Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,686 of 3,541
I moved up the Schiit line (Asgard 1, Bifrost, Valhalla, Asgard 2) and now have both the Mjolnir and Gungnir.  I am pretty happy with this.   It was a pain to convert my headphones to balanced, but now that its done, I'm super happy with the sound I'm getting from these.  I will gladly upgrade these with boards as they become available, but I don't see myself moving up the line any more.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,687 of 3,541
Quote:
I moved up the Schiit line (Asgard 1, Bifrost, Valhalla, Asgard 2) and now have both the Mjolnir and Gungnir.  I am pretty happy with this.   It was a pain to convert my headphones to balanced, but now that its done, I'm super happy with the sound I'm getting from these.  I will gladly upgrade these with boards as they become available, but I don't see myself moving up the line any more.

I've quoted you on that. 

We shall revisit this quote in a years time and if my calculations are correct you would have bought 5 more amps and 3 other dacs and have experimented with at least one cable...we shall see.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,689 of 3,541
Quote:

Yea, I think I'm pretty much in the same boat... mojo/gun seems to be the proper endgame... once I finish up on the cable.  Then I'll prob wait 2 years till the warranty on my Annies is up... then I'll get them reterminated to go balanced and be done. (Hopefully)

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,691 of 3,541
Quote:
Yea, I think I'm pretty much in the same boat... mojo/gun seems to be the proper endgame... once I finish up on the cable.  Then I'll prob wait 2 years till the warranty on my Annies is up... then I'll get them reterminated to go balanced and be done. (Hopefully)

Your going to wait 2 years until you get your headphones re cabled? 
blink.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,692 of 3,541
my HD 650s are balanced now... so I don't mind running the k702s Single ended. And after taking such a steep hit for mojo/gun I wanna give my wallet time to recover before taking more cable + recabling costs
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #2,693 of 3,541
I just received my LCD3 and Mjolinor and after about 30 minutes, the left side the headphone quit working. After testing my connection and swapping the connects to single ended mode, I still got the same result on my Lyr amp. I swapped out the LCD3 for my HD800 on the Lyr and no problem. So I have 2 questions. Is the phone failure common with the LCD3, and how would I go about finding balanced xlr cables that would fit the HD800?
The little time I had the LCD3 running on the Mjolinor, I thought I had finally achieved my audio slice of nirvana. I'm going to send them back and try again, but now I would really like to try the HD800 in balanced mode.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,694 of 3,541
Quote:
 Is the phone failure common with the LCD3?

Apparently, yes.  My right channel crapped out last month after 10 months of use.  Got an RMA from Audeze, they fixed them (replaced both transducers) and shipped them back the same day they got them.  Total time gone from my house: 5 days, going coast to coast and back. 

So contact them tomorrow, get an RMA and send them the phones.  They will fix them at no cost to you other than shipping.  However, if you JUST got them new, I would ask Audeze or whoever sold you the headphones to pay for shipping both ways.  The LCD-3s can handle 12 watts in, so assuming there was nothing wrong with the MJ, it should not have been able to harm the headphones.  If it did, I'd be all over Schiit to cover the headphone repair, and they seem to be the kind of people who would gladly do that.  But my first guess is a faulty transducer in the LCD-3s.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,696 of 3,541
Jun 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,698 of 3,541
Macbob:

I'll be really concerned if I have another problem, but their response time was so fast that if I never have another issue, I'll just be impressed by how good their customer service is. 

Note that I've talked to a few sellers, and they hadn't heard of any issues with the LCDs since last year when they fixed the early problems with the LCD-3s.  Of course, it is likely that most people with issues dealt directly with Audeze, like I did, so the sellers had no idea there was any problem. 

Note also that they are a small company, and if they were getting a high percentage of LCD-3s back, it is unlikely they would be able to fix and return them in a day.

Finally, Audeze has sold a LOT of headphones to head-fiers, and if there was a large problem, it would be all over these boards -- like their early LCD-3 problems were.  I haven't seen reports of widespread failures recently, so likely we just got unlucky, since a certain percentage of all manufactured products have defects, and even a 99% reliability record means that 1 of 100 of us gets one that breaks.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better...

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,700 of 3,541
Quote:
I just received my LCD3 and Mjolinor and after about 30 minutes, the left side the headphone quit working. After testing my connection and swapping the connects to single ended mode, I still got the same result on my Lyr amp. I swapped out the LCD3 for my HD800 on the Lyr and no problem. So I have 2 questions. Is the phone failure common with the LCD3, and how would I go about finding balanced xlr cables that would fit the HD800?
The little time I had the LCD3 running on the Mjolinor, I thought I had finally achieved my audio slice of nirvana. I'm going to send them back and try again, but now I would really like to try the HD800 in balanced mode.

I'd ask over at the LCD3 appreciation thread for how the exchange is done.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back