Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #136 of 1,649

What tube are you using on that? I'm guessing you're using a convertor?

My MM2 was supposed to be here 2 days ago but is hung up in a USPS center on the other side of the state. If it doesn't update tomorrow I might have to send an email to have someone locate that little dac!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #137 of 1,649
What tube are you using on that? I'm guessing you're using a convertor?

My MM2 was supposed to be here 2 days ago but is hung up in a USPS center on the other side of the state. If it doesn't update tomorrow I might have to send an email to have someone locate that little dac!
Yes this a 6SN7 tube. Vintage WW2 timeframe.
I am using an adapter.
Wonderful tube.
But the OC Canadian tube that came with the Vali 2 + also is superb.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #138 of 1,649
Yes this a 6SN7 tube. Vintage WW2 timeframe.
I am using an adapter.
Wonderful tube.
But the OC Canadian tube that came with the Vali 2 + also is superb.
My loxjie uses 5670 so I like to write down any tube i can that can be converted to it, and since I probably am getting a Vali ++ it helps. That's a pretty badass tube tho, i love the old look.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #139 of 1,649
We are going to have to disagree on this point. I have cd players, dac's and amps that clearly dig out sibilance and present a harsh, etched treble with the same music and exactly the same component chain (including cables), The analog out on my Onkyo DX-390 is horrific in this regard.

Did they create the sibilance in the recording ... no. But they certainly excerbate and add emphasis to what sibilance is already there and that was my point. Listening to that DX-390 I hear sibilance on recordings that is not even detectable out of my MMB OG.
Np there....and understand how you feel.
Sibilance is defined as this:
1672353668982.png

Most if not all modern dacs are FLAT from 20 hz to way above hearing...check the AP reports for the MM2 on the Schiit site.
Female vocals with some singers present this "sibilance" and if its in the recording your going to experience this.
Lots of modern recordings are crappy and this passes along in the recording..

IMO there is no "digging" out of sibilance...
Even using filters, hard, soft, slow and fast rolloff dont really do much if anything at all in the freq range that "real" sibilance is found from vocals.

Most folks that test dacs will often state they have a hard time telling any difference in these included filters.
They often state "I settled in on this one or that one"with no real rhyme or reason.

I actually listen for sibilance in female voice and when its there its there....my stuff passes the good and bad thru...
IMO, some headphones can affect this to some extent much more that filters...but again if you like what u use thats great

After all its about enjoying the music!
All the best
Alex

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #140 of 1,649
Measuring flat and sounding flat are two different takes, I know D/S DAC's do not sound as real to me as my RTR and /or NOS DAC's. I have proven that to myself multiple times. Something always seems off. If everything measures perfectly flat, low distortion etc... why do components sound different?

In another post you stated ....You can show me the charts and plankton graphs all day long. I don't care....its what I the listener can discern. So why the concern over what I can discern. Clearly you think different individuals have different abilities to discern.

In that same post you also stated ..... I have tested against or rather compared it (MMB2)to three other dac's I have.
All costing a lot more. I honestly do not hear much difference in all of them.

Maybe you need to put in some time and REALLY listen. You seem to have already determined there are few if any differences in DAC's. I know without a doubt know how a component impacts my audio chain. Maybe you just don't care about the differences?

I have four DAC's 1543 x 8 NOS DAC, 1865 NOS DAC, 1387 X 8 RTR DAC and the MODI MB OG and I can definitely tell them apart. I have them hooked up to a switch box. Sometimes I don't pay attention to what is hooked up. But let me listen for a short time and I know which DAC I am listening to. Interestingly, I just got a new DAC today. A used Bifrost 1 OG with op amp mods in the IV and DC servo sections. Have had the DAC playing and listened with my M 1070 planars and WOW!. I can tell immediately this DAC has incredible dynamics, noticeably more resolution of space and depth and sibilance is slightly more present. But, I do not think enough to be a deal breaker. This DAC is clearly a step up over my MMB1. Plus, the RTR DAC's usually need to warm up to stabilize and sound their best. I hooked this one up cold minutes after the UPS delivery. So, the treble should hopefully smooth out more.

Most people do not listen like I do. I spend time .... days, sometimes a week or more until I truly understand what is different. Once I can identify differences I know if the product is for me. As I have said treble is where I am particularly sensitive and when I add a component to my audio chain I look for specifically for how the component handles treble first because that is one of my main priorities. If I ultimately determine there is excess sibilance, glare, fatigue I do not keep the component because I will not ever listen to the component. That is my priority and that is why I like to research other opinions and see what people think before I buy.

I do not use or even have any extra filters in my DAC's. I do not use any EQ. I am old school I use a cd player coaxial out. If the component does not work for me there is not much I can do. I do make paper/felt treble filters for some of my headphones per an article DIY Audio Heaven. But you can only filter so much before you start making the sound to closed in. So the component has to have certain traits and a certain level of performance determined by myself or I will not be happy with them.

My purpose for following this thread was to see what people think of the new MMB2 so I could decide if I wanted to buy one. Not to argue about your opinions of DAC's are all about the same or my discernment is somehow misplaced because you believe sibilance is only a product of the music. Sure you need music to hear a vocalist but a component can screw up the treble which was my point .... which you cannot seem to grasp. I will end this with I am going to listen to my new/used BF 1 OG and if this DAC performs well I doubt I buy another DAC. But, if I do, with the information in this thread and treads elsewhere my purchase will definitely be a MM2.

Back to AAB Live At The Filmore.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #141 of 1,649
Measuring flat and sounding flat are two different takes, I know D/S DAC's do not sound as real to me as my RTR and /or NOS DAC's. I have proven that to myself multiple times. Something always seems off. If everything measures perfectly flat, low distortion etc... why do components sound different?

