Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2,731 of 3,541
It's quite the opposite.  No bleed over increases left to right focus.  The closeness of the drivers to the ear forces a solid centre where with speakers, you have to be in the sweet spot for staging to work.  And with open headphones the left does hear the right and so forth.  Not as loudly as speakers, but hears it none the less.  But the hard pan of sound makes the stage go through the head.  The more open the design the more it's pulled out of the head ala HD800.  And in the other direction, IEMs have a solid centre but hard left/right panning through the inside of the head.  Shoulder checks happen quite a bit with my HD800 but never with the UM3X.

As for the Mjolnir, it staged very very well.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,732 of 3,541
This thread sure has been quiet 

Well I think I'm finally going to grab a Mjolnir sometime soon. The demo units at $675 seem like a great price to jump on considering it has the 5 year warranty (I'm thinking Mjo might be end of the line for me, so warranty could be handy!)

How common is the transformer hum issue? All the units I've heard never had that issue. 

Any predictions if/when a Mjolnir 2 is bound? Any thoughts on what it might include? Hope I'm not the only one thinking it's a possibility

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,733 of 3,541
Quote:
How common is the transformer hum issue? All the units I've heard never had that issue. 

popcorn.gif

I do not hear any hum on my Mojo except when lights with dimmers, which are on the same electrical line are on.
How many units have you heard with a 'hum'?

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,734 of 3,541
Quote:
Quote:
How common is the hum issue? All the units I've heard never had that issue. 

popcorn.gif

I do not hear any hum on my Mojo except when lights with dimmers, which are on the same electrical line are on.
How many units have you heard with a 'hum'?

I've heard about 3 units now and none I heard had the issue. Oops, didn't mean transformer hum, but a hum in general. Seems it isolated and more caused by the end user. Guess I'll find out. My power lines don't have any issues and I've got most my gear stacked up behind conditioners and such.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,735 of 3,541
My Mojo hums; not always but with regularity.  I have very poor mains (the voltage and THD are fine according to my P3, but there's a lot of other stuff wrong with it), but even with filters, DC blockers, regenerators and balanced transformers it still hums from time to time.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2,736 of 3,541
My Mjolnir has been running non-stop for just over four months...absolutely dead quiet....no hum issue.

Cheers!

Gus

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,739 of 3,541
No hum from my Mjolnir.  Absolutely dead silent background.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,740 of 3,541
My Mjolnir has been exemplary in every way. Absolutely nothing to complain about. While it may well not be the perfect amp for many other headphones it does work extremely well with the LCD3 Audeze. I really would love to audition the GSX Mk II from Headamp but every time I listen to my stack I kind of have to ask why I would want to change and spend a bunch of money when what I have is working so well? I guess it's just the way we think...

Anyway no hum or anything else but pure blackness when it is supposed to be. And doing everything else right too. For under a $1000 I would have to say this amp is a screaming bargain new if one is using the LCD 3 / 2.2 phones. Now if the audiophile has money to burn as no object in the decision then absolutely consider another amp.  

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,741 of 3,541
Just ordered on of these for Schiits and giggles to try with my Eximus. Hopefully it'll clue me in as to whether to purchase a Rag or not this fall. Will be running balanced (duh) with my HD 800/DHC Complement cable. What's the generally accepted break in time for the MJ, for those that have ears to hear...?

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2,742 of 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's the generally accepted break in time for the MJ, for those that have ears to hear...?

-Daniel

Like 400 hours or something. Actually what's more important is warm up time. Four to eight hours initially. Less after it's been broken in. Just leave it on all of the time if you live in cool weather.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,743 of 3,541
Quote:
Just ordered on of these for Schiits and giggles to try with my Eximus. Hopefully it'll clue me in as to whether to purchase a Rag or not this fall. Will be running balanced (duh) with my HD 800/DHC Complement cable. What's the generally accepted break in time for the MJ, for those that have ears to hear...?

-Daniel

Would love to hear your thoughts/impressions on the mojo pairing with the HD800 (they are a long term goal for upgrading...). Are you also using Gungnir as a DAC? EDIT: Sorry... I clearly didn't read your first line LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back