Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,596 of 3,541
i got my mjolnir coming in friday , anxious to see how it pairs with my LCD2.2 , I already got a Q cable with 4 pin xlr.  
I can also use that same cable with my he500(currently using with lafigaro 339 ) since I picked up the earring adapters from Q, haven't heard much of the mjolnir + he500 combo and if that works well.

So how much am I losing but not having a balanced dac? (currently have a unbalanced havana).

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2,597 of 3,541
Has anyone tried to drive IEMs with Mjolnir? I know its way overkill, but am curious if I should get some balanced cables for my JH Audios to at least try...?
thanks

It drives my JH-13s beautifully. But I don't have balanced cables to compare to the mjolnir with them. The only full sized cans I have are the LCD-3 and the he-6, and with them it's not even a comparison. The d2 can't really drive either of the orthos particularly well

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,598 of 3,541
Balancing doesn't do anything for IEMs in my experience.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,599 of 3,541
Quote:
i got my mjolnir coming in friday , anxious to see how it pairs with my LCD2.2 , I already got a Q cable with 4 pin xlr.  
I can also use that same cable with my he500(currently using with lafigaro 339 ) since I picked up the earring adapters from Q, haven't heard much of the mjolnir + he500 combo and if that works well.

So how much am I losing but not having a balanced dac? (currently have a unbalanced havana).

It depends more on the quality dac imo. I have a Anedio D1 and Yulong D18. The D1 is unbalanced while the D18 is balanced. I would say the D1 is superior connected via RCA than the D18 via XLR. While they are both good dacs the D1 is on a higher level. Of course I don't have anything comparable that is balanced and unbalanced so not sure if that helps much.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,600 of 3,541
I got my mnoljir on Friday, out of the box it sounded a little rough and edgy I've have been running it 24/7 for the last 3 days so it sounds a bit smoother.  
But I did hear good potential in it.  I wonder how long before it mellows out completely and I can evaluate it.

I'm really surprised though this amp hardly gets warm to the touch, I had the Asgard and that used to run quite warm after an hour.
Only the bottom of the amp seems to get warm, is the Mjolnir not biased that much into class A?

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,601 of 3,541
Quote:

Mojo + HE500 is a great combo, I honestly don't know if I would go for any other (unless you want tubes, or throw in a power amp at the end) if you like the HE-500.

You are losing out a tiny bit on the space and low level detail retrieval aspects without a balanced DAC. The Mojo did respond when I connected balanced inputs from my two balanced DACs (compared to the SE outputs of those DACs.) It's not a big deal or something to get neurotic about. Enjoying music is better than OCD.

Quote:
I got my mnoljir on Friday, out of the box it sounded a little rough and edgy I've have been running it 24/7 for the last 3 days so it sounds a bit smoother.  
But I did hear good potential in it.  I wonder how long before it mellows out completely and I can evaluate it.

Just leave it on. I leave it on all the time, or at least power it up 8 hours before I plan on listening to it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,602 of 3,541
Quote:

Mojo + HE500 is a great combo, I honestly don't know if I would go for any other (unless you want tubes, or throw in a power amp at the end) if you like the HE-500.

You are losing out a tiny bit on the space and low level detail retrieval aspects without a balanced DAC. The Mojo did respond when I connected balanced inputs from my two balanced DACs (compared to the SE outputs of those DACs.) It's not a big deal or something to get neurotic about. Enjoying music is better than OCD.

Just leave it on. I leave it on all the time, or at least power it up 8 hours before I plan on listening to it.

ha you really know your stuff and must be a mind reader.  I know the LCD's and the mjolnir were suppose to be the cat's meow.  but  when I listened something sounded off to me and bothered me so that I didnt want to listen too much to that combo (maybe because the amp is quite new).  
But when I hooked up the he500s I could immediately tell the amp had real potential, the tiimbre of instruments sounded very good.  
hopefully it comes around with the LCDs too because I really love the hd500s with the lafigaro 339.  
I got the mjolnir with the LCDs in mind but we'll see how it goes.    

sometimes things you expect to work out don't and sometimes unexpected combos work better. All these amps and headphones, I feel like a matchmaker!!

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,603 of 3,541
I do try to read minds, or at least ascertain where someone in coming from, taking into consideration of their gear.

Some LCD2.2s do have a little bit of treble ringing and/or rough response. I don't know if this is what you are hearing. Despite the LCD2.2's shelved down treble, some people can still hear (and don't like) this uneven treble. In order to have smoother more refined treble, you need to give Audeze more money and upgrade to the LCD3. The problem with the Mojo may be that it's too dogmatically vigilant. It's not as forgiving compared to some tube amps.

I don't believe in burn-in that much, but I did feel the Mjolnir sounded much smoother and more detailed over time (and after it warms up). It could have been me adjusting to its sound however.

Curious: How long have you owned the LCD2s? Did you (not) like them with the 339?

