Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Dec 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,161 of 3,541
I'm almost getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mjolnir but recapping some of the reviews has me nervous cause a lot of people mention how bright and aggressive it is.  The one thing I can stand is too much brightness and that's why bought the LCD-2 which is so smooth and nice in this respect.  I'm gonna use it with the Bifrost at first and I can't match it with a Gungnir just yet.  Should I be concerned or should I just roll the dice?

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2,162 of 3,541
Quote:
I'm almost getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mjolnir but recapping some of the reviews has me nervous cause a lot of people mention how bright and aggressive it is.  The one thing I can stand is too much brightness and that's why bought the LCD-2 which is so smooth and nice in this respect.  I'm gonna use it with the Bifrost at first and I can't match it with a Gungnir just yet.  Should I be concerned or should I just roll the dice?

Roll the dice. 

The Mjolnir sounded harsh out of the box, but with burn-in smoothed out.
However it is an forward sounding amp, not laid back and very engaging.
I haven't found it harsh nor fatiguing.

The Bifrost is a bit harsh compared to Gungnir, but I don't think it should present any problems.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2,163 of 3,541
I would roll the dice. I bet you'll get used to it in a heartbeat and love it. IMO. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2,164 of 3,541
Quote:
Roll the dice. 

The Mjolnir sounded harsh out of the box, but with burn-in smoothed out.
However it is an forward sounding amp, not laid back and very engaging.
I haven't found it harsh nor fatiguing.

The Bifrost is a bit harsh compared to Gungnir, but I don't think it should present any problems.

Do you have experience with the Lyr?  Would you say it's more forward sounding than the Lyr?

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2,165 of 3,541
Quote:

Do you have experience with the Lyr?  Would you say it's more forward sounding than 

Yes. However Mjolnir is just flat out better than Lyr across the entire spectrum.
So the only similarities they share are that they're both Schiit.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #2,167 of 3,541
DIY question here: my Mjolnir should be turning up today, but my balanced headphone cable won't be turning up until mid January.  Do the pins on a conventional interconnect or microphone xlr match the pin configuration on a headphone output xlr? In other words, if I cut an old interconnect in half, ignore the shield and attach the red/white cables inside to my headphone cable - will that work?

Edit: just to be clear, I've cut off the end of the headphone cable too, so its a bare wire to bare wire connection.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,168 of 3,541
I never said the BHA-1 wasn't balanced, it is.  You however did say others are cheating, and they aren't.  

You are ok with Bryston running an inverting amplifier with gain into another at unity gain and then AC coupling.  That's cool.  All I've ever said is that the design is terrible and like other designs that never should have been green lit, I won't be supporting it.  My hope is Bryston notices the market is strong and worth an honest effort.

If it makes you feel better that list of amps is pretty long and most on the list cost more than the  Bryston :p

Solude, have you listened to the Bryston?

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #2,171 of 3,541
I never said the BHA-1 wasn't balanced, it is.  You however did say others are cheating, and they aren't.  

You are ok with Bryston running an inverting amplifier with gain into another at unity gain and then AC coupling.  That's cool.  All I've ever said is that the design is terrible and like other designs that never should have been green lit, I won't be supporting it.  My hope is Bryston notices the market is strong and worth an honest effort.

If it makes you feel better that list of amps is pretty long and most on the list cost more than the  Bryston :p

The design is terrible?

You hope Bryston makes an honest effort?

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, 'cos it is......
Obviously you have no idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about.

On a much less serious note, Santa will be hearing about this!:D

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #2,175 of 3,541

Users who are viewing this thread

Back