Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,502 of 3,541
OT in another tread - so copied here where it belongs:

The Soloist is less fun than the Mjolnir. I could fall asleep listening to the Soloist with some good music playing (i.e. a good thing actually). I would really strive to get some sleep using the Mjolnir. 

Having switched back and forth between the Soloist and the Mjolnir (using the LCD-3 and DAC V800), the difference in the amplifiers sound signature is significant. I would dare to say that the Soloist is "boring" and the Mjolnir is "engaging". And in addition, the Soloist is de facto tuned a tad more bright than the Mjolnir. That does not mean the Soloist is bright.

The soundstage depth of the Mjolnir is less than the Soloist. The width not that different - if you listen carefully. The "lack" of depth of the Mjolnir tends to impose the impression that the Mjolnir sounds wider...

Disclaimer: Long time listening impressions. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,503 of 3,541
It is continually interesting to see how different amps affect people.The quest for "Your" perfect fit is a big part of the fun.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,504 of 3,541
Quote:
OT in another tread - so copied here where it belongs:

The Soloist is less fun than the Mjolnir. I could fall asleep listening to the Soloist with some good music playing (i.e. a good thing actually). I would really strive to get some sleep using the Mjolnir. 

Having switched back and forth between the Soloist and the Mjolnir (using the LCD-3 and DAC V800), the difference in the amplifiers sound signature is significant. I would dare to say that the Soloist is "boring" and the Mjolnir is "engaging". And in addition, the Soloist is de facto tuned a tad more bright than the Mjolnir. That does not mean the Soloist is bright.

The soundstage depth of the Mjolnir is less than the Soloist. The width not that different - if you listen carefully. The "lack" of depth of the Mjolnir tends to impose the impression that the Mjolnir sounds wider...

Disclaimer: Long time listening impressions. 
wink_face.gif

Interesting thoughts. I was hoping the somewhat brighter sound of my Soloist would cool off over time through burn on. Been running the amp for awhile now. It is a little bright, but I find it enjoyable, and smooth even with a pair of T1s. The Mjolnir is such an aggressive sound, just about anything would sound dull next to it. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,505 of 3,541
The "bright" sound of your Soloist won't cool off over time. Sorry. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,506 of 3,541
You might tune it a tad by using another source - maybe. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,507 of 3,541
I thought at first the HE6 pairing was a bit better than the HD800 although both sounded excellent the HE6 was a tiny bit better. However today I decided to stop being lazy and change the HD800 pads to a new one since the old ones I had were really old, had some color fading and the black was flaking off a bit. I changed the pads to the new ones and at the same time removed the Anaxilus mod and the HD800 pairing sounds even better. I don't know which one is the reason but it's probably a combination of the two. I never felt there was an issue with the HD800 but tried the mod anyway and it doesn't make a huge difference to me really.

With both the HE6 and HD800 it really is hard to choose one. I'm leaning towards keeping them both but right now they sound very good. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #1,508 of 3,541
Quote:
I thought at first the HE6 pairing was a bit better than the HD800 although both sounded excellent the HE6 was a tiny bit better. However today I decided to stop being lazy and change the HD800 pads to a new one since the old ones I had were really old, had some color fading and the black was flaking off a bit. I changed the pads to the new ones and at the same time removed the Anaxilus mod and the HD800 pairing sounds even better. I don't know which one is the reason but it's probably a combination of the two. I never felt there was an issue with the HD800 but tried the mod anyway and it doesn't make a huge difference to me really.

With both the HE6 and HD800 it really is hard to choose one. I'm leaning towards keeping them both but right now they sound very good. 

So i take it you find the D2 and the Mjolnir to be a good pairing?

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,509 of 3,541
Quote:

So i take it you find the D2 and the Mjolnir to be a good pairing?

I have the D1 and I find it to be a good pairing. I have never heard the D2 however.

I think as long as there's a high quality dac with not much coloration it should pair well with any amp depending on preferences.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,510 of 3,541
Stupid question, but can you hook the mjolnir up directly to my macbook pro without a DAC temporarily somehow? I plan on getting a Gungir but can't pull one right now, OR would getting the Gungnir first make more sense? The LCD3s drained me a bit lol.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #1,511 of 3,541
I guess it's technically possible to use a 1/8 to RCA splitter, but ... don't.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,512 of 3,541
No offense, but I don't understand why you'd get an LCD3 if you have a limited budget, and no DAC or amp to drive it with. What was your thought process when you decided to buy the 3s over the 2s? Just super curious. I personally would've got the LCD2 and the Gungnir/Mjolnir because I honestly could not justify the improvements in the LCD3 to be worth an additional $1000. If you have enough to buy a Mjolnir OR a Gungnir, then you could've just got both and an LCD2, eh? Oh well.
Quote:
Stupid question, but can you hook the mjolnir up directly to my macbook pro without a DAC temporarily somehow? I plan on getting a Gungir but can't pull one right now, OR would getting the Gungnir first make more sense? The LCD3s drained me a bit lol.

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #1,513 of 3,541
Quote:
No offense, but I don't understand why you'd get an LCD3 if you have a limited budget, and no DAC or amp to drive it with. What was your thought process when you decided to buy the 3s over the 2s? Just super curious. I personally would've got the LCD2 and the Gungnir/Mjolnir because I honestly could not justify the improvements in the LCD3 to be worth an additional $1000. If you have enough to buy a Mjolnir OR a Gungnir, then you could've just got both and an LCD2, eh? Oh well.

Quote:

The process of avoiding the "upgrade" alot of ppl seem to do from the lcd2 to lcd3, the fact that I haven't heard the LCD2s, and the way I see it, why not get the upgraded headphone rather than the amp, that's the more substantial upgrade TO ME. I have enough to buy the mjol or gug RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean 2 weeks from now I won't be buying the other. Im going to buy 1 now and I want to use it til I get the other, what is wrong with that? I don't know why someone needs an unlimited budget to buy some headphones. Maybe you say that, because ppl often pair the LCD3s with expensive 3k amps, which of the ones I've seen, look horrible to be honest. I'd find it very hard to spend 3k on something that has 0 aesthetic appeal to me.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,514 of 3,541
Mjolnir and Gungnir is a solid choice (semi pun intended).

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,515 of 3,541
Quote:

The process of avoiding the "upgrade" alot of ppl seem to do from the lcd2 to lcd3, the fact that I haven't heard the LCD2s, and the way I see it, why not get the upgraded headphone rather than the amp, that's the more substantial upgrade TO ME. I have enough to buy the mjol or gug RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean 2 weeks from now I won't be buying the other. Im going to buy 1 now and I want to use it til I get the other, what is wrong with that? I don't know why someone needs an unlimited budget to buy some headphones. Maybe you say that, because ppl often pair the LCD3s with expensive 3k amps, which of the ones I've seen, look horrible to be honest. I'd find it very hard to spend 3k on something that has 0 aesthetic appeal to me.

Maxvla's point is that all of the hi end headphones are part of a chain. If any component in the chain is a lower level piece then you will not get the full value from any of the others. The LCD3's are fantastic, unfortunately they require great source/DAC, Amp and possibly cables to reach their full potential.

It does take time but you certainly have a great start in your future system with the LCD3's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back