In another post you stated ....You can show me the charts and plankton graphs all day long. I don't care....its what I the listener can discern. So why the concern over what I can discern. Clearly you think different individuals have different abilities to discern.

In that same post you also stated ..... I have tested against or rather compared it (MMB2)to three other dac's I have.

Maybe you need to put in some time and REALLY listen. You seem to have already determined there are few if any differences in DAC's. I know without a doubt know how a component impacts my audio chain. Maybe you just don't care about the differences?

I have four DAC's 1543 x 8 NOS DAC, 1865 NOS DAC, 1387 X 8 RTR DAC and the MODI MB OG and I can definitely tell them apart. I have them hooked up to a switch box. Sometimes I don't pay attention to what is hooked up. But let me listen for a short time and I know which DAC I am listening to. Interestingly, I just got a new DAC today. A used Bifrost 1 OG with op amp mods in the IV and DC servo sections. Have had the DAC playing and listened with my M 1070 planars and WOW!. I can tell immediately this DAC has incredible dynamics, noticeably more resolution of space and depth and sibilance is slightly more present. But, I do not think enough to be a deal breaker. This DAC is clearly a step up over my MMB1. Plus, the RTR DAC's usually need to warm up to stabilize and sound their best. I hooked this one up cold minutes after the UPS delivery. So, the treble should hopefully smooth out more.

Most people do not listen like I do. I spend time .... days, sometimes a week or more until I truly understand what is different. Once I can identify differences I know if the product is for me. As I have said treble is where I am particularly sensitive and when I add a component to my audio chain I look for specifically for how the component handles treble first because that is one of my main priorities. If I ultimately determine there is excess sibilance, glare, fatigue I do not keep the component because I will not ever listen to the component. That is my priority and that is why I like to research other opinions and see what people think before I buy.

I do not use or even have any extra filters in my DAC's. I do not use any EQ. I am old school I use a cd player coaxial out. If the component does not work for me there is not much I can do. I do make paper/felt treble filters for some of my headphones per an article DIY Audio Heaven. But you can only filter so much before you start making the sound to closed in. So the component has to have certain traits and a certain level of performance determined by myself or I will not be happy with them.

My purpose for following this thread was to see what people think of the new MMB2 so I could decide if I wanted to buy one. Not to argue about your opinions of DAC's are all about the same or my discernment is somehow misplaced because you believe sibilance is only a product of the music. Sure you need music to hear a vocalist but a component can screw up the treble which was my point .... which you cannot seem to grasp. I will end this with I am going to listen to my new/used BF 1 OG and if this DAC performs well I doubt I buy another DAC. But, if I do, with the information in this thread and treads elsewhere my purchase will definitely be a MM2.

Keen to read your further impressions on the MM2.

Andrew

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #142 of 1,649

Great discussion. We all hear differently. Enjoy your stuff!

Alex

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #143 of 1,649

Love my NOS DACs. Since you're a ABB fan I highly recommend the new CD of the Jan 17, 1971 concert in Pittsburgh at the Syria Mosque. Great SQ and concert. I saw them in May of that year in Colorado. I've loved all the incarnations of the band and happy that they went out on top in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #144 of 1,649
From the above I’m guessing the modi multibit 2 in silver won’t match the magni+ in silver?

Are these the same chips used in the OG Yggy?

I missed the boat on the Piety, would be great if they could do another limited run.
Different chip but same manufacturer, Analog Devices.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #146 of 1,649
Ok, why not? Just ordered. I'll compare it head to head with the Modius and see. Almost got a used Bifrost but since I haven't actually heard an R2R DAC I think this could be a good dip for my toes (wish I had more time and forethought at CanJam). Hopefully I can hear a difference and don't have to spend even more, I don't know the point for diminishing returns on DACs as well as I do headphones.

Anyway, just looking for different and not necessarily "better." 🤞

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #148 of 1,649
Ok, why not? Just ordered. I'll compare it head to head with the Modius and see. Almost got a used Bifrost but since I haven't actually heard an R2R DAC I think this could be a good dip for my toes (wish I had more time and forethought at CanJam). Hopefully I can hear a difference and don't have to spend even more, I don't know the point for diminishing returns on DACs as well as I do headphones.

Anyway, just looking for different and not necessarily "better." 🤞
I have a Modius and the original Modi multibit and I'll take the Modi Multibit any day of the week. I'm not saying that I dislike the Modius because in my opinion it's a really good delta sigma DAC. I just like the R2R sound. I have two other NOS DACs and I never use my Modius. After the first of the year it's heading off to the auction block.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #149 of 1,649
I have a Modius and the original Modi multibit and I'll take the Modi Multibit any day of the week. I'm not saying that I dislike the Modius because in my opinion it's a really good delta sigma DAC. I just like the R2R sound. I have two other NOS DACs and I never use my Modius. After the first of the year it's heading off to the auction block.
I actually bought a Modius just to see if I would notice any differences between it and the OG Bifrost. I sold the Modius.
Here is a pix of a Magni 3 with the MM2.

Some folks never liked the LED light shining brightly out of the front panel...for me I always liked it.
Funny this pairing to my ears is really very nice.

1672419882429.png

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #150 of 1,649
I actually bought a Modius just to see if I would notice any differences between it and the OC Bifrost. I sold the Modius.
Here is a pix of a Magni 3 with the MM2.

Some folks never liked the LED light shining brightly out of the front panel...for me I always liked it.
Funny this pairing to my ears is really very nice.

1672419882429.png
That's really nice and proves, less is more! I recently bought a Vali 2++ and put a $20 new old stock RCA Command 5670 tube in it and now my Asgard 3 is heading to the auction block too. I highly recommend the Vali 2++.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back