Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Nov 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,861 of 3,541
You come up with the funniest Schiit! I thought I read it somewhere. No reason, I was just wondering. Thanks Jason!

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,862 of 3,541
Quote:

Where'd you get this idea? Mjolnir doesn't need inputs to be stable, or outputs not to burn up, you don't have to plug and unplug headphones, nor do you have to twirl by the light of the full moon with a dead chicken in your arms in order to appease the Circlotron God in order to have it run right. In terms of operational oddities, it's a totally boring amp.

Damm it, I was looking forward to that
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,863 of 3,541
JoBu doesn't need a bucket of chicken to run the Mjolnir?

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gndH9mhHPk0[/VIDEO]

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,864 of 3,541
Whole planets in distant galaxies may be gobbled up by dark matter every time someone plugs or unplugs a mjolnir. With this circlotron technology, there's no knowing...:D

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,865 of 3,541
Tube amps have some oddities that make them not liking having a load.

Quote:
You come up with the funniest Schiit! I thought I read it somewhere. No reason, I was just wondering. Thanks Jason!

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,866 of 3,541
Tube amps have some oddities that make them not liking having a load.

Correct, with my Woo I keep the headphones plugged in at all times unless I'm in preamp mode, for this I was instructed to keep a load plug in the TRS port; not for safety but for SQ. For safety I turn down the volume before switching it off, and turn it back up after the pre-heat is finished when switching it back on.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,867 of 3,541
I bought a Tripp Lite isolation transformer after reading the suggestions here. I got the 500W hospital grade unit. Very heavy piece of equipment! The effect on sound quality was quite subtle, basically a bit more micro-detail and very quiet backgrounds. This was with my Gungnir/Lyr/HE500 setup. I can't try it with my Mjolnir until the balanced cables come in. I don't think I would recommend it to someone unless they have a serious problem with their power supply, or they have optimized every other component in their audio setup and just want a final tweak.
The unit itself runs fairly quiet, just a mild hum if you get right next to it. It's also cool running, just barely warm after a few hours of use.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,868 of 3,541
Quote:
I bought a Tripp Lite isolation transformer after reading the suggestions here. I got the 500W hospital grade unit. Very heavy piece of equipment! The effect on sound quality was quite subtle, basically a bit more micro-detail and very quiet backgrounds. This was with my Gungnir/Lyr/HE500 setup. I can't try it with my Mjolnir until the balanced cables come in. I don't think I would recommend it to someone unless they have a serious problem with their power supply, or they have optimized every other component in their audio setup and just want a final tweak.
The unit itself runs fairly quiet, just a mild hum if you get right next to it. It's also cool running, just barely warm after a few hours of use.

What problems were you having with the Lyr/Gungnir to necessitate investment in the Tripp Lite?

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,869 of 3,541
I wasn't having any problems with them, I just wanted to see if I could extract every last bit of performance from the equipment. Plus, the wiring in my house is almost 50 years old, and I didn't want to take a chance that it might be hurting the sound quality. It will be interesting to see if the Mjolnir benefits from the isolation transformer, but that's atleast a week away.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,870 of 3,541
Quote:
I wasn't having any problems with them, I just wanted to see if I could extract every last bit of performance from the equipment. Plus, the wiring in my house is almost 50 years old, and I didn't want to take a chance that it might be hurting the sound quality. It will be interesting to see if the Mjolnir benefits from the isolation transformer, but that's atleast a week away.

Can you please test the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack with and without the isolation transformer? It may go towards identifying a possible solution for those finding the Mjolnir susceptible to "dirty power".

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,871 of 3,541
Well, I bought it, and it seems to work. I haven't heard any problems...

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,872 of 3,541
Quote:
Running the Mjölnir without anything plugged into the inputs will cause something bad to happen, right?

The confusion might be the number of inputs you can keep plugged in simultaneously. Quoting from the owner's manual, page headed Back Panel:

"Important: connect only one pair of inputs at a time (RCA or XLR). The inputs are shared, so you're shorting them together if you connect both RCA and XLR."

I think it's called the Five Thumbs Principle - "When all else fails, read the instructions."

Or in military terms, RTFM - Read the ******* Manual.

Which applies to all of us males, me especially. There was a classic Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, where the kid was putting together a model and the tiger asked, aren't you going to look at the instructions and the kid replied "Do I look like a wimp?"

Also interested in your experience with the isolation gizmo. I've had noise from time to time in my Mjolnir, usually after a heavy listening session. So I attributed it to overheating of the unit. But the other evening it started after 20 minutes. I kept on listening anyway and it was gone after the next cd. Now I'm wondering if I need a transformer of my own. The frustration is, it's an intermittent problem (like the car noise that disappears the minute you take the car to the mechanic) so it's nearly impossible to know when it's really fixed...

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,873 of 3,541
Quote:

The confusion might be the number of inputs you can keep plugged in simultaneously. Quoting from the owner's manual, page headed Back Panel:

"Important: connect only one pair of inputs at a time (RCA or XLR). The inputs are shared, so you're shorting them together if you connect both RCA and XLR."

I think it's called the Five Thumbs Principle - "When all else fails, read the instructions."

Or in military terms, RTFM - Read the ******* Manual.

Which applies to all of us males, me especially. There was a classic Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, where the kid was putting together a model and the tiger asked, aren't you going to look at the instructions and the kid replied "Do I look like a wimp?"

Also interested in your experience with the isolation gizmo. I've had noise from time to time in my Mjolnir, usually after a heavy listening session. So I attributed it to overheating of the unit. But the other evening it started after 20 minutes. I kept on listening anyway and it was gone after the next cd. Now I'm wondering if I need a transformer of my own. The frustration is, it's an intermittent problem (like the car noise that disappears the minute you take the car to the mechanic) so it's nearly impossible to know when it's really fixed...

He was asking if you connect no inputs on the back and still turn it on, not if you connect both.

The issue you're having with power could be intermittent. The power supply from the power company does fluctuate in voltage and quality depending on the time of the day

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,875 of 3,541
Sweet looking pile, Slade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back