Schiit Modi+ :: Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #77 of 90
I'm going to have to try one. I've only owned a Topping D50 and Modi 3E when it comes to Sabre DACs and I didn't care for either one. I believe that both of those use the ES9018.

I think Modi+ still uses the same ES9018 chip, but maybe they tweaked the sound a bit.

I guess implementation is still the big thing.

Technically HE-1 also uses 8 x ES9018 chips. :joy:

Not to ruin the party but i think they have already moved on from the Modi+ to the next version called, yeah, Modi
Or is it still the one they call Modi+? I can’t findnit ob their website

Current it's still Modi+ as far as I know, did they announce a new one yet?

Modi Unity? :joy:

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #78 of 90
I think Modi+ still uses the same ES9018 chip, but maybe they tweaked the sound a bit.

I guess implementation is still the big thing.

Technically HE-1 also uses 8 x ES9018 chips. :joy:

Current it's still Modi+ as far as I know, did they announce a new one yet?

Modi Unity? :joy:
I see! you are right. It is only the title in the official website that doesn’t have the +, but the pictures of the DAC and the description still have it, that’s where I got confused 🙂 my bad

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #79 of 90
Not to ruin the party but i think they have already moved on from the Modi+ to the next version called,
"Modi+ stacks seamlessly with a wide range of products to let you build your perfect system."
Looks like they dropped the plus but still use it in the description of the Modi.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #80 of 90
To my understanding, you have:

Modi 3 (AKM chip, gen 5 USB)
Modi 3+ (AKM chip, Unison USB)
Modi 3E (ESS chip, Unison USB)
Modi+ (ESS chip, Unison USB)

The notable difference is that Modi 3+ is the first time Modi adapt Unison USB.

Modi 3E is a response to the AKM fire and chip shortage.

I think by the time they reached Modi+ they refined the sound coming from the ESS chip. I've read some reviews that people didn't care for Modi 3E sound wise.

And Schiit need better naming progression, this is confusing as hell LOL.
So does the Modi+ sound audibly "better" than the Modi 3? The Modi+ is 200 euros on the schiit EU site and I could buy the Modi 3 and Magni 3 for 200 euros in the same colour that I want. Should I buy the Modi+ or the Modi 3 and magni 3?

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #81 of 90
So does the Modi+ sound audibly "better" than the Modi 3? The Modi+ is 200 euros on the schiit EU site and I could buy the Modi 3 and Magni 3 for 200 euros in the same colour that I want. Should I buy the Modi+ or the Modi 3 and magni 3?
I've only had the Modi 3+ before so I'm not sure how it compares to the rest. :sweat_smile:

But I'd recommend you at least get Unison USB.

And also sounds like 3E has been universally horribly received.

So that leaves you either Modi 3+ or Modi+ lol.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #83 of 90
So I just got a Modi+ and I was under the assumption that if I plugged my iPad into it via USB-C and also plugged the power USB into the wall, it would not use my iPad to power it. Though I found that my battery drained faster than usual so I suspected it was taking power from it. I contacted Schiit via email and after several back and forths I was told that the only way for it to not use my iPad power was to use a camera adaptor or run it through a hub. I then inquired as to what model of DAC I would need from them to not use my iPad's power without thee extra dongles and was told EVERY DAC of theirs will do this.

This made no sense to me on several levels. Specific to the Modi+, why would you have an external power jack for the wall and not have the unit prioritize it for power? Also, I'm having a HARD time believing this is the same for ALL Schitt DACS. Some of them have power switches. I used to own a Modius E and Bifrost 2. I didn't think the Modius E was sucking my power but maybe I didn't notice. I didn't have it that long. I'm pretty darn sure my BF was NOT sucking iPad power. It has a true IEC power cord and power switch to boot.

Can anyone speak to this? Any of this true or did I get bad info? Seems silly for me to run extra dongles and cabling just to hook an iPad up to it like I do with other brand named DACs.

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #84 of 90
So I just got a Modi+ and I was under the assumption that if I plugged my iPad into it via USB-C and also plugged the power USB into the wall, it would not use my iPad to power it. Though I found that my battery drained faster than usual so I suspected it was taking power from it. I contacted Schiit via email and after several back and forths I was told that the only way for it to not use my iPad power was to use a camera adaptor or run it through a hub. I then inquired as to what model of DAC I would need from them to not use my iPad's power without thee extra dongles and was told EVERY DAC of theirs will do this.

This made no sense to me on several levels. Specific to the Modi+, why would you have an external power jack for the wall and not have the unit prioritize it for power? Also, I'm having a HARD time believing this is the same for ALL Schitt DACS. Some of them have power switches. I used to own a Modius E and Bifrost 2. I didn't think the Modius E was sucking my power but maybe I didn't notice. I didn't have it that long. I'm pretty darn sure my BF was NOT sucking iPad power. It has a true IEC power cord and power switch to boot.

Can anyone speak to this? Any of this true or did I get bad info? Seems silly for me to run extra dongles and cabling just to hook an iPad up to it like I do with other brand named DACs.

Thanks!

Plug the power supply supplied with the Modi+. Connect your iOS device next - no power is drained.

If the plugging order is reversed the iOS device will be drained. This is true with many other products.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #85 of 90
Plug the power supply supplied with the Modi+. Connect your iOS device next - no power is drained.

If the plugging order is reversed the iOS device will be drained. This is true with many other products.
Why didn't they tell me this!!!! I asked in many ways and kept getting the same answer. Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #86 of 90
Why didn't they tell me this!!!! I asked in many ways and kept getting the same answer. Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

In the manual:

IMG_9475.jpeg

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #87 of 90
In the manual:

IMG_9475.jpeg
Well to be fair, I was not getting that error. Just noticed that my iPad was losing more battery than it should.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #88 of 90

Yeah try this first, but in the long run I still recommend the Apple Camera Adapter.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Because while the Modi+ theoretically should drain zero power, your iPad still uses power for itself.

With the camera kit you can charge iPad while listening to music so you'll never run out of power ever ever ever ever ever (until your forget to pay electric bill).

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #89 of 90
Yeah try this first, but in the long run I still recommend the Apple Camera Adapter.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Because while the Modi+ theoretically should drain zero power, your iPad still uses power for itself.

With the camera kit you can charge iPad while listening to music so you'll never run out of power ever ever ever ever ever (until your forget to pay electric bill).
I don't mind running my iPad off battery for listening. I'm not an all day listener. Can be a few hours at a time tops. Prefer the simplicity of simply plugging it in when I want to. For my use, doesn't seem necessary. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #90 of 90

The regular camera adapter has no charging. There is a charging version of the camera adapter if one wants that capability.

Camera adapter without or with charging capability is always needed for lightning ported iOS devices for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back