Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Oct 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,486 of 3,541
The heat is generated from the bottom and has to wrap around to heat up.  Mine stabilized after about 24 hours, maybe more.  Once fully stable it's about the same as a B22 or Peak.

Do they sell amps with noise? Who would buy that. I'd think no noise on any level is logical.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,487 of 3,541
My amp is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I won't be home then so hopefully someone is home to pick it up. If not I'll get it Wednesday or Thursday by picking it up somewhere.

I'm looking forward to getting it back :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,488 of 3,541
Quote:
Whoever stated that these Mjolnir impressions are likely heavily influenced by source was spot on. With the Bifrost behind it and the HD800 at the end of the chain I never found the sound grating, but there was a slight etch in the upper registers apparent in some recordings. Depth also did not match the width of the soundstage. The centre image was too upfront and lacked some layers.

These things are no longer evident with the Gungnir in place. The presentation is extended through both extremes of the frequency range, deep and taut through the low end, balanced and transparent throughout the mids and smooth and spacious through the treble. There's now precise placement of elements and gone is the 3 blob imaging. These qualities are in large part due to the Gungnir. I hear these differences through my speakers as well. What's apparent in regards to the Mjolnir though is that it allows all the good stuff through, unaltered. It is not inherently bright or abrasive, flat and lacking dimension.

Nice.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,489 of 3,541
I got my Mjolnir amp back today :) I didn't think anyone was going to be home but got a nice surprise when I saw that tracking said it was shipped. There's also no dents or anything this time so I'm happy that Schiit handled everything even though it wasn't their fault. That's good customer service right there. 

I have my rig as the D1 dac, Mjolnir amp and the HD800 and HE-6 :) I wasn't planning on buying the HE6 and selling the V200 amp but things change. I won't have any impressions for at least a week to give it a fair shot since both the HE6 and Mjolnir is new. I think I may get my AD2k balanced so I could use it on the Mjolnir as well but not sure yet. I'll have both my HD800 and HE-6 balanced so it does make sense but I'll give it some time first.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #1,491 of 3,541
Quote:
I got my Mjolnir amp back today :) I didn't think anyone was going to be home but got a nice surprise when I saw that tracking said it was shipped. There's also no dents or anything this time so I'm happy that Schiit handled everything even though it wasn't their fault. That's good customer service right there. 

I have my rig as the D1 dac, Mjolnir amp and the HD800 and HE-6 :) I wasn't planning on buying the HE6 and selling the V200 amp but things change. I won't have any impressions for at least a week to give it a fair shot since both the HE6 and Mjolnir is new. I think I may get my AD2k balanced so I could use it on the Mjolnir as well but not sure yet. I'll have both my HD800 and HE-6 balanced so it does make sense but I'll give it some time first.

Congrats on the turnaround rawrster! Great service is always appreciated....

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,492 of 3,541
It could have been quicker had I shipped out the Mjolnir earlier but I can't complain about Schiit's customer service. It's nice to see a company delivering good products and not neglecting the customer service part of this. I feel many times we head-fi members are much more lenient when things go wrong and overlook that when the product is great.

I don't think I'll recable my AD2k yet but eventually. I have never liked the cable as I felt it was a cable of a budget headphone rather than a headphone of the AD2k's ability. It will take a few months as I'm going to wait for my new toys to settle in. Also the AD2k will be my least used headphone so not really that important.

The amp is just how I remember it. It sounds great out of the box and if it doesn't get any better that would be just fine with me and I wouldn't regret my purchase at all. I can only imagine what their statement amp is supposed to be like but I don't think I'll be going for that but of course things could change. I bought the HE-6 recently and have the HD800 so it would be interesting to see how things work out for those 2 headphones. I already know the HD800 sounds great with it and I have a feeling the HE-6 will be the same. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,493 of 3,541
I was under the impression that you could get your ad2k reterminated with other jacks so you can use your other cables to insert into the jack of the AD2k instead of getting a whole nother cable.
Quote:
It could have been quicker had I shipped out the Mjolnir earlier but I can't complain about Schiit's customer service. It's nice to see a company delivering good products and not neglecting the customer service part of this. I feel many times we head-fi members are much more lenient when things go wrong and overlook that when the product is great.

I don't think I'll recable my AD2k yet but eventually. I have never liked the cable as I felt it was a cable of a budget headphone rather than a headphone of the AD2k's ability. It will take a few months as I'm going to wait for my new toys to settle in. Also the AD2k will be my least used headphone so not really that important.

The amp is just how I remember it. It sounds great out of the box and if it doesn't get any better that would be just fine with me and I wouldn't regret my purchase at all. I can only imagine what their statement amp is supposed to be like but I don't think I'll be going for that but of course things could change. I bought the HE-6 recently and have the HD800 so it would be interesting to see how things work out for those 2 headphones. I already know the HD800 sounds great with it and I have a feeling the HE-6 will be the same. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,494 of 3,541
The AD2k does not have a replaceable cable. I don't like the stock cable anyway so I would need to send them in to get another cable. I would want a less springy cable and something that also looks nicer.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,495 of 3,541
Yes, my point is you could send your AD2ks off to someone like Peter at Double Helix Cables, and have the jacks replaced with common jacks like Audeze or in your case HD800/Hifiman so you can reuse your cables. This would count as modding your AD2Ks.
Quote:
The AD2k does not have a replaceable cable. I don't like the stock cable anyway so I would need to send them in to get another cable. I would want a less springy cable and something that also looks nicer.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,496 of 3,541
I didn't realize you were referring to that. I could get something like that done but I'll find out in a few months. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing with the AD2k yet. 

Has anyone who have gotten their Mjolnir have any thoughts on them?

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #1,497 of 3,541
Final thoughts on the Mjolnir and BHA-1 as well as some comments on the Gungnir vs Bifrost: http://www.head-fi.org/t/631313/schiit-mjolnir-vs-bryston-bha-1-and-schiit-gungnir-vs-bifrost

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,500 of 3,541
My Mjolnir was supposed to be delivered today, only to find out FedEx required a signature. Well, until tomorrow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back