Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Mar 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,611 of 3,541
Does anyone have recent information as to when we can expect Schiit to release their Statement amps? The last I heard from Schiit (at last summer's hifi show in Orange County) was that we should expect an announcement last October. Obviously, that did not happen.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #2,613 of 3,541
Chris Himself has cheap cables. HE500 might benefit from jergpads.
Quote:
What balanced cables are you using with your HE-500?  The cheapest I can find are the actual HiFiMan Balanced cables ($150).  Is something else required to make the HE-500 sound good with this amp?  It's a bonus that the HiFiMan Balanced Cables come with a 1/4" adaptor.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,614 of 3,541
HE500 sounds great with this set up, I didn't like the HE500 before I heard it on my Mjo/Gung. They're really close to the LCD2 and none is better than the other, except LCD2 is more expensive, but more comfortable imo.
Quote:
I've been using my Mjolnir/Gungnir and LCD2's for just over 2 weeks and after a good 50-75 hours it sounds really good.  At first I was really disappointed and could barely listen to the combo, but now I love it.  Part of this was getting used to the overall signature of a balanced system.  

I'm really curious to see how the HE500's sound in this set up.     

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,615 of 3,541
That's a terrible way of reasoning. Nothing is superior to the other because it all comes down to personal preference. HD800 is just really well known as rrahman said, so it's going to get more comparisons than others. Nothing implies they are the gold standard.
Quote:
So the Sen. HD800 is generally thought to be superior over the LCD 2's or 3's? From reading many threads it would appear the only other cans worthy of consideration would be the HD800 or HE6. With a huge emphasis on the HD800. Almost all comparisons involve the HD800 by a huge margin. This would seem to imply that the HD800 phones are the ones to buy since they are the gold standard in practically every comparison? 

I just got a set of Audeze LCD 2.2 and plan on listening to everything on them. I expect those cans with the Mjolnir/Gungnir will be good enough for me. Someday way in the future may pick up some HD800's to compare to the LCD2's. 

I'm selling my LCD3 because I like my LCD2 better, but prefer the HD800 over both. Personal preference. :) Cheers
Quote:
I wouldn't say this is the case.  I don't think there is a general consensus on which headphone is better, each headphone has very large followings and excels at different things.  The only reason everything is compared to the HD800 is because of the three headphones you mention its the oldest and most well known.  I personally favor the LCD3 over hd800, so much so that I sold my hd800 after purchasing the LCD3.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,616 of 3,541
Chris Himself has cheap cables. HE500 might benefit from jergpads.

I was asking Currawong. Jergpad requires destroying my velours to modify the pleathers, so I'm not really interested.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,617 of 3,541
All part of modding. But look into it more, see what kind of sound it gives. It might bring enough confidence for a truly better sound that you might take the risk and try it. :| 
Quote:
I was asking Currawong. Jergpad requires destroying my velours to modify the pleathers, so I'm not really interested.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,618 of 3,541
Quote:
What balanced cables are you using with your HE-500?  The cheapest I can find are the actual HiFiMan Balanced cables ($150).  Is something else required to make the HE-500 sound good with this amp?  It's a bonus that the HiFiMan Balanced Cables come with a 1/4" adaptor.

I re-terminated the HiFiMan copper cables to balanced. And also the jergpads. The jergpads give the the HE500 a little bit more "Audeze", that is muscle down in the low bass and also open them up in the treble. Wider stage and a bit more air.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,619 of 3,541
I meant Purrin, not Currawong....weird that I typed the other.  Thanks for the reply, Purrin.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,620 of 3,541
I just picked up a used Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 (silver conductor) cable for my LCD2's and find that it makes a pretty big difference over my Toxic Cable Black Widow (copper conductor).  They're both great but there's enough of a change that I can switch back and forth depending on what I'm listening to.  So yeah, if you can try different cable materials you might be happier.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #2,621 of 3,541
Just upgraded myself to the Mjolnir this week, so thought I would chime in my praise as well.  I am using the HifiMan HE-4.  I was previously on the Schiit Valhalla (which probably was more suited for my previous DT990 600 ohms anyway) but the different between the two (and upgrade to the HifiMan Balanced cable) was noticeable.  I initially kept my Bifrost (since my Gungnir didn't arrive at the same time).  Using the Bifrost on the two amps with the HE-4s, I noticed that everything increased.  The most noticeable for me was the increase in mid-bass and mid-treble.  I think the treble extension might have been pretty similar for me between the two amps, but you could feel that there was more "force" behind the Mjolnir. When I turned the volume up, it got more exciting rather than more thin and prone to distortion.  Again, the Valhalla probably wasn't a very good match.  

The following day my Gungnir arrived and I got to swap out the Bifrost and go balanced.  I'll post those impressions over in that thread....

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,622 of 3,541
Quote:
I just picked up a used Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 (silver conductor) cable for my LCD2's and find that it makes a pretty big difference over my Toxic Cable Black Widow (copper conductor).  They're both great but there's enough of a change that I can switch back and forth depending on what I'm listening to. 

Exciting, I also have a black widow from Franck and find it wonderful over Mjorlnir and LCD2.  
Would you be agree with these ?

- black widow is more body, textured than the stock cable. Even if stock is more body than white widow as you told yourself.
- At the opposite, the White should be faster with more detailled trebbles compared to the Black.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,623 of 3,541
Quote:

Exciting, I also have a black widow from Franck and find it wonderful over Mjorlnir and LCD2.  
Would you be agree with these ?

Yeah, I find the Black Widow to be warmer than the Silver Dragon V3 and better suited to certain recordings (ie: classic rock).  I really like the Silver Dragon V3 for pushing the voices up a bit and taking away the Audeze's warmth/darkness for other recordings.  Last night I was listening to the Cure best of album and V3 was amazing with it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #2,625 of 3,541
anyone using the mjolnir as a preamp for speakers ?

Yes. I've used the Mojo as both a preamp and integrated amp (it will drive high-efficiency) for speakers.

Quote:
does it color the sound in any way ?  

Not that I could tell. The Mjolnir as pre-amp has a much less characteristic sound than the Mjolnir driving headphones. I presume because as a pre-amp, the Mjolnir gets to handle a much easier load.

Quote:
and how is the sensitivity of the volume knob

It depends on your amp's gain. The sensitivity of the volume knob has been good (wide range - typically at 11 o'clock) with two amps I've tried with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back