Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Jun 17, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,262 of 1,649
Yes, but it does seem to be the more you spend the higher quality you do get sonically, that is until diminished returns come into play. I
It really depends on your source material. That better gear can make thing not recorded well sound like garbage. .......

If you have early 80s rock music on CD especially, like Van Halen. You can't go too high up the quality ladder and still enjoy it. At least, that is my experience. Old vinyl the same thing applies a bit.

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #1,263 of 1,649
It really depends on your source material. That better gear can make thing not recorded well sound like garbage. .......

If you have early 80s rock music on CD especially, like Van Halen. You can't go too high up the quality ladder and still enjoy it. At least, that is my experience. Old vinyl the same thing applies a bit.
Yes. You are right. But what do you do with all of your Led Zeppelin? Listen to it from the other room I guess.

What do you do to enjoy the oldies? Lower your expectations? Compromise your enjoyment? Cry! Buy a bottle!

Tell me your solution as that is where my tastes lie - the past. Even these old tracks on flac fail the ear test. Maybe very forgiving speakers is the answer.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #1,264 of 1,649
I always search for the best sounding CD release of an album before I buy. Many times it's a Japanese first release. Like the P58P Eat a Peach from 1986. Sometimes it's a West German "target", not the store, release. You'll pay more for these but it's worth it. Many times if you search say, "best sounding Led Zeppelin II" , you find discussions on the Steve Hoffman music forums. The original Barry Diament mastered Led Zeppelin CDs from the 80's are popular. There's tons of information out there to look at. Don't settle for new brickwalled remaster.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #1,265 of 1,649
I've been hearing great things about them. An H190 with a Schiit Dac would be awesome. But I'm wondering if the Dac in the Hegel is getting to the level of quality that is found in the MMB2?
Schiit's MultiBit technology is unique and awesome. The DAC in the Hegel is just an excellent implementation based on AKM chips. Very excellent but nothing special, IIRC. Personally, unless I needed DSD, then I'ld go with the MB that I know and love.

On paper, the Hegel outperforms the MMB. IME, on paper doesn't mean much because some of the excellent DACs I've had discouraged me from listening to music. Not so with the MB.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #1,266 of 1,649
Yes, but it does seem to be the more you spend the higher quality you do get sonically, that is until diminished returns come into play. I
Be careful, this isn't always true. It's like VW and Audi being the same cars, Audi with better "clothes" and a few more features but generally the same.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,267 of 1,649
What do you do to enjoy the oldies? Lower your expectations? Compromise your enjoyment? Cry! Buy a bottle!
I think a Schiit Loki can help by either reducing annoying frequencies or boosting the ones that didn't survive mastering intact.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,268 of 1,649
I always search for the best sounding CD release of an album before I buy. Many times it's a Japanese first release. Like the P58P Eat a Peach from 1986. Sometimes it's a West German "target", not the store, release. You'll pay more for these but it's worth it. Many times if you search say, "best sounding Led Zeppelin II" , you find discussions on the Steve Hoffman music forums. The original Barry Diament mastered Led Zeppelin CDs from the 80's are popular. There's tons of information out there to look at. Don't settle for new brickwalled remaster.
I'm going to be on the lookout for these. Thanks

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,269 of 1,649
Schiit's MultiBit technology is unique and awesome. The DAC in the Hegel is just an excellent implementation based on AKM chips. Very excellent but nothing special, IIRC. Personally, unless I needed DSD, then I'ld go with the MB that I know and love.

On paper, the Hegel outperforms the MMB. IME, on paper doesn't mean much because some of the excellent DACs I've had discouraged me from listening to music. Not so with the MB.
I hear ya, and that's what hurts. It's a bit redundant to pay big money for an integrated with digital inputs (dac) and then pay again for an outboard dac because the outboard is better- but "whatcha gonna do"?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #1,270 of 1,649
I'm going to be on the lookout for these. Thanks
There's a lot of good info on the Steve Hoffman music forums when it comes to the best pressings for records or CDs. Not all new CDs sound bad. Rhino has done a great job on their Little Feat reissues with bonus material. They've done other bands too.
Discogs is a great place to track down CDs and Records.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #1,271 of 1,649
I hear ya, and that's what hurts. It's a bit redundant to pay big money for an integrated with digital inputs (dac) and then pay again for an outboard dac because the outboard is better- but "whatcha gonna do"?
What I'd do? Buy an all analog integrated. DAC tech changes quickly enough that I don't want it in my amp.

Jun 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #1,272 of 1,649
There's a lot of good info on the Steve Hoffman music forums when it comes to the best pressings for records or CDs. Not all new CDs sound bad. Rhino has done a great job on their Little Feat reissues with bonus material. They've done other bands too.
Discogs is a great place to track down CDs and Records.
Thank you Runrunsmithfly. I'll take a look at Steve Hoffman music forums.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,274 of 1,649
I recently purchased the Modi Multibit 2, and it works fine, but the Source Selector LED is way too bright, especially in a dimly lit room. I had to put some black electrical tape over it. Obviously, it depends on where one has it installed, but in my installation the face of the unit (and LED) is directly aimed at the listener (inside a cabinet behind a glass door). I don't disable up-sampling, but if that is done on the Modi Multibit 2 then the Source Selector LED slowly blinks (very slowly, more like pulsing), which drives me crazy.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,275 of 1,649
I recently purchased the Modi Multibit 2, and it works fine, but the Source Selector LED is way too bright, especially in a dimly lit room. I had to put some black electrical tape over it. Obviously, it depends on where one has it installed, but in my installation the face of the unit (and LED) is directly aimed at the listener (inside a cabinet behind a glass door). I don't disable up-sampling, but if that is done on the Modi Multibit 2 then the Source Selector LED slowly blinks (very slowly, more like pulsing), which drives me crazy.
You think that the MM2 LED is bright than you should see the MM1. You can warn ships at night in the fog with it. The MM2 pales in comparison. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back