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,605 of 3,541
Quote:
I do try to read minds, or at least ascertain where someone in coming from, taking into consideration of their gear.

Some LCD2.2s do have a little bit of treble ringing and/or rough response. I don't know if this is what you are hearing. Despite the LCD2.2's shelved down treble, some people can still hear (and don't like) this uneven treble. In order to have smoother more refined treble, you need to give Audeze more money and upgrade to the LCD3. The problem with the Mojo may be that it's too dogmatically vigilant. It's not as forgiving compared to some tube amps.

I don't believe in burn-in that much, but I did feel the Mjolnir sounded much smoother and more detailed over time (and after it warms up). It could have been me adjusting to its sound however.

Curious: How long have you owned the LCD2s? Did you (not) like them with the 339?

I've had the LCD2.2's for 1.5 years.  I really haven't tried them with the 339 as I heard it wasn't a a good combination. I thought solid state (v200 or Mjolnir) was the way to go or you don't get much drive or oomph from them , but I'll give it a try tonight.
I'd really like to get a LCD3 but Im so satisfied with hd650/crack and 339/he500, its hard to justify 3 separate rigs. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,606 of 3,541
Quote:
I've had the LCD2.2's for 1.5 years.  I really haven't tried them with the 339 as I heard it wasn't a a good combination. I thought solid state (v200 or Mjolnir) was the way to go or you don't get much drive or oomph from them , but I'll give it a try tonight.
I'd really like to get a LCD3 but Im so satisfied with hd650/crack and 339/he500, its hard to justify 3 separate rigs. 

It's possible you may simply not like the LCD2.2's tonal balance if you still don't like them from the Mjolnir. (The HD650/crack combos I've heard have been excellent BTW.) The other possibility may be that your LCD2s may have degraded to a "veiled" sounding state. My friends Ringingears and Questhate experienced this with their LCD2.2s, which they have also owned for a while. They sent their LCD2s in to Audeze for a check up, and Audeze took care of them with replaced drivers.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,607 of 3,541
Quote:
Detail is a collection of definitions grouped together. It's the attributes that combine to give a 'finished' sound. All the 'details' have been done, so it is finished. Much as a paint job is not finished until it has been sanded smooth and clear coated, a sound is not finished until it has the definition and sharpness that makes it sound like something you can recognize. I think perhaps you are confusing detail with texture, which is present at all frequency levels.

Have you heard both LCD-2 and HD800 on a low-fi and hi-fi system? What Solude says is true. And yes, there is a chasm between the LCD-2 and HD800 in regard to detail. I'm not using fancy aftermarket cables either. My HD800 cable is the cheapest balanced cable I could get made and I'm using the stock LCD-2 balanced cable.

So the Sen. HD800 is generally thought to be superior over the LCD 2's or 3's? From reading many threads it would appear the only other cans worthy of consideration would be the HD800 or HE6. With a huge emphasis on the HD800. Almost all comparisons involve the HD800 by a huge margin. This would seem to imply that the HD800 phones are the ones to buy since they are the gold standard in practically every comparison? 

I just got a set of Audeze LCD 2.2 and plan on listening to everything on them. I expect those cans with the Mjolnir/Gungnir will be good enough for me. Someday way in the future may pick up some HD800's to compare to the LCD2's. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,608 of 3,541
Quote:
So the Sen. HD800 is generally thought to be superior over the LCD 2's or 3's? From reading many threads it would appear the only other cans worthy of consideration would be the HD800 or HE6. With a huge emphasis on the HD800. Almost all comparisons involve the HD800 by a huge margin. This would seem to imply that the HD800 phones are the ones to buy since they are the gold standard in practically every comparison? 

I just got a set of Audeze LCD 2.2 and plan on listening to everything on them. I expect those cans with the Mjolnir/Gungnir will be good enough for me. Someday way in the future may pick up some HD800's to compare to the LCD2's. 

I wouldn't say this is the case.  I don't think there is a general consensus on which headphone is better, each headphone has very large followings and excels at different things.  The only reason everything is compared to the HD800 is because of the three headphones you mention its the oldest and most well known.  I personally favor the LCD3 over hd800, so much so that I sold my hd800 after purchasing the LCD3.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #2,609 of 3,541
I've been using my Mjolnir/Gungnir and LCD2's for just over 2 weeks and after a good 50-75 hours it sounds really good.  At first I was really disappointed and could barely listen to the combo, but now I love it.  Part of this was getting used to the overall signature of a balanced system.  

I'm really curious to see how the HE500's sound in this set up.     

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,610 of 3,541
Quote:

What balanced cables are you using with your HE-500?  The cheapest I can find are the actual HiFiMan Balanced cables ($150).  Is something else required to make the HE-500 sound good with this amp?  It's a bonus that the HiFiMan Balanced Cables come with a 1/4" adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back