Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,896 of 3,541
  I agree that the source begins to either show its flaws or shine when the HD800 is in the chain. Im still firm on my opinion that it has little if any warmth at all, and I was using the D18 dac--which is known to be quite dark. I  suppose my opinion of the pairing having no warmth is from comparing it directly to the A18 amplifier.

My experience with the Mjolnir and HD800 combo has been quite good using the Oppo BDP105 as my source going all balanced to the amp.  I find the combination to be incredibly neutral and transparent.  There is plenty of authoritative and accurate bass slam and I find the high end to be troblesome only with inferior recordings.  With SACD, high-res files, and even well recorded redbook sources, the highs are crystal clean, but not brittle or fatiguing.  I have been very satisfied with the combination.  It is extremely revealing, however, of poor source material.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,897 of 3,541
Finally got my mjolnir setup squared away, using it with balanced zmf t50rp.  Man it sounds great.   I actually was going insane because of a buzzing, it turns out it was being caused by the dimmer switch in my living room on another floor of the house.  The other dimmer switches in the house had no effect.  As soon as I shut off the living room dimmer switch lights, instant black background.  I'm swapping it for an on/off switch tomorrow.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2,898 of 3,541
Finally got my mjolnir setup squared away, using it with balanced zmf t50rp.  Man it sounds great.   I actually was going insane because of a buzzing, it turns out it was being caused by the dimmer switch in my living room on another floor of the house.  The other dimmer switches in the house had no effect.  As soon as I shut off the living room dimmer switch lights, instant black background.  I'm swapping it for an on/off switch tomorrow.
Or you can take it a step further by getting a power conditioner like the APC H10 or H15. It provides you with line conditioner, automatic voltage regulator, and isolated banks.

It was one of the best purchases I've made.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,899 of 3,541
Been living with the Schiit Mjolnir for awhile now, and I absolutely love it!
It's got that powerful/impactful sound I was looking for, and ive never enjoyed music more.
The former Burson The Conductor I had dont have a chance in my opinion

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,900 of 3,541
It's got that powerful/impactful sound I was looking for, and ive never enjoyed music more.

Wow! I'd love to hear more details. I have the soloist right now and the conductor basically is a Soloist with a Sabre DAC.

For what genres? And how are they better for you specifically? Asking as I would like to know if we have the same preferences in music and if I can justify the plunge. :) Thanks!

Or, maybe I wait for the Ragnarok. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2,901 of 3,541

Interesting. Care to elaborate a bit? 
I always thought that the conductor bass was fast and impactful. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #2,902 of 3,541

Interesting. Care to elaborate a bit? 
I always thought that the conductor bass was fast and impactful. 

Compared to the Mjolnir? No way.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,903 of 3,541
So I swapped out the cheap leviton dimmer switch for a leviton 15amp on/off switch and it did totally remove the hum.  The background seems even blacker now than when I had the dimmer switch set to off, but that may be expectation bias :)  Cheapest $1.50 upgrade I could have made.  Someone recommended a power regenerator on IRC, this is so much easier

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #2,904 of 3,541
So I swapped out the cheap leviton dimmer switch for a leviton 15amp on/off switch and it did totally remove the hum.  The background seems even blacker now than when I had the dimmer switch set to off, but that may be expectation bias :)  Cheapest $1.50 upgrade I could have made.  Someone recommended a power regenerator on IRC, this is so much easier
easier for sure. But are you positive that your investments are protected from voltage sags and spikes? I think not..

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,905 of 3,541
Mjolnir gives 5W @ 50ohm, while the Conductor doesnt even give 1W @ 50ohm if im not wrong. 
Audeze themselfs recommend between 1-4W. So that might have something to do with it. 

I listen to alot of house, indie/indie pop, alternative rock, EDM, and similar genre's.
I'm very bad at describing sound, so I feel like it would be cliché, atleast when I dont have both products to compare. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2,906 of 3,541
  Mjolnir gives 5W @ 50ohm, while the Conductor doesnt even give 1W @ 50ohm if im not wrong. 
Audeze themselfs recommend between 1-4W. So that might have something to do with it. 

I listen to alot of house, indie/indie pop, alternative rock, EDM, and similar genre's.
I'm very bad at describing sound, so I feel like it would be cliché, atleast when I dont have both products to compare. 

+1 for house music

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,907 of 3,541
Anyone try the Anedio D2 with the Mijolnir?

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2,908 of 3,541
Goes to Senn HD 600.  Can do the HD 700 also.

CD ripped in AIFF to the Pod via the iMac and iTunes.  Simple.  Good.

beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,910 of 3,541

Users who are viewing this thread

Back