Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 25, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #63 of 1,649
Tbh I don’t think that I was ever blessed with golden ears, perhaps when I was younger and my hearing was better I would be able discern the differences and articulate what I was hearing.

The reason I enjoy the mimby 2 more than the rme is I feel more connected to and immersed within the music when listening to it.

To be fair the RME Pro in balanced mode is delivering almost 1 watt less than the mimby 2 THX887 combo in balanced mode. I also like not having to obsess over the plethora of options that the rme has.

Has anyone here heard both the mimby 2 and the EF400?

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #64 of 1,649
Dac differences have always been small or non existent depending on the users ears. People will always like to state about night and day when it’s not true but I say go for it last when you’ve picked a quality amplifier and headphone that synergises well, it’s like tweaking the last few % well that’s if you can hear it anyway, if not rest easy that there’s a lot of cheap dacs that do a fantastic job at creating music.

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #66 of 1,649
Dac differences have always been small or non existent depending on the users ears. People will always like to state about night and day when it’s not true but I say go for it last when you’ve picked a quality amplifier and headphone that synergises well, it’s like tweaking the last few % well that’s if you can hear it anyway, if not rest easy that there’s a lot of cheap dacs that do a fantastic job at creating music.
LeslieDavidBaker.gif

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #67 of 1,649
I'm giving my MM2 a first listen. I like what I'm hearing. I'm going MM2>Vali 2++>6XX's. I'm using the optical input because I don't have a USB-C to USB-A Male Charging cable. That should be here on Wednesday. I'll give things a good workout then. First impressions are encouraging though.

Dec 26, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #71 of 1,649
Hmmm box was sealed, had clear tape under the Schiit factory seal, no chance of getting a used one since I ordered on the day it was released. I will take another look, maybe it was under the insert. The d in modi on the silk screen isn’t quite a d, perhaps my mimby is special!

Dec 26, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #73 of 1,649
I am using a RCA audio switch to roatate between my Modi3 AKM and MM2, which in turns feed FA-10 to HE6SE V2. I am using the Holy Ground by Haven as the music since it is recorded in a large space. Now the difference between Modi 3 OG and MM2 is very clear:

As @ssmith3046 mentioned earlier, MM2 has a much more intimate soundstage and as if you were in the stage vs Modi 3 OG by which you are sitting a few rows below the stage. Because of that, I feel the soundstage is larger in Modi OG but MM2 is more holographic, Mids also sound more forward, I almost feel like I was using ZMF Atrium instead of HE6SE.

Another difference I noticed when I switching between those two DACs is the volume. MM2 has significantly higher volume compared to Modi 3 OG.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #74 of 1,649
I am using a RCA audio switch to roatate between my Modi3 AKM and MM2, which in turns feed FA-10 to HE6SE V2. I am using the Holy Ground by Haven as the music since it is recorded in a large space. Now the difference between Modi 3 OG and MM2 is very clear:

As @ssmith3046 mentioned earlier, MM2 has a much more intimate soundstage and as if you were in the stage vs Modi 3 OG by which you are sitting a few rows below the stage. Because of that, I feel the soundstage is larger in Modi OG but MM2 is more holographic, Mids also sound more forward, I almost feel like I was using ZMF Atrium instead of HE6SE.

Another difference I noticed when I switching between those two DACs is the volume. MM2 has significantly higher volume compared to Modi 3 OG.

Just a correction, I have an original Modi Multibit and not the MM2. My apologies if my post was misleading.

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #75 of 1,649
Just a correction, I have an original Modi Multibit and not the MM2. My apologies if my post was misleading.
I guess MM and MM2 are almost identical since they use the same major components, maybe the only difference is the USB port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back