Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jun 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,717 of 3,541
I heard the Audeze LCD-3's are better for Alternative Rock, but was just wondering what your opinion is too before moving onto the rig setup. I'll definitely take the Mjolnir into consideration then!

With the mjolnir, I'd give the edge to the audez'e. They mainly excel in rock/pop/hip hop and rap (percussive genres) whereas other genres I find to sound better with HE6.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,719 of 3,541
Quote:
Hey everyone. I was wondering if you guys could help me select my new rig. The headphone I'm leaning towards is the Audeze LCD-3's and not sure which headphone amp to go with: Either the Headamp GS-X MK2 or the Schiit Mjolnir. Which one sounds better with the LCD-3? Also, once you help me choose which amplifier, I was wondering what DAC goes well with this combination. Thanks so much guys!

Quote:
The Mjolnir is less money by far and has slightly less or slightly better SQ - depending what you like.  

If I was only going to use the LCD-3 I would go Mjolnir hands down and spend the rest of my savings on a really good DAC.  If I was going to use multiple headphones ie.. HD800, TH900 and so on I would suck it up and go with the GS-X mkII.  All IMO..

+1. I'd also add if you're looking at using other headphones, I'd likely consider the GS-X. Other considerations would be the GS-X wait time
and maybe holding out for the Ragnarok.

DACs..too many to choose. Set a budget and state your preferences.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,720 of 3,541
Quote:
+1. I'd also add if you're looking at using other headphones, I'd likely consider the GS-X. Other considerations would be the GS-X wait time
and maybe holding out for the Ragnarok.

DACs..too many to choose. Set a budget and state your preferences.

At this point I think I may just wait for Schiit's statement gear lol. One thing I like about the GS-X is that it has a separate power supply unit... Looks like this would offer more clarity. And I'm most likely going to keep one headphone for a good period of time "LCD-3" say 6 to 7 years or maybe even longer until some breakout headphone appears, lol. It looks like planar and electrostatic are going to be sticking around for awhile. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #2,721 of 3,541
I might be reading it wrong but what was clarity and a separate PS box have anything to do with each other

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,723 of 3,541
Separate power supply lets you keep the transformer away from the gain stage, ie no hum.  Directly stacked the transformer hum is audible on IEMs at high volume.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,724 of 3,541
Quote:
Separate power supply lets you keep the transformer away from the gain stage, ie no hum.  Directly stacked the transformer hum is audible on IEMs at high volume.*

*For some amps.

With good transformer design and good layout, it's really no problem having the transformer in the same chassis--and still have a totally silent design. 

When we experimented with two-chassis design at Sumo, we found that many transformers, especially flat-pack or C-core transformers, had more radiated field in the Z-axis than anywhere else. That means, they radiated out the top and bottom of the transformer, mostly.

When our two-chassis stuff was stacked, yep, you guessed it, the field radiating out of the top of the transformer in the power supply section got picked up by the preamp traces in the top chassis, and boom: hum. The same transformer sitting beside the same preamp board had no problems. 

So, with the two-chassis products, we had to tell people not to stack them...but they always wanted to.

We experimented with better core material, mu-metal shorting shields, etc, but we were never able to get rid of the hum entirely when components were stacked. When you couple it with the fact that the regulators should be closest to the circuit they're supplying for maximum performance (that is, not in another chassis), we eventually abandoned two-chassis designs. 

And this is why we now usually use single-chassis designs, EI-core or carefully wound C-core transformers, steel top subchassis, and careful transformer placement so you can stack, say, an Asgard 2 and a Bifrost, or a Mjolnir and a Gungnir, and not have any hum problems. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,725 of 3,541
Should have quoted the post... I was referring to the GS-X which hums when stacked but has a long enough umbilical to seperate by a few feet.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,728 of 3,541
How Jason sounds to non-engineers.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #2,730 of 3,541
Have been reading some reviews of this unit and noticed some reviews stating that the soundstage depth or centre sound is diminished even though with has increased.  IMO this is due to the disadvantages of headphones and a very good amplifier with good channel separation exposes headphones for what they are, ie transducers very close to either ear with very little mixing of left and right channels.

So a good balanced design will isolate channels more effctively, separating left and right better and on headphones this means?  Yup, wider soundstage with less phantom centre stage, made worse with closed headphones moreso than open air designs.  This has been my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back