Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 24, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #46 of 1,649
I have tested against or rather compared it to three other dacs I have.
All costing alot more.

I honestly do not hear much difference in all of them.
I bought these other dacs just to see for my ears what differences in sound is there.

The MM2 is a stellar dac for $299.
Blind testing it would be next to impossible for me to tell them apart after level setting so the SPL was the same etc.

Really amazing at how we will spend lots of dollars for great sound.
You dont really have to do this....

You can show me the charts and plankton graphs all day long. I dont care....its what I the listener can discern.

I agree Schiit has hit it out of the park with the MM2.

NOS to me is also a very subtle change, Not as great as you would think.

Alex

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #48 of 1,649
I have tested against or rather compared it to three other dacs I have.
All costing alot more.

I honestly do not hear much difference in all of them.
I bought these other dacs just to see for my ears what differences in sound is there.

The MM2 is a stellar dac for $299.
Blind testing it would be next to impossible for me to tell them apart after level setting so the SPL was the same etc.

Really amazing at how we will spend lots of dollars for great sound.
You dont really have to do this....

You can show me the charts and plankton graphs all day long. I dont care....its what I the listener can discern.

I agree Schiit has hit it out of the park with the MM2.

NOS to me is also a very subtle change, Not as great as you would think.

Alex
I will stand with the DAC does not matter that much camp, at least it is wallet friendly, :). However, DS vs R2R is not subtle, you can tell the difference and peopel will have a clear preference.

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #49 of 1,649
Depending on your headphone ability to discern minute things, and you have excellent hearing I sincerely doubt that you will hear differences that amount to
any where near an order of magnitude.

I sit here with (5 -dacs) and anyone of them does a great job.

The differences are that small for me.

No snake oil here...but as always YMMV.

What I do see in some dacs are functions that allow one to play and try new stuff...like MQA and DSD and all kinds of filters and sampling.

I dont know how many times I read well i tried the filters and had a hard time telling any differences but settled in on this one or that one...

Yup, small differences when you consider the THD of a transducer..

:>0

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #50 of 1,649
I will stand with the DAC does not matter that much camp, at least it is wallet friendly, :). However, DS vs R2R is not subtle, you can tell the difference and peopel will have a clear preference.
For sure. Modius vs Modi multibit is night and day to my ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #52 of 1,649
I have Modi Multibit v2, Modius AKM and BF 2 OG. I was wondering whether if it's worth it to buy MM2? I keep telling myself no more DACs, but it's pretty tempting for me to want to try out MM2.

I would only recommend getting a MM2 if you were looking to upgrade/replace your MMv2 or Modius.

SQ-wise, I'd say the MM2 is maybe just a little bit better than the MMv2, but approx. 500% better than the any version of Modi/Modius.

Dec 24, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #53 of 1,649
Just received my MM2, and my chain is MM2 -> Hagerman Tuba -> ZMF Atrium, I briefly compared to my OG Modi3 (AKM chip pre-fire), and I have to say the difference is actually not very apparent. I need more time to do A/B test with more tracks.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #55 of 1,649
Interesting. When I went from a Modi 3 to the Modi multibit I was just amazed at the difference. With the Modi 3 it was like I was sitting five rows back from the stage and the multibit put me on the stage. I still remember my holy schiit reaction.
With more time I can tell some difference now. However, I have to say this is also related to the headphones you are using since Atrium is pretty good in immersive soundstage. I will do more test tomorrow, also with another chain FA-10 -> HE6SE V2, maybe it will be easier to hear the difference.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #57 of 1,649
I might be posting this too early since I just spend a few min before I post my first impression.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #58 of 1,649
Definitely enjoying the mimby 2, although my THX887 seems to run out of steam balanced into the HE6SEV2 when tuned via roon to oratory, especially with older albums. Hard to get back that 6db with 3.7 watts. Time to start looking for an amp that can power these behemoths.

Dec 25, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #59 of 1,649
How does it compare sound-wise to the previous 2 versions of modi multibit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back