Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #2,777 of 3,541
Quote:
Would you guys recommend the HD650 with the Mojo/Gung? i know people love orthos with this combo, so I don't have to worry about my Paradox, but the HD650 has my attention..

I will also add my +1 to this. Very solid combo for the HD650. I have no complaints.

TBH a setup at a local meet with the BUDA and some $2K+ DAC that I can't recall sounded better... but that's a much more expensive rig
rolleyes.gif

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,778 of 3,541
Yay:)
Would you guys recommend the HD650 with the Mojo/Gung? i know people love orthos with this combo, so I don't have to worry about my Paradox, but the HD650 has my attention..

I will also add my +1 to this. Very solid combo for the HD650. I have no complaints.

TBH a setup at a local meet with the BUDA and some $2K+ DAC that I can't recall sounded better... but that's a much more expensive rig :rolleyes: .

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,779 of 3,541
Thanks for the input gentlemen.

This is only the second time I have experienced a feeling that a piece of stereo equipment simply doesn't do anything for me. It's a strange feeling. Not to say it's a bad thing, just different. If this is a wire with gain, then I want some salt and pepper please.

Something like that…

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2,780 of 3,541
Quote:
Thanks for the input gentlemen.

This is only the second time I have experienced a feeling that a piece of stereo equipment simply doesn't do anything for me. It's a strange feeling. Not to say it's a bad thing, just different. If this is a wire with gain, then I want some salt and pepper please.

Something like that…

I've got a few thoughts on the MJ vs BHA-1 with HD800s in the Bryston thread...I don't think they are as close in performance as others here. :wink:

-Daniel

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,783 of 3,541
I would avoid the PanAm for the Audezes because the PanAm has highish output impedance (I wish ALO would provide the exact specs) and will not be optimal in terms of delivering current / power to the low impedance Audezes.This mismatch usually results in a sluggish and soft sound, which IMO are not a good match for the Audezes since they are laid back sounding. I've never liked the Audezes from any amp with highish output impedance, since that goes against my personal preferences for sonics: having tight bass, articulation, precision. I know Headfonia loves the PanAm with the Audezes, but he seems to have a tendency of writing and promoting reviews of things that he sells in his store. In other words, I believe he's shilling the stuff he sells. YMMV though, and it may turn out that you may like that sort of gentler mushy muffled sound.

The Burson Soloist is pretty decent. A huge step up from the HA160 which sounded excessively un-dynamic, polite and forgiving when it wasn't distorting (clipping) the Audezes at higher volume. The Soloist's sonics are similar to the Mjolnir, maybe a hair more etched with less rendering of microdynamics. The Mojo is way more powerful though (I use the Mojo to power 8 ohm speakers and it hasn't blown up yet.)

At the end of the day the Mojo is a much better deal. The drawback of the Mojo is that you can only use headphones with balanced connectors and you will need a DAC with high quality differential outputs to maximize its potential.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,784 of 3,541
So I have a LCD-2.2 coming in the mail with a Silver Dragon Cable. Got a sweet deal for $750 :)

Now comes the question of driving these babies. I am conflicted with what to use my budget on...

The cable is 4pin, which makes my decision a bit difficult. I am interested in some schiit audio stuff obviously, but I'm not sure whether I should go with the Mjolnir+Cheap DAC (perhaps a modi?) or should I go for a Bifrost/Lyr? Any suggestions?

On a different note. I'm quite excited and all giddy inside :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2,785 of 3,541
Go big and get a balanced DAC if you get the Mjolnir. Kinda wasting it's potential if you have a balanced amp but not balanced DAC imho.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,787 of 3,541
Sooo what everyone is saying here, is that the Mjolnir is not capable of reaching it's full potential with a single ended source?   My recently upgraded Bifrost won't be good enough to drive the Mjolnir to it's full potential?   If  this is true then my thoughts of getting a mojo have been tabled indefinitely.   Good thing to,  as I was just about to get my LCD's and HE500 recabled for the amp.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,789 of 3,541
Quote:
Sooo what everyone is saying here, is that the Mjolnir is not capable of reaching it's full potential with a single ended source?   My recently upgraded Bifrost won't be good enough to drive the Mjolnir to it's full potential?   If  this is true then my thoughts of getting a mojo have been tabled indefinitely.   Good thing to,  as I was just about to get my LCD's and HE500 recabled for the amp.  

It'll still be solid through the Bifrost (as it is no slouch). You just won't be getting the full potential that balanced provides. Albeit... having briefly listened to Orthos on a balanced setup, they don't seem to benefit from going balanced as much as the HD650, particularly in terms of soundstage. However, the Mojo does provide lots of power for the orthos, ensuring you have some seriously tight bass and fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back