Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2,101 of 3,541
Quote:
Geez, can't somebody please hate the LCD-3s with the Mjolnir and Gungnir?  I'm trying to be a responsible adult here and not spend all of my money on head gear... I've already plunked down close to $4K in the last 6 months...Haven't I done enough, at least for a while?

Only love from me for Thors Hammer. 

Mjolner is pretty spectacular with the LCD-3 (have only tested so far using Zodiac Gold as source, will test some other sources I have here soon).  Not to mention I also am digging use of the Mjolner as a pre to some monitors. 

I think its Hammer time for you Gary! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  sorry about the wallet!

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2,102 of 3,541
Okay, are there any headphones the Mjolnir doesn't pair well with? I definitely have no complaints with my LCD2 bamboo's.

From what I can gather, it's a completely neutral setup, so any issues have probably more to do with the actual headphone. Is this the consensus? 

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #2,103 of 3,541
My experience was dark source, W4S DAC-2, arguably dark headphone, LCD-3... on the Mjolnir was a pretty lit up, forward affair.  The Peak, which is often thought of as bright or edgy or some other aggressive word, is less forward, more bassy.  So if we agree that something like a GS-1, Soloist or B22 are neutral in this price bracket, the Peak is brighter, the Mjolnir brighter still.  Or if not bright at least more forward and with better clarity.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #2,104 of 3,541
Okay, are there any headphones the Mjolnir doesn't pair well with? I definitely have no complaints with my LCD2 bamboo's.

From what I can gather, it's a completely neutral setup, so any issues have probably more to do with the actual headphone. Is this the consensus? 

I was curious how the he500s would sound out of the mjolnir after listening to them with the lcd3s and it the he500s were unlistenable, listened for 5 seconds, yanked them out hahahaa

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,105 of 3,541
Quote:
I was curious how the he500s would sound out of the mjolnir after listening to them with the lcd3s and it the he500s were unlistenable, listened for 5 seconds, yanked them out hahahaa

Really? I listen to the HE-500s with the Mjolnir as my main rig and absolutely love it. What are you using for your source? 

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2,106 of 3,541
Another consideration, maybe the synergy wasn't quite there?
Quote:
My experience was dark source, W4S DAC-2, arguably dark headphone, LCD-3... on the Mjolnir was a pretty lit up, forward affair.  The Peak, which is often thought of as bright or edgy or some other aggressive word, is less forward, more bassy.  So if we agree that something like a GS-1, Soloist or B22 are neutral in this price bracket, the Peak is brighter, the Mjolnir brighter still.  Or if not bright at least more forward and with better clarity.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2,109 of 3,541
It depends on your personal tastes/ sound preferences, music selection and obviously set-up.

Out of my gung/mjolnir (with audioquest power cable and usb/ DHC nucleotide xlr interconnects), my favorite headphone is the HE-6 and closely followed by the HD800. My LCD-3 sound a bit too laid-back (may have to change the cable as it too is pure copper), but do get some headtime for when I listen to the odd electro/hip hop/funk tracks.

It's a matter of configuration, preferences and music selection.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #2,110 of 3,541
Preference for sure. As an FYI silver on the LCD range just added grain and even more flat sound. Copper on the other hand increased dynamics and smoothed out the treble.

Only a handful of people like both the LCD-3 and the HE-6 or HD800.  I for one could never live with the HD800 despite trying a few times.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #2,111 of 3,541
Quote:
Preference for sure. As an FYI silver on the LCD range just added grain and even more flat sound. Copper on the other hand increased dynamics and smoothed out the treble.

Only a handful of people like both the LCD-3 and the HE-6 or HD800.  I for one could never live with the HD800 despite trying a few times.

You obviousy listened with the wrong silver cable
wink_face.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2,112 of 3,541
...Only a handful of people like both the LCD-3 and the HE-6 or HD800.  I for one could never live with the HD800 despite trying a few times.

It really seems like a lot of people fall into one camp or the other, based on well they tolerate/enjoy upper-mid and treble energy. Zach listened to the HE-500s out of my Mjolnir+Gungnir rig and I also found they were nearly unlistenable, with a strident harshness that stretched from the mids through the treble. Switching to my Lyr being fed out of the same Gungnir, the HE500 sounded like a different (and much better) headphone--with the harshness tamed. As a point of reference, I greatly prefer the LCD2/3 sound compared to HE-6 and can't tolerate the HD800. Conversely, the HE-6/HD800 lovers often hate the warmer LCD sound.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,114 of 3,541
Quote:
It really seems like a lot of people fall into one camp or the other, based on well they tolerate/enjoy upper-mid and treble energy. Zach listened to the HE-500s out of my Mjolnir+Gungnir rig and I also found they were nearly unlistenable, with a strident harshness that stretched from the mids through the treble. Switching to my Lyr being fed out of the same Gungnir, the HE500 sounded like a different (and much better) headphone--with the harshness tamed. As a point of reference, I greatly prefer the LCD2/3 sound compared to HE-6 and can't tolerate the HD800. Conversely, the HE-6/HD800 lovers often hate the warmer LCD sound.

Can you like them all?  I do..  However, I do like some better than others.  All in all I do have love for most of the Flagships..  Still trying to hear the PS1000..

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2,115 of 3,541
Quote:

Can you like them all?  I do..  However, I do like some better than others.  All in all I do have love for most of the Flagships..  Still trying to hear the PS1000..

Don't hold your breath...the RS-1s are still my favourite Grados. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back