Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Apr 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,627 of 3,541
I have been using the Mjolnir as my speaker preamp and it sounds pretty transparent, just like my built in preamp on my Wyred4Sound Dac 2.  Also a very significant step up from the Lyr.  With regard to value as a balanced headphone amp + speaker preamp, I think the Mjolnir is unmatched.  Then again, though, I have only heard a few preamps.

Still waiting on statement though... 

Out of curiosity who else is waiting on the statement amp?

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,628 of 3,541
I too am waiting on the statement amp (and DAC, for that matter.) Big question on the statement - tubes or transistors?

Right now, I'm leaning very much to the glass bottle side. Because as much as I dig the Mjolnir, I sometimes long for the sitting-by-the-fire-on-a-crisp-fall-evening-sipping-a-single-malt warmth that only tubes can provide. The Mjolnir, far all its addictive excitement, is about as warm and cuddly as Vladimir Putin. And just as effective.

I plan to buttonhole Jason at THEShow Newport next month, and try to pin him down as to when he plans to make his next raid on my wallet.

And while we're talking about using Schiit in the speakers system, the Gungnir DAC has been really enjoyable. Again, not warm or fuzzy, but boy does it bring out the details and throw a soundstage.

Oh, and Rrahman, I like your avatar.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,629 of 3,541
Waiting on statement amp (SS) and DAC. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,630 of 3,541
Quote:
Waiting on statement amp (SS) and DAC. 

Me too! But only because I plan on snatching up a Mjolnir / Gungnir 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,633 of 3,541
I just ordered the Mjolnir / Gungnir to go with my iBasso DX100 and LCD-2. My decision to get this Schiit combo was based, partly, on the positive comments in this thread. Looking forward to hearing my LCD-2 in fully balanced mode, and with some REAL power behind them. Also considered the Burson Conductor and the Bryston BHA-1. I figured I couldn't go wrong with any one one of these three, but in the end this Schitt combo seemed like the best for me. This is my first dedicated headphone amp.
Not to be picky, but you'd think Schiit would throw in the XLR interconnects for free when you ordered their top-of-the-line combo.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,635 of 3,541
Quote:

Yup me to.  Might as well get both.  Both should be less than the LAu.  IMO that amp is way overpriced.  

I agree. Could be due to dealer margins, but still. I'm not seeing a reasonable explanation for its price otherwise,
but am in the minority on that one, I suppose. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,636 of 3,541
Quote:
my Mjolnir is picking up some fm radio station anyone know how to eliminate,
it really sucks during quiet passages!

First, make sure not to have it jumbled up with a bunch of other electronics/ cables. Also, make sure you're using at least a power bar but ideally a line conditioner to have it grounded and avoid signal noise.

Changing the power chord can also help but that's not as dramatic.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #2,637 of 3,541
Quote:
my Mjolnir is picking up some fm radio station anyone know how to eliminate,
it really sucks during quiet passages!

According to a buddy who also has a Mjolnir, what you really need is an isolation transformer. A power conditioner won't do it.

Although, to get a radio station would seem to indicate that something, a big hairy cat's cradle of cables and power cords perhaps, is acting like an antenna.

Unless, of course, your gear is unintentionally intercepting the feed from an NSA surveillance operation...

If you're a DIY type, you could get some copper screen and build a Faraday cage around the unit. But this is only possible if you're a bachelor.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,639 of 3,541
Can you guys recommend a good isolation transformer? I have some buzzing with my amps and I'm hoping this will take care of that. The only one I've found so far is the Tripp Lite IS500 or the IS500HG. Any comments would be a big help.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,640 of 3,541
Quote:
Can you guys recommend a good isolation transformer? I have some buzzing with my amps and I'm hoping this will take care of that. The only one I've found so far is the Tripp Lite IS500 or the IS500HG. Any comments would be a big help.

I'd personally go with a Jensen but the Tripp Lite is also solid. Linky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back