to be perfectly serviceable amps.

All of that to say, do your thing, have fun, and don't let opinions and FOMO push you into spending more cash than you're comfortable with because there's plenty of cool gear and experiences to be had in the price range you are comfortable with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back