Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Mar 3, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,621 of 1,646
Thanks! It‘s been powered up the whole weekend.

Thanks! It’s also very interesting to me. I”ll tell you also, shutting off the EQ was interesting too. I think there are times when EQ does correct some issues, but at the same time I found the MMB2 sound to be more pleasant than the EQ’ed sound from the RME. Especially on the Elex. Ears are funny things.

So next big question. Is the BF 2/64 a good step up? I will never pay Yggy prices for my headphone setup.

Also, testing headphones in my town is impossible. Any thoughts on the next step in headphones? I love both my Elex and HD6XX for different reasons. I tried a HiFiMan Arya in NYC on a recent trip and was not impressed. What‘s in the 1-1.5k or less range that would be a good step up?

Thanks everyone.

I actually put several posts up on this thread regarding my impressions regarding how the MMB2 compares to various other Multibit and R2R DACs, including the Bifrost 2/64 and 2 OG. The BF 2/64 is a step up, but it's not a very big step. As I said in my post, the step up makes sense if you're not planning on ever moving beyond that level of DAC, but if you're looking for a big improvement you have to go further IMO based on my experience in A/B listening experiments.

The differences are much smaller than I had initially imagined and left me even more impressed with the MMB2. That said, the are audible and I think they're potentially useful for folks looking for an endgame DAC within that specific price range. It's just a matter of whether or not those relatively minor improvements are worth the added cost for you and that's something I/we can't really help you with.

I hope this helps a bit. For specifics on the impressions search this thread for my post. I think there are others as well.

BTW, I find the MMB2 to pair well with my Elexes, too. 👍😎

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #1,622 of 1,646
So next big question. Is the BF 2/64 a good step up? I will never pay Yggy prices for my headphone setup.
The differences are much smaller than I had initially imagined and left me even more impressed with the MMB2. That said, the are audible and I think they're potentially useful for folks looking for an endgame DAC within that specific price range.
Actually I'm wondering the same thing too. Initially I write off Bifrost 2/64 since I keep reading it's bright.

But I had a change of heart since I start to find MMB2 presentation a little bit shallow/in your face? Which is odd since I always thought I'd like forward presentation like that. I've read that Bifrost 2/64 do imaging and forward depth much better, a little bit more true to 3D space. Is that right?

Also I don't plan to go any bigger than Bifrost 2/64 size since I physically have no desk space to allow Gungnir / Yggdrasil. So the highest I can go is Bifrost 2/64.

I have a stand on my monitor and under my monitor is my "dac space". This is my physical limitation. I mean yes I could move it elsewhere but I like my "dac space" here LOL.

PXL_20240103_165505851.jpg

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #1,624 of 1,646
Actually I'm wondering the same thing too. Initially I write off Bifrost 2/64 since I keep reading it's bright.

But I had a change of heart since I start to find MMB2 presentation a little bit shallow/in your face? Which is odd since I always thought I'd like forward presentation like that. I've read that Bifrost 2/64 do imaging and forward depth much better, a little bit more true to 3D space. Is that right?

Also I don't plan to go any bigger than Bifrost 2/64 size since I physically have no desk space to allow Gungnir / Yggdrasil. So the highest I can go is Bifrost 2/64.

I have a stand on my monitor and under my monitor is my "dac space". This is my physical limitation. I mean yes I could move it elsewhere but I like my "dac space" here LOL.

I don't think the imaging becomes any sharper. The most notable difference is the somewhat larger staging and the differences in placement within the stage. By placement I mean that the listener takes a step back from the sources of sound in a given track. So it sounds like you have the basic idea of what difference you might hear correct.

The 2/64 is also a bit brighter up top, IMO, and there are some other smaller differences, but without my notes in front of me I think finding my post about this is likely to be more helpful. I came away from that A/B session with the MMB2 and the 2/64 thinking that the step up was quite a bit smaller than I would've expected, but that in a situation like yours where you say that price range is as high as you're willing to go you might find it worth it.

I should also add that the differences become even more minute if you use the 2/64 single ended. Balanced is the way to maximize the improvements available from jumping to the Bifrost.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #1,625 of 1,646
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #1,626 of 1,646
I should also add that the differences become even more minute if you use the 2/64 single ended.
Crap it might not be worth it then based on what you just said. Since I'm using Lyr 3 = single ended.

What about BF2 OG then? Would it be worth it for the thicker presentation? Which is also something I wish MMB2 had, even just a tiny bit lol.

Also thank you again for your detailed explanation!

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #1,627 of 1,646
Crap it might not be worth it then based on what you just said. Since I'm using Lyr 3 = single ended.

What about BF2 OG then? Would it be worth it for the thicker presentation? Which is also something I wish MMB2 had, even just a tiny bit lol.

Also thank you again for your detailed explanation!

The BF2 OG definitely has a noticeably warmer and somewhat thicker presentation so if that's what you're after, that might be a good direction to go. I like to think of the BF2 OG having much of the warmth of the OG MMB, but with better clarity and technical performance.

No problem, my friend. I hope you find what you're after. Just make sure you enjoy the journey along the way. Happy hunting! 👍😎

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #1,631 of 1,646
If you use WiiM as a source, turn off this option. You will get much better, natural sound.

1000002300.png

I had it set this way without ever listening to my setup with it turned on and I don't have one of my Wiim rigs available. Would you or anyone else be so kind as to tell me how it affects the sound? I would've thought it would only make a difference if you listen to MQA tracks and I don't so I turned it off. I'm genuinely interested. Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #1,632 of 1,646
I had it set this way without ever listening to my setup with it turned on and I don't have one of my Wiim rigs available. Would you or anyone else be so kind as to tell me how it affects the sound? I would've thought it would only make a difference if you listen to MQA tracks and I don't so I turned it off. I'm genuinely interested. Thanks in advance.
I had it on and the sound was harsh after WiiM did first unfold. It didn't seem natural to me on MQA tracks. It is much better now when I turned the feature off.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #1,633 of 1,646
I had it on and the sound was harsh after WiiM did first unfold. It didn't seem natural to me on MQA tracks. It is much better now when I turned the feature off.

Oh, I thought you guys were saying it affected the overall sound (as in non-MQA tracks too). Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back