Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Nov 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,891 of 3,541
Quote:

What problems were you having with the Lyr/Gungnir to necessitate investment in the Tripp Lite?

I also bought the tripp lite medical grade 500W unit. My MJ is on a totally separate circuit than my A/C and other appliances, but I would hear pops when the AC turns on, or buzzing when the stove/oven was on. I've tried furman pf 1800 and it didn't filter the noise. The tripplite transformer did the trick. The transformer has a distinct paint smell to it when you first open it, but it goes away after a few weeks.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,892 of 3,541
Mjol in da house !!!

Awaiting balanced HP cables for HD 800, and also an LCD 2.2 and balanced cable.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,893 of 3,541
Nov 20, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #1,894 of 3,541
^ John, not sure what the specific differences are, but the medical grade isolation transformers are the ones mainly referred to. You're not hearing pops and crackle from the Mjolnir are you?

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=840&txtModelID=230

Does anyone know if the Tripp Lite can be purchased for use in Australia (230V), with the appropriate outputs and plug?

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #1,895 of 3,541
Tortech in Oz make some audio grade isolation transformers - can't find them easily on their site, but I spoke to them and they advised me of models (forgot to write down - think they were 1 & 2 kVA). They also make medical quality stuff too.

I'm interested because I want to protect my growing HP gear investment. 
redface.gif

No probs with line noise here.

Cheers,

R

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #1,897 of 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ John, not sure what the specific differences are, but the medical grade isolation transformers are the ones mainly referred to. You're not hearing pops and crackle from the Mjolnir are you?

. . .

Yeah, will look into specs & compare to Tortech stuff.
Haven't found Tripp Lite in OZ. They used to be here about 11 years ago, but pulled out. Don't know about now.

Haven't listened to Mjol yet as waiting for balanced cables. Using HD 800 with Asgard or Crack at present, from da Gung.

Cheers,

R

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #1,898 of 3,541

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfmtxtSeriesID=840&txtModelID=230

Does anyone know if the Tripp Lite can be purchased for use in Australia (230V), with the appropriate outputs and plug?

The Hospital Grade will have receptacels with more clamping force and a better plug. It will also have lower leakage current which is probably irrelevant for your problems.

Make sure your house or apartment has effective grounding, an isolation transformer is no substitute for poor grounding.
There should be less than 0.2 Volts from ground to neutral at your residential receptacles.
But there is no substitute for checking your grounding.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #1,899 of 3,541
Already in talks with Tortech, but thanks for mentioning them anyway. :beerchug:

I'm looking at the ISO-300ES with additional outputs.

Bizarre.
The output winding MUST be grounded. Period.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,900 of 3,541
The phorographer probably doesnt think too much about heat. Lots of show off picks stacks the CD-player on top, because they have no grills in the cover and the knobs of the amplifier are more discrete when at the bottom of the pile - visually...
Quote:
on the SCHIIT website it looks like this

The Schiit page also has this pic:

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,901 of 3,541
Quote:
The phorographer probably doesnt think too much about heat. Lots of show off picks stacks the CD-player on top, because they have no grills in the cover and the knobs of the amplifier are more discrete when at the bottom of the pile - visually...

The Schiit page also has this pic:

Eww, I never noticed that picture issue Slade pointed out....I'm surprised that picture would be up there at all!

The manual itself (or was it the FAQ?) clearly states to put the amp on top and not to cover the vents.  That said, I find the MJ does not run all that hot at all.  It's nothing compared to Lyr which is nothing compared to Asgard, and none of that is much of anything next to an Onkyo AVR with an Anchor Bay video processor....  It gets warm, but definitely not hot.  But I still wouldn't go stacking stuff over the vents.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,902 of 3,541
When interconnects have arrows, always point them in the direction the music is travelling. If you're going from a DAC to an amp, the arrows point at the amp. As best I can discover, it has to do with shielding being connected (or grounded, or something like that) at one or both ends of the cable. Depends on the makers' philosophy, I suppose...

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #1,905 of 3,541
Quote:
Okay, so I just ordered the LCD-3 to find out how it performs with the Mjolnir and Gungnir. Will I appreciate the combo or hear something awry with this setup? 

Why would you hear something awry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back