Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jun 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,656 of 3,541
Quote:
Need help with finding the right DAC for my Mjolnir and LCD-2 v.2.  Currently, I using my Oppo bdp-95 as the source running balanced to the Mjolnir.  I find the sound to be too forward for my liking.  I am looking for something to open up the sound stage and move the stage forward a little.  My budget is around $700 new or use.

I know this is probably an obvious suggestion, but I would consider getting your hands on a Gungnir which I think pairs beautifully with Mjolnir. You can always return it if you don't like it..

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,657 of 3,541
Quote:
I know this is probably an obvious suggestion, but I would consider getting your hands on a Gungnir which I think pairs beautifully with Mjolnir. You can always return it if you don't like it..

Thanks for the reply Erukian.  Been reading the Gungnir threat and the consensus seem to be "forward" sounding dac.   I'm looking for something to tame the forwardness of the Mjolnir/LCD-2 combo.  

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,659 of 3,541
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Erukian.  Been reading the Gungnir threat and the consensus seem to be "forward" sounding dac.   I'm looking for something to tame the forwardness of the Mjolnir/LCD-2 combo.  

If you're finding Mjolnir too forward with your current source, then yea, it may be best to go a different direction from Gungnir.

NAD M51, W4S DAC-2, Metrum Octave. I've also heard very good things about the
Audio-GD Master 7. Just to name a few.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,660 of 3,541
Can someone please explain what "forward" sounds like? Because I have the M/G combo and I have never heard anything I could call "forward". I have heard a non existent sound stage and lack of detail with LCD2r2s but nothing forward whatever that means.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,661 of 3,541
Quote:
Can someone please explain what "forward" sounds like? Because I have the M/G combo and I have never heard anything I could call "forward". I have heard a non existent sound stage and lack of detail with LCD2r2s but nothing forward whatever that means.

You have Audez'e headphones; they synergize greatly with the Schiit stack so it should sound proper to most ears! 
wink_face.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2,662 of 3,541
The LCD2r2s did sound really nice with the Schiit stack except for minimal soundstage and some lack of detail IMHO. Although I could have just kept those cans and been ok. I didn't wait for the new Silver Widow cable to arrive either and should have to see for myself if that cable was really going to make a difference in SQ. at any rate I chose to trade in the 2r2s for the LCD3s and will have to live with that decision. I was seriously on the fence about changing over to HD800 and fully intend to get those phones someday but was thinking about a tube amp to use with those cans.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,664 of 3,541
Quote:
Would still like to know what "forward" sounds like so I will know it if I hear it...

It's a term for aggressive. As opposed to laid back,
it helps in having experience with other gear to better differentiate the two.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,665 of 3,541
Quote:
Would still like to know what "forward" sounds like so I will know it if I hear it...

Think of glare. Voices tend to sound artificial, there are peaks that can be borderline irritating with wind instruments such as sax or flutes. It's not quite sharp sounding, but it's trebly.

It shouldn't aggravate the user too much, but you can definitely tell it's not accurate/neutral when the highs seem to be the most notable aspect of sound. Think AKG and Beyerdynamic for forward sounding headphones (for most of their mid-fi product)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,668 of 3,541

Quote:
Think of glare. Voices tend to sound artificial, there are peaks that can be borderline irritating with wind instruments such as sax or flutes. It's not quite sharp sounding, but it's trebly.

It shouldn't aggravate the user too much, but you can definitely tell it's not accurate/neutral when the highs seem to be the most notable aspect of sound. Think AKG and Beyerdynamic for forward sounding headphones (for most of their mid-fi product)

OK most definitely NEVER HAVE HEARD anything at all even resembling "forward" with my Mjo/Gung combo with the LCD2.2s. Never. Excessively trebly is a problem that [IMHO] no one is going to hear with the LCD2s. In fact vocals were just butter smooth. Mids too. What I did hear and it wasn't very often at all but still every now and then I would hear some lower-mid bass that just sounded like mud. I really attribute that to crappy recordings though. I just keep getting the nagging feeling that I tend to be one of those who wants to hear completely clear non-colored neutral aural reproduction with a definable sound stage and DETAILS. Definitely NOT a basshead. The LCD2s did sound really nice if I cranked 'em up to hear some detail but most of the time I don't want to induce ear ache to listen. Hopefully the LCD3s will prove to be just what I am looking for but it is really not much of a stretch to see some Stax 009 in my future someday... Prolly not any time soon though.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #2,669 of 3,541
Yes the audeze synergize great with the schiit stack, sorry if you misinterpreted that I was describing the phones. Was just giving a definition to the person wanting to know what forward sound is

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,670 of 3,541

Quote:
Yes the audeze synergize great with the schiit stack, sorry if you misinterpreted that I was describing the phones. Was just giving a definition to the person wanting to know what forward sound is

Thanks. Good explanation. And the LCDs do play nice with the Schiit M/G components. Still learning all the vernacular of audiophilia. Still as Dan said in a PM "The best components and cables and all that will not make a set of headphones be anything other than what they are". And so it is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back